X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 04-11-16 UPDATE)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 04-11-16 UPDATE)

Post by TheRailgunner »

In case you'd rather just cut to what's newest/at the end of the thread:
Spoiler:
I've put a lot of love into X-Weapon from the start, and while that start wasn't pretty, I'm happy with what it has become. Not SATISFIED, mind you - that's saved for more bug fixing, rebalancing, and new content, and so on. However, with a greater proliferation of high-quality angled spritesets, I feel compelled to work on X-Weapon's successor, which will carry the Helsturm title. This, along with Project Operation Unthinkable, will see X-Weapon's updates diminishing in frequency; however, until work actually begins on either Helsturm or POU, I will be refining what I've got right now, in the hopes that my future projects will have an exceptional standard to live up to and grow from.

Anyone looking for the most recent Helsturm transitional build should direct their full attention to clicking on this discolored text...unless you're looking for the newer experimental build, in which case the discolored text you seek is at the bottom of the spoiler above. The normal build of Helsturm is non-functional for reasons I have yet to understand - the experimental build is currently the only working Helsturm build.

A few things before you go on a murderous rampage:

*This mod was designed for GZDoom. It CAN be run in ZDoom, but the visual presentation of the mod will likely suffer for it.
*Reload system is clip-based.
*Every weapon has a rare, upgraded counterpart, which replaces the normal version upon pickup.
*The Doom monsters you all know and love have been given a few much-needed boosts, and a number of them use the same weapons you do!
*That's pretty much it. Get to killing!

X-Weapon screenshots and info:
Spoiler:
Helsturm changelog:
Spoiler:
X-Weapon changelog:
Spoiler:
To-do - Helsturm:
*Polish SSG ADS sprites
*Sprites and new code for shotguns, remaining super shotguns, explosive weapons, energy weapons, and triple chaingun
*Sprites for third pistol
*Possibly new enemies?

To-do - X-Weapon:
*Add CVARS allowing players to select what sets of weapons spawn (normal, upgraded, or unique, or combinations of the three) - sometime soon, I hope
*Balance following user feedback - ongoing
*Sweet-ass altfire for the Explosive Fist - next update
*Configure replacements for other games - update after next
*Give the Tactical SG iron sights - someday

This mod uses a lot of resources from other modders' works - I can only hope that I can do their time and effort justice by using them well. Credit goes out to:

*Wildweasel (the bulk of the mod takes from Accessories to Murder)
*DoomNukem (resources from AtM)
*Voxelbro (voxel casings, assault rifles)
*Eriance (Super Shotgun sprites, sprite base for Tactical Shotgun, Mancubus and Caco sprites, all varieties)
*Slax (base for Magnum sprite work)
*JoeyTD (handless sprites for Tactical Shotgun)
*PillowBlaster (code, hitpuffs from Russian Overkill, BFG selection sound)
*Doomer1 (Nighthawk pistol)
*Mike12 (Demontech Rifle)
*Zrrion (Phasic Launcher, BFG)
*TorridGristle (Explosive Fist)
*IMX (Baby Cacodemon)
*Bane (Quad Shotgun, upgraded BFG)
*MagSigmaX (Altfire select sound)
*BlueShadow (pointer about using NoDelay flag)
*Id Software
*Banjo Software

If you see any resources in this mod that I didn't give proper credit for, let me know and I'll promptly rectify the issue.

HUD credits go to Esselfortium (original BTSX HUD), Blackfish (code base, HUD structure), and Lippeth (secondary ammo counter line). The No-HUD version of this mod is no longer offered, as I do not wish to support four separate versions of this mod.

I've updated the download link: X-Weapon

If you want just the weapons and no monsters: X-Weapon, sans creatures

And if you want all monsters and no weapons: X-Enemies
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Mon May 30, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 96 times in total.
eclipse
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): where did the discord field go

Re: X-Weapon: The Weaponing!

Post by eclipse »

Downloading now,will play when I have the time. :)
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This looks neat. Ill have to check it out later.
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

Honesty is the best policy here, I don't disagree with the "A mod shoddily cobbled together from stuff" line, it is a real hatchet job but I do have nice things to say about it too.

I really like the desert eagle, feels quite satisfying to shoot. The rocket launcher that shoots the red stuff looks pretty fucking cool too and the gun fist thing very cool, overall its fairly fun lots of nice stuff the ar's fire rate slowing down in ads mode is a nice touch. does Eriance have a pack with all his guns? I really like the ssg, really well done, if anything I do have a complaint with the inconsistency with hands, but you've already stated you'd fix that. could use a fair bit of polish but not bad so far.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

its like an HD version of those mods that take from other mods and literally do mineute changes
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

TheRailgunner wrote: Bugs:

*Currently, GZDoom will display a warning message stating that "DoomPlayer" is referenced more than once. This is because, despite my best efforts, I can't get the mod to work properly without DoomPlayer being the player class (as opposed to a player that replaces DoomPlayer).
Adding new player classes

It's as simple as giving the player class a different actor name (DoomPlayerX), then adding a mapinfo lump with this:

Code: Select all

GameInfo
{
	PlayerClasses = "DoomPlayerX"
}
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Not wanna sound like an ass, but it feels like reskin of Weasel's mod (Heck, shotgun and rifle are completely the same). I realise it can be hard to be original with gun design these days, but you could at least bother to alter it a bit more... I mean, it feels like copy-paste of the guns decorate Weasel made, recolored copy-paste of effects I made for Weasel, altered damage values, and that's pretty much all of the mod. I like the fact you did something of your own in terms of fist or demontech rifle, as they truly have their own behaviour, and I suggest figuring something like that with the rest.

