[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Post by DrPyspy »

Doom Delta is a mod for GZDoom that aims to bring together many elements from the pre-release iterations of Doom, including (but not limited to) the alpha builds, the press release beta, and Tom Hall's Doom Bible. Elements such as the helmet HUD from early alphas, enemy designs, unique characters, and unused weapon concepts return.

The idea is to take these unused concepts and properly flesh them out, giving them the proper attention and polish they deserve. The end goal is to provide a cohesive experience that provides a fun and enjoyable experience with the aesthetic and feel of the pre-release Doom content.

• Four unique characters inspired by the Doom Bible!
  • Three fully functional HUD styles, including the helmet HUD from Doom v0.3!
  • Reimagined weapons such as the Rifle/Bayonet, the Dark Claw, and the Unmaker!
  • New enemies such as the Gargoyle and The Blob!
  • Score system with treasure items and kill bonuses!
  • New powerups such as damage-absorbing shields and the Chaos Field!
  • Vanilla-style sound design!

Fists
Your two closest friends, in case you want to change the formality with your otherwordly invaders... or if you run out of ammo.

Chainsaw
You're technically not supposed to have this, but this makeshift weapon is a great suppressant for nosey demons.

Rifle
A standard issue UAC rifle, hailing from the alpha builds. High accuracy and decent damage make this weapon great for picking off demons from farther away. Comes with a bayonet attached to the barrel!

Shotgun
Ol' reliable, with the original barrel from the alphas. Deliver a nasty blast right up close or from far away; the shotgun is great at both!

Super Shotgun
The UAC's top of the line! Based off of the early SSG design, these two barrels and a hair trigger deliver three times the power of the shotgun.

Machine Gun
The machine gun, returning from Doom v0.3! A rapid-fire weapon used to take down demons faster than the rifle. Be careful, though; it's not quite as accurate.

Chaingun
Six barrels of gunfire, guaranteed to rip enemies into shreds! It starts out pretty slow, but the longer you fire it, the faster it gets. Great for tearing through crowds.

Rocket Launcher
Spews out rockets that can reduce even the toughest enemies to mush. Keep your distance, or you'll be mush too!

Plasma Rifle
This weapon uses energy cells to pump out multi-colored balls of hot plasma, reducing demons to a fine mist in a heartbeat. It's just like Christmas!

BFG 2704
The UAC's top-secret special weapon, with very few models in existence. Sneezes out a flurry of plasma that decimates whatever (and whoever) stands in its way! You'll bust a nut so good you'll take yourself to Red Lobster.

Dark Claw
Hailing from the Doom Bible is this severed demon arm that runs autonomously off of soul energy. Harness it to cast out dark clouds of torment and torture that rip through demons like paper! Runs on human souls.

Unmaker
A cursed mass of flesh and bone hailing from the Doom Bible that unleashes tortured souls to clear a room of a demonic presence. It doesn't have much effect on possessed soldiers or mechanical demons, however. Runs on human souls.

Among the usual Doom items, you can find these new ones lying about:

Shields
Shields are inventory items that protect against specific types of damage. Unlike other devices, you can toggle these at will, conserving energy. Each time the shield successfully blocks an attack, energy is consumed. Shield energy can be replenished by picking up another shield of the same type.

Chaos Field
A demonic sphere of pure, concentrated hatred. Constantly emits a powerful aura that causes demons to fight amongst themselves.

Demon Armor
Carved from the strongest of discarded demon bones, this incredibly durable set of armor absorbs around 80% of all incoming damage. Thanks, Satan!

Soul Jar
A jar filled to the brim with tormented souls. Collecting one will lend you eight souls and expand your maximum capacity from 36 to 66 souls!

Lorelei Chen
Fiercely competitive, Lorelei intimidates most people. She was the undisputed champion of her troop's boxing championship. She lost a bet that meant she had to pull her application for a glory post, leaving her with a post on Phobos. No one calls her Lorelei.

Lorelei is fast, and is a crack shot with the standard rifle and her fists. However, she isn't used to using the bayonet or the chainsaw in combat.

John Pietrovich
Former head of security at Deimos Labs, Pietro grew tired of the overwhelming bureaucracy of the UAC. He was assigned to Phobos by his request, so that he could get away from the epicenter of annoyance while finishing out his term of duty.

