Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
faslrn

Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Post by faslrn »

VIDEOS

FULL AL-97 GAMEPLAY PLAYLIST

OTHER GAMEPLAY VIDEOS:
Spoiler:
DOWNLOAD

GITLAB

REPORT AN ISSUE

LATEST UPDATES:

Code: Select all

- NEW: Kick sprites updated and translate based on players colour from @Dr_Cosmobyte and @Mr.Enchanter
- FIX: Grenade throwing sprites now use the new darker brown gloves
FEATURES
New monster behaviors, attacks, and sprites: Every monster is tweaked in some fashion to make them more dangerous and even more tweaks in the new Ultimate Agitation difficulty. Check out the Project Scope for more details in what the entails.

New weapon behaviors and sprites: Tweaked to perfection!
  • Pistol is replaced with a Rifle
  • Chainsaw needs to be started up when switched to
  • Fists have a hold attack for a harder smack
  • SSG gibs!
  • Minigun has a separate ammo pool and no reload - unless you run through the previous ammo and need to feed it a new belt
  • Rocket Launcher is now mag based
  • BFG has charge up states like Doom 3
Kicking all around: Your legs are no longer attached to a weapon. You want to kick then you are reloading? Go ahead, it won't stop the animation! You want to kick when switching weapons? No problem! Finally a dream come true for your leg 1 and leg 2! Other player actions are also independent from the weapons so say hello to more fluid gameplay.

Compatible with Heritic, Hexen, and Chex Quest: If you want a bit of different scenery, no worries!

Compatible with monster packs: Love the Faspon weapons but want fight something with bigger teeth and claws like Legion, Dark Doom Creatures, or the other hundreds of choices? Go ahead! You still get access to the Iron Mode, options menu, and other features Faspons has to offer! (Faspons must be loaded before the monster replacement pack)

Details, details: Many weapons, monsters, and actions in the game have been tweaked to provide a more smooth and detailed experience. You rifle is fully out of ammo? Need to reload and make sure you get a round in the chamber. Minigun running low on ammo, watch the belt get eat up as your last bullets go flying by! If you ever have suggestions on how to make things look every cooler or consistent, let me know!

New difficulty - Ultimate Agitation: Monsters projectiles are always faster, no vanilla behaviors, and each enemy has a few new attacks or tricks that make them a bit more difficult to deal with.

"Iron Man" modes: One life - if you die, that is it. Your prior saves will not work if you try to reload them. You have to start a new game. Available in Ultra-Violence and Ultimate Agitation flavours.

Gameplay toggles: Not everyone likes change. You can toggle some features on/off like gibs, the HUD visor, reloading, key saves, etc., to customize the experience.
COMPATIBLE ADD-ONS FOR FASPONS

m8f - Weapon Selection Menu Mod

Pixel Eater - Simple Motion Blur

Nash - Nash's Gore Mod

Nash - SpriteShadow (Duke3D Shadows)

SuaveSteve - Steve's Flashlight Mod

Z86 - Doom IWAD Brightmaps

Nash - Tilt++

Nash - Weapon Sway

TheUnbeholden - Dark Doom Creatures

TheUnbeholden - Snailbullet

faslrn - Ultimate DOOM Visor Hud Patch ( Main File )

faslrn - Doom Nukem Visor Hud Patch ( Main File )

faslrn - NC Hud - Faspons Patch ( Main File )

Tekish - HXRTC Hud

With Lippeth's permission, I have created a mod based off of Weapons of Saturn (http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36821).

Goal: Faster, harder DOOM experience with a focus on gunplay, monster relationships, and their behaviour.

And please, if you have any feedback around balance, features, or bugs; let me know and my army of small chimps will be happy to respond.

PROJECT SCOPE
Spoiler:
CREDITS
  • Lippeth - For the whole mod including coding, sprites, animations, and anything else I missed
  • Johnny - For grenades, sprites, sounds, and having an ape avatar
  • Somagu - For all suggestions, help, and memes
  • Sgt. Mark IV - Brutal DOOM sounds, sprites, and anything else I missed
  • saegiru - Ultimate DOOM Visor hud
  • TheUnbeholden - For testing, advice, and feature ideas
  • DabbingSquidward - For help with the Heretic, Hexen compatibility
  • Ac!d - For help with the Heretic, Hexen, Chex compatibility
  • wildweasel - For http://gunlabs.blogspot.ca/ and the tutorials that taught me a few things
  • SigFloyd - For Brutal DOOM SE sounds
  • Gifty - For Smooth DOOM and how mag drops were implemented (life saver), idle animation sprites
  • Pa1nki113r - Slide sprites and sounds
  • Magmacow - New shotgun and combat rifle sounds
  • STRELOK - New plasma sounds
  • id Software - Quake 4 sounds
  • Valve - TF2 sounds
  • TerryWADArchive - DOOM 3 player sound wad
  • Blue Shadow - NC Hud graphics
  • Blox - Monster death sprites
  • Vader - Monster death sprites
  • ItsNatureToDie - Monster death sprites
  • Kinsie - Monster death sprites
  • Minigunner - Monster death sprites
  • Eriance - Monster death sprites
  • osjclatchford - Monster death sprites
  • PermaNoob - Cacodemon, Imp death sprites
  • Chickenlegz - Demon gib death sprites
  • David G - Monster death sprites
  • Leu Xandro - Chaingun Guy kick sprites
  • Neccronixis - RPG, SSG, Chainsaw, and Chaingun sprite designs. Bloody monster sprites
  • Xaser - Game checker code
  • Dr_Cosmobyte - Sprites
  • @Mr.Enchanter - Sprites
  • Credits from Weapons of Saturn -
    • Beautiful Doom by zer0
    • Brutal Doom by Sergeant_Mark_IV
    • Demon Eclipse by Eriance
    • Accessories to Murder by wildweasel and DoomNukem
    • Weasel Presents: NAZIS v2 by wildweasel
    • DOOMRL Arsenal by Yholl, SoloSpaghetti and Sgt. Shivers
    • Killing Floor by Tripwire Interactive
    • Return To Castle Wolfenstein by Gray Matter Interactive
    • Doom 3 by id Software
  • Mom - For pushing me out. Also, happy mothers day
  • If I missed anyone else that has something in this mod, please tell me.
Last edited by faslrn on Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:05 pm, edited 358 times in total.
Silentdarkness12

