Lagomorphs of Gor - now on /idgames!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Lagomorphs of Gor - now on /idgames!

Postby Woolie Wool » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:55 pm

titlepic-large.png

DOWNLOAD (10 MB) (Doomworld /idgames)

Way back in 2016, I had binge-played just about every wad related to Doom the Way Id Did all in a row and decided to try my hand at E1-style mapping myself. Eventually I lost interest in the project, but not before making four of a planned nine maps for the episode, taking inspiration from primarily from Romero and Hall, but also Dr. Sleep, Paul Corfiatis, and esselfortium's "material" texturing style. These maps take advantage of mild ZDoom features, including two new enemies, Eriance's Watcher and my own Squire, and reskinning the chaingun into an assault rifle that looks and sounds different but has the same behavior. But more importantly, the wad has a score, bonus, and treasure system similar to Wolfenstein 3D's to encourage exploration. Rather than letting this sit on my hard drive and eventually get lost, I decided to put it out on the internet for other people to enjoy. This wad should play on any flavor of *ZDoom released in the past few years. Difficulty settings are included, and jumping and crouching are disabled through mapinfo. I recommend using the software renderer and Vanilla Essence to get the intended atmosphere.

CREDITS
Spoiler:

STORY
Spoiler:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Woolie Wool on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Woolie Wool
Call Apogee Say "Snappity!"

Discord: Woolie Wool#9878
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Lagomorphs of Gor - 4 ZDoom maps in the Knee-Deep style

Postby Enjay » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Good to see a Woolie Wool project. :D

Really enjoyed these maps. I'm a sucker for episode 1 stuff and this is a nice modernised take on the look and feel of the episode but with mopre extensive layouts and more cunning stuff going on than was possible in 1993.

I liked the layout of all the maps - fun to explore, alternative routes, plenty of secrets and logical. I never felt hopelessly lost or like I couldn't figure out which way I needed to go, but there was enough fun and challenge exploring and figuring out how to gather the keys etc. The extra items and kill rewards were fun but I'm not sure what benefit they have other than knowing I was successful (and maybe that's enough).

Interesting choice to import so many Doom1 features into Doom2. It must have been almost as easy to get it to run Doom instead. Not a criticism - just an observation.

Personally, I'm not sure that the watcher enemy works simply because its fireball moves so fast, it feels unlike all the other enemies - but that's a very minor gripe and it does fill a nice enemy niche.

The rifle is silent when it fires.

I wasn't particularly looking for bugs but the second map had a few things that just jumped out:
Spoiler:

All in all though, a good fun map set that I will definitely play again. :thumb:
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Woolie Wool » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:46 pm

Thanks! I just fixed all the bugs you mentioned and updated the download accordingly.
Woolie Wool

Postby SiFi270 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:14 am

Just before the exit in E1M2, it's possible to get softlocked if you climb onto the crates leading back to the starting area and then drop here.
Screenshot_Doom_20200614_100453.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200614_100459.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SiFi270

Postby Enjay » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:45 am

A couple more things on the second map. Or, rather, I think that they are things where the fix for what I pointed out before is incomplete/broke other stuff.

This hole in the wall now has DOORTRAK on one side:

it looks like this on the other side:

and the door that was glitched before doesn't have DOORTRAK on its runner and it's not lower unpegged either.
Enjay

Postby Woolie Wool » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:14 am

Download updated with fixes to those bugs too.
Woolie Wool

Postby Enjay » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:41 am

Aw crap, sorry - I forgot to mention this in my previous post. It's possible to get the E1M2 red key without opening the bars. The first time I noticed, I did it completely by accident just by dodging against the bars during a fight.

Enjay

Postby Enjay » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:04 am

E1M3 this time.

In this room:

The platform seems to be missing a lower texture on one side, causing a HOM effect.

(Got to say, I really like the music choice for this map.)
Enjay

Postby Enjay » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:09 am

And an observation about E1M1

This secret room has a switch to open a secondary exit.

However, it's possible to get to the secondary exit without ever entering this room or hitting the switch.

This is because if you approach the normal exit:

and then backtrack, this door is now visible:

and you can just open that door in the normal way and then walk up to the secondary exit door and also open it in the normal way (i.e. although it is linked to the switch, it is also a normal door that does not need the switch).

Of course, it's a bit unusual because the super-secret exit takes you to E1M2 in just the same way as the normal exit does. :shrug:
Enjay

Postby Woolie Wool » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:37 pm

Corrected the E1M1 bug. Now the window switch is required to open the "secret exit". Originally I was going to make an E1M9 that was a ruined underground base with lots of lava and chaingunners, but since I never made that map, I decided to make it go to E1M2 for this release.
Woolie Wool

Postby Enjay » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:58 pm

I thought it might have been something like that. Thanks for the fixes. :)
Enjay

Postby Enjay » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:49 pm

Got another one.

E1M3 - this blue key door...

has one of its lines back to front

so the door cannot be opened from inside the room.

If you are just progressing through the map, it doesn't matter too much because you leave the room via the slime tunnels. However, if you go back looking for items like I was doing, and don't want to go through the slime again, it's more problematic.
Enjay

Postby Jarewill » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:37 am

Found some issues in E1M3:
Spoiler:

But I have to say I really enjoy those maps.
Score items are very underused, so it's always nice to see a mapset use them.
Jarewill

Postby Enjay » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:37 am

Jarewill wrote:Those teleporters have their lines set to not be repeatable, which means that after all 4 lines were activated, the player gets stuck there.

I did notice in the automap that some of them weren't coloured as teleport lines. I didn't notice that they were single-use lines though. Makes sense.

Another thing with those particular teleports is that it's easy to trigger them by accident when you are still walking around on the upper level. Because of the way they are positioned, it's possible to walk like this:
and find yourself teleporting. I've done it several times.

Perhaps the lines closes to the platform edge should have their specials removed?
Enjay

Postby Woolie Wool » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:28 am

Updated again to address those.
Woolie Wool

Next

Return to Levels