Re: Combined_Arms v2.3: Reloaded edition! (last post here 4-18-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Combine_Kegan

Re: Combined_Arms v2.3: Reloaded edition! (last post here 4-18-23)

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Been looking for some weapons that are a little more unorthodox compared to the number of contemporary options available out there?

Look no further.

>>>>>GRAB IT HERE ON MY ITCH.IO PAGE<<<<<

Thanks to HyperUltra64 for providing the excellent art used on the magazine cover!

(Thank you Skelegant for the lovely boxarts used here!)

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS WILL ONLY WORK ON THE NEWEST 3.0 VERSIONS OF ZANDRONUM.

GZDoom works as well!

WHAT'S NEXT?

Glad you asked, in the coming updates I'll be adding more weaponsets and crate weapons, hopefully a few other surprises as well!

(If you want to send me a little support for this, I got a paypal.me and a Ko-fi. I'm not gonna twist your arm over this though. These updates are coming regardless, this'll just help keep my sorry ass fed.)

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:

CREDITS:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Combine_Kegan on Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:49 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Sgt. Shivers

Re: Combined_Arms, exotic weaponry galore

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

A very fun mod, I played through 50 Shades of Greytall with it over the past week. It's a fun match up!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It's everything I ever hoped it could be!
TheAdmantArchvile

Post by TheAdmantArchvile »

Stop. I can only get so erect.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

What's exactly in the arsenal?
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

MJ79 wrote:What's exactly in the arsenal?
just updated the OP, check the weapons list spoilers!
Darsycho
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Darsycho »

Purdy. Imma give it a go later on.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Wow, what a surprise! This honestly feels quite wonderful, but, I have a few nitpicks (like, 2 really)

The rocket launcher's main fire, you might want to have the actual explosion last just a little longer, just for visual effect. For a while there, I wasn't actually sure if it was exploding or not.

Also, could you make so I can manually reload the pistol, instead of waiting/using the altfire? It's mostly from playing trailblazer a ton, and always manually reloading Cradle & Grave all the time. (infinite ammo clip based pistols, if you weren't aware)
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

I like this and I agree with the manual reload pistol idea.

When I get back home tomorrow, I'll sit down and give it a little more love.
(That axe is sick and I like it.)
Carrascado

Post by Carrascado »

Wow, this mod is wonderful! It feels really fresh and original.

If I had to criticise something, I would say that the nailgun would look cooler with a muzzle flash, but it's nice anyway. And no BFG? :P

Please keep updating this weapons mod, it's really nice.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

This mod is amazing. I give it a brick to the face/10
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

this feels like a brand new RSL style mod, and man did i miss that a lot
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

No manual reload for the pistol? Ehhhh, no. Freedoom gib noise? Please no. This is another one of those Combine_Kegan mods, which, while feeling fresh and very well animated and smooth, has this underlying layer of mystery cruft that makes me feel as if it'll take me a whole new season trying to work out the depths of the weapon mechanics so that I can fully enjoy the system and, until then, will constantly make me feel as if I'm being inefficient with what I'm doing. Granted, it's a factor higher than GMOTA on the "click-to-make-things-die" pleasing aesthetic I usually like from Doom mods, but I still feel like I'm using up my ammo faster than I need it used or, in some circumstances, can't use it fast enough without getting myself killed due to the way some weapons work, like some altfires being too slow to kill a group or some guns, like the Gnasher, having variable performance based on how long you use them. Ammo type usage is pretty much all over the place and the fact that most weapons just as easily kill you as your foes in the middle of all this weirdness makes me wanna pass.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Zhs2 wrote:No manual reload for the pistol? Ehhhh, no.
Pistol reloads automatically if you leave it idle for a second, which is basically when you would be manually reloading anyway. (I like the option to manually reload, too, but I didn't find it an issue here)
...has this underlying layer of mystery cruft that makes me feel as if it'll take me a whole new season trying to work out the depths of the weapon mechanics so that I can fully enjoy the system and, until then, will constantly make me feel as if I'm being inefficient with what I'm doing.
IDK, I found it pretty straightforward...
Here's one viable strategy that I've discovered:
  • 1. Smash crates until you get the brick.
    2. Kill everything. With the brick.
    3. If that don't work, use more brick.
but I still feel like I'm using up my ammo faster than I need it used or, in some circumstances, can't use it fast enough without getting myself killed due to the way some weapons work, like some altfires being too slow to kill a group or some guns, like the Gnasher, having variable performance based on how long you use them.
I have not encountered any ammo troubles that I would not have encountered in vanilla (e.g. using the chaingun against bosses)
Running out of shells is impossible on like 90% of Doom maps. They're absolutely everywhere; you could completely miss half your shots and still find more than enough.
Cells tend to be plentiful in any map that has them, and here you essentially have infinite cells anyway due to the nailgun altfire.
You get 8 rocket shots for every unit of rocket ammo. Granted, individually they seem to be somewhat weaker than vanilla rockets, but they're faster and the total damage from all 8 is definitely higher than a single classic rocket.
I've never managed to run out of nails, but then again I only really use it (chaingun-replacing weapons in general, really) in maps with lots of zombies... although I do unload on flying enemies and Revenants sometimes.
Everything else either has infinite ammo or recharges.
Ammo type usage is pretty much all over the place and the fact that most weapons just as easily kill you as your foes in the middle of all this weirdness makes me wanna pass.
The only ammo type oddity I've found is the SSG replacer using cells, which works fine considering the nailgun's altfire. Okay, so you can't use it much in Underhalls, but chaingun guys show up in the Gauntlet, which is the very next map, so you don't have to wait long (and the SSG is hilarious amounts of overkill vs zombies anyway so you're actually better off using the regular shotty in the meantime since it's faster)
There are only, like, 3 weapons that you can kill yourself with. One of them is the rocket launcher, which you could already kill yourself with in vanilla, so you should know better by now ( :P ). Daibatana's primary will blow you up, yeah, but I'm pretty sure you can safely use the altfire in close quarters. IDK how many special crate weapons there are, but I've only managed to hurt myself with one of them. :shrug:
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Cardboard Marty »

I've got to post in this topic because I had completely neglected to play this until very very recently.

It all started when I was talking shit to Kegan, mentioning how he never released Combined_Arms after months of teasing. I was met with a puzzled, "But I did release Combined_Arms, you turd-guzzler!" After seconds of back and forth between us, he linked me to this thread. Low and behold, he actually DID release it!

This mod, simply put, is outstanding. There's a level of attention to detail that I think most mods really gloss over, and as of writing this is probably the most fun I've had playing a mod in awhile. As much as I give Kegan shit about going back and forth on design decisions, it clearly has given him an edge on making fun, exciting weapons with a pleasing aesthetic. Most mod authors usually stick to their guns and what you see is what you get. It is VERY apparent that Kegan labored over each weapon, tweaking the functionality until it was just right and fun to use. All of the weapons have something cool hidden about them, a lot of which I don't think I would've immediately noticed had it not been for Kegan excitedly telling me to "check this out".

Really, simply put, this mod is a MUST download and play through. I wholeheartedly recommend it!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”