GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action (last post here 4-18-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Combine_Kegan

GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action (last post here 4-18-23)

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Fantasy arcade beat em up action awaits you in GMOTA, tear through the hoardes of monsters with powerful melee weapons and special subweapons!

Newest Version!

GRAB IT HERE ON ITCH.IO

THE ROADMAP
I've surprised a few people when I mentioned I plan on adding more content to GMOTA, so let's get this sorted out with a little roadmap so you guys can keep track of what I got planned in the future. I have no release dates on the coming updates but this is better than leaving people in the dark.

One last hero is planned, Samson will feature a retracting chain whip, throwing flasks, and a bow gun!

(I'll add this here too, if you wanna support me I got a Patreon and a paypal.me. These updates are coming no matter what, but any support will keep me fed.)

NEW FEATURES:

Massive overhauls for Blaz and Doomslayer! Many subweapons removed, others finetuned to be far more useful! Kustam being benched until 2023 so he can get buffed properly!

THE HEROES
Spoiler:
THE MONSTERS
Spoiler:

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:

Credits
Spoiler:

KNOWN ISSUES
Spoiler:
Changelog
Spoiler:
Last edited by Combine_Kegan on Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:50 pm, edited 69 times in total.
FireHusky

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set

Post by FireHusky »

Hehe, this is sort of fun to play around with. As of now, I didn't kill any enemies yet and I'm already swinging the sword around. :D
To be honest, I was a little hesitant to try it out because there's no screenshots.

edit: Tried it out on some enemies, and weapons 1-3 hit kills the smaller-medium enemies (like imps and demons). That's a little overpowered, don't you think? :?
Average

Post by Average »

^
Though I haven't tried it yet. That doesn't sound overpowered to me. Have you used the SSG? :P

Also, if you've only got the 4 weapons then that means playing through entire mapsets without ever gaining the chaingun, plasma gun, rocket launcher or, indeed, the BFG... :)

Looking forward to trying it out.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Really fun to play :D

Well done and i can't wait for more :D

EDIT : The grabber cause instant death if used while the enemy you grab with it is shooting at you. Was it intended?
FireHusky

Post by FireHusky »

*splat* [outdated image]
Spoiler:
As of now, original weapons are still in the game.
Last edited by FireHusky on Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

FireHusky wrote:Hehe, this is sort of fun to play around with. As of now, I didn't kill any enemies yet and I'm already swinging the sword around. :D
To be honest, I was a little hesitant to try it out because there's no screenshots.

edit: Tried it out on some enemies, and weapons 1-3 hit kills the smaller-medium enemies (like imps and demons). That's a little overpowered, don't you think? :?
Sorry about not posting any screenshots. Fixed that, and to address your concerns of the sword's power: It's just right, as Average said; you only got 4 weapons, so they're all going to be pretty potent in the right hands.

and don't worry about lacking a BFG, Slot 4 is going to cover your needs for a powerhouse weapon, but you should also try the spike staff's altfire in crowds til then.

Thank you all for trying my mod so far, I've put a lot of thought into this and I want to make sure it's fun and the weapons are satisfying to use.

Endless123 wrote:Really fun to play :D

EDIT : The grabber cause instant death if used while the enemy you grab with it is shooting at you. Was it intended?
Really? That's weird, what enemy did you grab?
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Credits? That Blasphemer wand (the slot 3 weapon) is by Eriance IIRC, the sword is from Hexen, and the wand is either by neoworm or Eriance (can't remember, darn it).
EDIT: Neoworm, although it's been edited with a gray handle and red crystal.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:Credits? That Blasphemer wand (the slot 3 weapon) is by Eriance IIRC, the sword is from Hexen, and the wand is either by neoworm or Eriance (can't remember, darn it).
EDIT: Neoworm, although it's been edited with a gray handle and red crystal.
Yeah I need to get around listing credits, though I was going to wait til I considered this thing done. Lemme get on that right now though
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Combine_Kegan wrote:
Endless123 wrote:Really fun to play :D

Really? That's weird, what enemy did you grab?
All gunners, mostly chaingunners but i got killed a few times by shotgunners as well.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

This was pretty decent even though there are only 3 weapons (with the 4th on the way). Though, I wasn't expecting magic staves as weapons to be in here, I was expecting crossbows or Javelins instead, I guess the title kind of mislead me there. :-P
Combine_Kegan

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Valherran wrote:This was pretty decent even though there are only 3 weapons (with the 4th on the way). Though, I wasn't expecting magic staves as weapons to be in here, I was expecting crossbows or Javelins instead, I guess the title kind of mislead me there. :-P
Yeah I didn't quite think that through with the name, but it sounded good in my head at the time and I think I'll be sticking with it. I've also just uploaded Version 0.5, and added something new and tweaked a few others, please let me know what you guys think.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Oh whoa, that looks nice. The ruby wand looks pretty well in metallic colors.

Since the spike thingy works kinda like the firemace, i thought of macestaff, but it sounds dumb.

If you ever put in a crossbow, tell me, i got cleaned-up strife crossbow sprites :v
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Thanks to the advice and knowledge of some other well-seasoned modders, and the artistic talents of a friend of mine, let me show you something special coming in the next update.

This should help make the gameplay even more fluid
acidhoez

Post by acidhoez »

Combine_Kegan wrote:Thanks to the advice and knowledge of some other well-seasoned modders, and the artistic talents of a friend of mine, let me show you something special coming in the next update.

THAT is awesome, all of your equip animations are pretty damned cool
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

acidhoez wrote:
Combine_Kegan wrote:Thanks to the advice and knowledge of some other well-seasoned modders, and the artistic talents of a friend of mine, let me show you something special coming in the next update.

THAT is awesome, all of your equip animations are pretty damned cool
I'll make sure to tell my friend his animation is so well liked, we're trying to figure out the sword's transformation into its powered state, sadly it's looking like it won't be nearly as dramatic as the wand's, but it's still going to be pretty looking.

Once I tweak the balance a little more on the powered sword's alt attacks, get its unique animation going, and fix the drawing and sheathing sounds, GMOTA V0.6 will be ready and my weapons will be pretty much done. But I still have the HUD and powerups to get started on.

Oh and I gotta make a trailer too, easier said than done on my poor toaster tower, but I should be able to scrape by.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”