Re: Faspons [WoS Mod]

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Forum protip: Try to avoid yellow text. MY EYES

Otherwise, this all looks good to me.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:Forum protip: Try to avoid yellow text. MY EYES

Otherwise, this all looks good to me.
Forgot I was using the dark theme for the boards. hueuhuehueuhue

Made it burnt orange which is probably 50% less worse.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Much better. Thankies.
cem26

Re: Faspons [WoS Mod] - July 3, 2015

Post by cem26 »

simple:this wad featuring bunch of guns and new self funny times?
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

cem26 wrote:simple:this wad featuring bunch of guns and new self funny times?
Well, the guns have a makeover to feel more punchy but I haven't added any additional weapons.

If you consider shooting, kicking, and sliding into monsters funny times, then yes, many funny times.
USSRBear

Post by USSRBear »

faslrn-love your reference to 5th Element =D

I like the mod, weapons feel nice, good sound effects. Any chance of some updated visual effects later on in this mod's life? Voxels, visual fluff like PFEH or BD...etc?
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

USSRBear wrote:faslrn-love your reference to 5th Element =D

I like the mod, weapons feel nice, good sound effects. Any chance of some updated visual effects later on in this mod's life? Voxels, visual fluff like PFEH or BD...etc?
It's something I have in mind but I'm not 100% sure how much visual fluff I will be adding, gameplay will always be first. A goal of mine is being able to play with my mod with no slowdowns on any map pack. I used to play with BD and Smooth Doom but after getting drastic drops on a few map packs, I had to stop. It was some inspiration for making this.

As I stated in my original post, I will eventually replace everything in the mod with original assets as time goes on and have the ability to do so, but I will see what I can do without going to heavy on the visuals that it causes problems with FPS.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Cool! I love what you did with the BFG.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Lippeth wrote:Cool! I love what you did with the BFG.
Thanks :) Inspired by DOOM 3. Loved how it charged so I decided to replicate it here.

Also, uploaded a new version. Added new code to the soul (ghost) enemies spawn frames are the reverse of how they died. So if they got XDeath'd, their ghost spawn will be the reverse frames of that death. It looks hella cool.
Average

Re: Faspons [WoS Mod] - July 4, 2015

Post by Average »

This mod is really good fun. It's a nice balance between the old and the new.

I've been playing Wonderful Doom with this mod along with njsplash and nashgore. I have issue with auto aim and hanging corpses (they become bullet sponges and are indestructible) but I can live with that. :)

Having said the positive, I have an issue with the controls. For some reason, the Faspons control mapping (reload etc) isn't remembered between loads and I have to input them every time I play. I'm using the latest SVN build of GZDoom...

I also have a couple of requests. I really like the 'breathing' animation of the enemies when they're standing still in Brutal Doom (among other mods). Secondly, (I always request this but with little success!) I'd love the chainsaw to be replaced with the Doom 64 sprites - It's just so cheesy and cool with its twin blades. Is there any chance you could add these to your mod?

Thanks for sharing and thanks for reading. :)
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Average wrote:This mod is really good fun. It's a nice balance between the old and the new.

I've been playing Wonderful Doom with this mod along with njsplash and nashgore. I have issue with auto aim and hanging corpses (they become bullet sponges and are indestructible) but I can live with that. :)

Having said the positive, I have an issue with the controls. For some reason, the Faspons control mapping (reload etc) isn't remembered between loads and I have to input them every time I play. I'm using the latest SVN build of GZDoom...

I also have a couple of requests. I really like the 'breathing' animation of the enemies when they're standing still in Brutal Doom (among other mods). Secondly, (I always request this but with little success!) I'd love the chainsaw to be replaced with the Doom 64 sprites - It's just so cheesy and cool with its twin blades. Is there any chance you could add these to your mod?

Thanks for sharing and thanks for reading. :)
Control issue fixed. Blam.

I'll see what I can do about the idle animations of the enemies.

I added the 64 chainsaw (just because it looks kind of cool) :) You can enable it through the options menu. It should also... feel a bit different because of how the offsets look. Should feel more badass.
Average

Post by Average »

Thank you so much for your super quick reply and even more thanks for adding the chainsaw! It is cool, isn't it?

Looking forward to seeing if you can get the idle anims working. :)
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Average wrote:Thank you so much for your super quick reply and even more thanks for adding the chainsaw! It is cool, isn't it?

Looking forward to seeing if you can get the idle anims working. :)
You're welcome :)

Also, fuck Zandronum and the pit it came from I got Zandronum compatibility back! :rock:

Worst time coding this ever. Essentially had to find a replacement for A_RadiusGive for the soul resurrections as Zand didn't support it. So, I used some ACS and struggled to figure out why it wasn't working properly. It isn't as pretty but it works.
Average

Re: Faspons [WoS Mod] - July 5, 2015

Post by Average »

I'm not sure if the error is with Faspons or with Sunlust (it's still in beta). Map one plays fine. However, GZDoom (lastest SVN) freezes as soon as the player moves at the beginning of map two. The map does have new graphics but it is Boom compatible. Here's the link to the WAD if you're interested:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/6 ... -released/

:)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”