John performs well in a variety of scenarios. He excels with shell-based weapons like the shotgun, but has trouble controlling explosive weaponry.

Dimitri Paramo
Dimitri is basically stuck in the low ranks of the military, but that suits him just fine. He wants nothing more from life: give him a clear objective and the chance to release aggression through the freely available high-powered firearms, and he's happy.

Dimitri is notably slow, but his resistance to damage and splash damage makes him a living tank. He's experienced with every weapon in the UAC's arsenal.

Thi Barret
Thi has a friendly, if straight-laced, disposition. Her father was a career soldier that gave Thi a strong sense of duty and honor. She volunteered for the Phobos post with a desire to have a variety of experience in her military career.

Thi is more susceptible to damage, but is able to dodge projectiles better with her high speed and small frame. She excels with the bayonet and the machine gun, but isn't experienced in hand-to-hand combat.

More Screenshots...

Doom Delta v2.5.0 requires GZDoom v4.9.0 or above to run. You will also need a copy of Doom, of course! Either Doom or Doom II will work. You can also take a look at the changelog!

Download Doom Delta v2.5.0!

Official Discord
Last edited by DrPyspy on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:03 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Doom Delta - A delicious mix of Alpha and Beta

Post by Kinsie »

Looking good so far! It's surprisingly difficult to find a good mod based on the old historic content...

That radar in particular looks like a fantastic effect! Is there any chance of releasing information/code separately after you finish and release this?
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

Hey, it might be a better idea to use the 0.5 rifle over the 0.4 rifle. I have some bayonet sprites for the 0.5 rifle floating around if that would help. So far it looks really good and if you want to use any assets from the tei tenga incident go ahead. There are some sprites of the zombie man with a helmet which are from one dead doom bible mod which might help you too
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Kinsie wrote:That radar in particular looks like a fantastic effect! Is there any chance of releasing information/code separately after you finish and release this?
Sure thing!
demo_the_man wrote:Hey, it might be a better idea to use the 0.5 rifle over the 0.4 rifle. I have some bayonet sprites for the 0.5 rifle floating around if that would help.
That'd be awesome if you could send those to me. :D
Aylah_Stimson

Post by Aylah_Stimson »

This looks really great!
Luigi2600

Post by Luigi2600 »

Let's hope this one doesn't get cancelled unlike the other doom alpha related mods.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Time for some updates! I'd like to show off the new (old?) BFG. It's behavior has been replicated from the prerelease quite easily, as ZDoom already has it predefined. For those unfamiliar, originally, the BFG fired a barrage of green and red plasma balls.

Secondly, I was originally going to show the keys off in pictures, but I figured this would be a good time to show off the minimap in motion. In this video, you can see that the keys are distinguished by their constant flashing on the minimap. This helps set the red key apart from normal enemies, who do not flash on the minimap.

In the future, I plan to make the minimap rotate with the player to make it easier to read the location of the blips on the minimap.
Aylah_Stimson

Post by Aylah_Stimson »

That's so cool!
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

I based my bayonet sprites off of sodaholics doom evil unleashed rifle+bayonet
Also his alpha hybrid shotgun looks alot better than the version you are using.
Here you go
Attachments
uerifle.wad
(64.99 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

This mod looks incredible. I love the BFG, I love the new logo or M_DOOM whatever, I love the HUD. :D
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Aylah_Stimson wrote:That's so cool!
Nevander wrote:This mod looks incredible. I love the BFG, I love the new logo or M_DOOM whatever, I love the HUD. :D
Thanks! :D
demo_the_man wrote:I based my bayonet sprites off of sodaholics doom evil unleashed rifle+bayonet
Also his alpha hybrid shotgun looks alot better than the version you are using.
Here you go
Thanks, I hope you don't mind if we decide to use these.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

no, but be sure to credit doom evil unleashed for the sprites. If i can find anything else ill ship it your way
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

So, wait, what about Gamma? Would that be the pre-release version?
PandaDoomer

Post by PandaDoomer »

Damn, this looks pretty good. Hope the rest of the work goes smoothly!
Last edited by PandaDoomer on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
FaggoStorm

Post by FaggoStorm »

Looks awsome!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”