Also, you can of course use the stuff I wrote, but I have one request - could you put this in decorate files for effects I did?
Spoiler:
And I recently realised from where were the explosions I used in RO - just credit Epic Games for those, as they're from Unreal. Thanks in advance. :P
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Okay, uh, yeah, not cool. I don't mind if you want to borrow things from mods I've made, and kudos at least for giving credit in your post, but I generally would appreciate it if you'd ask first, and a lot of stuff seems to just be ripped wholesale (the Shotgun, AR, Rocket Launcher, BFG) with not much else except aesthetic changes. I generally don't like seeing bits of mods I've made being put into other weapon mods, to be honest.
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

This sorta just looks like a camouflage version of wildweasels' mod.
Last edited by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Ctrl+Alt+Destroy wrote:
wildweasel wrote:I generally don't like seeing bits of mods I've made being put into other weapon mods, to be honest.
Quite frankly, I don't either. It looks to me like most of this stuff was ripped straight from wildweasel's mod. Some of the weapons even have the exact same sounds. No thanks.
wildweasel wrote:Okay, uh, yeah, not cool. I don't mind if you want to borrow things from mods I've made, and kudos at least for giving credit in your post, but I generally would appreciate it if you'd ask first, and a lot of stuff seems to just be ripped wholesale (the Shotgun, AR, Rocket Launcher, BFG) with not much else except aesthetic changes. I generally don't like seeing bits of mods I've made being put into other weapon mods, to be honest.
I understand your positions on this. To be honest, the reasoning behind putting this out there in the first place was that I happened to enjoy it, and that maybe someone else might too. Still, you're right, I really didn't change much (damage/balance changes and not much else). With this in mind, I might just pull the file and the post - no sense keeping it up in that regard.
PillowBlaster wrote:Also, you can of course use the stuff I wrote, but I have one request - could you put this in decorate files for effects I did?
Spoiler:
And I recently realised from where were the explosions I used in RO - just credit Epic Games for those, as they're from Unreal. Thanks in advance. :P
I'll add this to the credits page.
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

i will admit the pistol and demon laser are awesome weapons and fit very well with ATM at the least
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: X-Weapon: The Weaponing! [Removed by user]

Post by wildweasel »

I would at least like to see you expand on what you've got here. The unique weapons are actually not bad; I'd just like to see more of them.
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

The weasel speaks.
Last edited by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Yeah, removing the mod link wasn't really necessary, and it seemed like you've got some really original ideas. You can reupload the link, and build on it as your DECORATE skills improve. Also, if you want, you can try asking me if you want some of the weapons further edited to make this mod less like Accessories to Murder.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] X-Weapon: The Weaponing!

Post by TheRailgunner »

wildweasel wrote:I would at least like to see you expand on what you've got here. The unique weapons are actually not bad; I'd just like to see more of them.
I'm putting up a version with just the unique weapons - I'll update the first post appropriately.
Hellstorm Archon wrote:Yeah, removing the mod link wasn't really necessary, and it seemed like you've got some really original ideas. You can reupload the link, and build on it as your DECORATE skills improve. Also, if you want, you can try asking me if you want some of the weapons further edited to make this mod less like Accessories to Murder.
To be honest, the reason I imported so many of the AtM weapons was because I was too lazy to resprite and recode original replacements for the shotguns, chaingun, rocket launcher, and BFG (there's really only so many ways one can make an M4/M16-like assault rifle, for example - AtM's AR feels like a beefier version of the Brutal Doom AR in-game.). That said, I will eventually add replacements for those weapons. It's really a matter of acquiring original-looking sprites for them (I can do the DECORATE myself, that's no problem).

EDIT/BUMP: A few new things on the way:

UPGRADES!

Each weapon will have a rare, more powerful version, with higher ammo capacity, damage, and rate of fire, as well as alt-fires for a few:

*The Nighthawk Pistol upgrades to a blue handgun with increased damage, higher accuracy, slightly improved reload speed and ROF, and a clip increase from 7 to 10.
*The Shotgun upgrades to an all-black shotgun with higher damage, ROF, clip size (from 6 to 8), and a wider, more horizontally oriented spread.
*The Super Shotgun upgrades to a quad-barreled shotgun, with increased spread and damage.
*The AR/Chaingun replacement upgrades to an all-black, blue-scoped AR with higher ROF, damage, and a clip size increase from 30 to 40.
*The Phasic Launcher upgrades to a gray launcher with higher-damage yellow-orange projectiles, slightly decreased ROF, a clip size decrease from 8 to 4, and a burst-fire mode.
*The Demontech Rifle upgrades to a stabilized demon-plasma rifle, with two alt-fires (burst and assault, which sacrifices accuracy for ROF), no damage to the wielder, and a clip size increase from 40 to 60.
*The BFG upgrades to a prototype plasma cannon, launching the familiar green energy balls we know and love, and sports a spread-fire alternate firing mode, as well as increased damage. To compensate for the ridiculous amount of damage it does, it hurts the shooter, unlike the normal BFG - use with caution.

While the upgraded weapons are all complete, a few of their basic counterparts still need differentiation from the AtM weapons on which they were based. Furthermore, both BFGs might be too powerful even for, well, Big Fucking Guns. In addition, I'm taking the time to ensure that all of the extra sprites used are safe to use before another release.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”