[GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.1

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Arvy
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:42 am

[GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.1

Post by Arvy »

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/986nmQV[/imgur]

Diabolus EX v1.1

//About

DOOM meets Deus Ex.

This map is a love letter to cyberpunk genre as a whole and the Deus Ex franchise in particular.
Using the whole new set of custom made textures, the project aims to recreate the look and vibe of an unethical
near future corporation run by the forces of hell.

This is an exploration-heavy map that has multiple ways to progress through.

Hope you enjoy it!

PS I'm also including a separate WAD containing all of my textures and ANIMDEFS.
Feel free to use them in your own mapping projects! Credit is appreciated.


//Changelog

v1.1

Added:
- Ultraviolence and Nightmare difficulty support
- New Menu background and logo graphics
- Easter egg credits room

Fixed:
- archive filesize reduced in half (thanks to _mental_ from ZDoom forums)
- typos and mistakes in some Japanese textures
- the repeatable teleport bug in Data Transfer section
- the repeatable blue keycard elevator bug
- some texture misalignment

//Requirements

IWAD: DOOM2.WAD
Sourceport: GZDoom (tested on several latest versions)
Movement: Heavy usage of crouching, jumping and freelook
Rendering: OpenGL
Texture Filtering: None (Nearest Neighbour)

//Installation

1. Extract DEX_1.zip into your GZDoom folder
2. Launch the map via Diabolus_Ex_1.1.bat to play with the intended settings

//Credits

Level Design and Art by Arvell aka Arvy (https://twitter.com/Arvydas_B)
Music by Dmitry Petyakin aka El-Metallico (https://el-metallico.bandcamp.com/music)
Testing by: Mikhail Kohtov, Darren Weekes, Yaroslav Kravtsov, ProtoSasha, Sean Noonan, Kirill Buyanin, Dmitry
Petyakin

//Downloads

-Diabolus_Ex_1.1
-Textures only WAD

Spoiler: //Screenshots
Last edited by Arvy on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_mental_
 
 
Posts: 3791
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:32 am

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by _mental_ »

Pretty cool, found the map really entertaining. I have a few suggestions though.

Please compression music tracks, preferably store it in Ogg/Vorbis format. Like 99.99% of players won't notice any difference but download size will be reduced significantly.
Elevator after blue keycard door cannot be raised back to upper floor. This is not a walk-through blocker, it's just annoying a bit.
Last but not least, all elevator doors are silent, is it intentional?
User avatar
Arvy
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:42 am

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by Arvy »

_mental_ wrote:Pretty cool, found the map really entertaining. I have a few suggestions though.

Please compression music tracks, preferably store it in Ogg/Vorbis format. Like 99.99% of players won't notice any difference but download size will be reduced significantly.
Elevator after blue keycard door cannot be raised back to upper floor. This is not a walk-through blocker, it's just annoying a bit.
Last but not least, all elevator doors are silent, is it intentional?
Hey, thanks for the feedback!

- OK, I'll look into this.
- Which one? The small one in Data Transfer section is moving automatically. And the one that leads to the yard has a button that moves it up or down via a script.
- No, this is a bug, thanks for pointing thit out!
User avatar
m8f
 
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:15 am
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux
Location: Siberia (UTC+7)

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by m8f »

Holy moly! This looks incredible! I like gray/blue/orange color theme, and just right level of detailing - lots of small things, but not over the top.
Spoiler: One minor bug
User avatar
Arvy
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:42 am

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by Arvy »

m8f wrote:Holy moly! This looks incredible! I like gray/blue/orange color theme, and just right level of detailing - lots of small things, but not over the top.
Spoiler: One minor bug
Thank you!

Ooops, yeah, I'm gonna fix it.
User avatar
Cage
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:47 pm
Location: San Escobar

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by Cage »

This some good stuff. The environments are delicious, I wasn't sure if the combat would work in such tight spaces with Doom being so movement based but it was allright.

My only complaint is that I found 3/7 secrets ;_; Got to love those "login attempts" though ;)
Spoiler: minor, visual only bug
User avatar
ArtVandelay
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:10 pm

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by ArtVandelay »

You did it. You made the DOOM texture pack of my dreams. The wait is finally over. I love you.

10/10 aesthetic - TASTEFULLY detailed

Organize a 32 map megawad with this theme NOW!!! <3
_mental_
 
 
Posts: 3791
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:32 am

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by _mental_ »

Arvy wrote:- Which one? The small one in Data Transfer section is moving automatically. And the one that leads to the yard has a button that moves it up or down via a script.
Screenshot_Doom_20180708_121855.jpg
Also, there is a packaging issue I didn't noticed at first. There are several useless lumps which seem be remnants of previous editing.
extra_files.png
With those lumps removed and two music tracks compressed with Vorbis the size of the WAD is reduced to ~10 MB (and ~6.5 MB packed to .zip)

EDIT: As optional features it will be nice to have a custom title screen picture and end game screen instead of Doom II second level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Arvy
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:42 am

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by Arvy »

_mental_ wrote:
Arvy wrote:- Which one? The small one in Data Transfer section is moving automatically. And the one that leads to the yard has a button that moves it up or down via a script.
Screenshot_Doom_20180708_121855.jpg
Also, there is a packaging issue I didn't noticed at first. There are several useless lumps which seem be remnants of previous editing.
extra_files.png
With those lumps removed and two music tracks compressed with Vorbis the size of the WAD is reduced to ~10 MB (and ~6.5 MB packed to .zip)

EDIT: As optional features it will be nice to have a custom title screen picture and end game screen instead of Doom II second level.
Awesome, thanks for looking into it!
I'm definitely gonna make these adjustments in the next update.
User avatar
Korell
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by Korell »

The textures are amazing and it feels like Deus Ex Human Revolution in appearance, so that's great. The music is nice, but got a little repetitive after a while. Would be interesting to see how it would work with custom monsters and weapons. As for it carrying on with the Doom 2 levels, I think you just need to redefine the episode within a MAPINFO to solve that. The cyberspace part was a very nice change in appearance. Maybe there could be different music in that section?
User avatar
Rex705
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by Rex705 »

It would be so cool if you turned this into a nice little map pack. It would be cool to see you do a Metal Gear Solid map next because some of this awesome texture work fits in well so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
User avatar
Zaratul
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:19 am

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by Zaratul »

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-2-map-diab ... ld-school/

Congrats Arvy! Your map is featured in PC Gamer!
User avatar
ReX
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:01 am
Location: Quatto's Palace

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by ReX »

Looks excellent!

I'll wait until you make the bug fixes before downloading & playing.

Also, kudos on the PCGamer article.
User avatar
GeneralDelphox
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:17 am
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.0

Post by GeneralDelphox »

Played it a bit, and I was quite amazed that it runs surprisingly well despite the heavy details of the map. Good job!
User avatar
StroggVorbis
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:23 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: Germany

Re: [GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.1

Post by StroggVorbis »

Played the v1.1 update and noticed that the doors still don't emit sounds. UV-maxed it, but didn't find the credits room, tho. Btw, you should've bumped this thread to announce that it's updated, I only found it out because I saw the thread on Doomworld :p

Return to “Levels”