Elementalism - an ambitious new 32-map megawad

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT Q&A or troubleshooting forums! They are for active projects only! Please use the Editing or General or its subforums for such questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Elementalism - an ambitious new 32-map megawad

Postby Remmirath » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Note: crosspost from Doomworld thread

Announcing Elementalism, a brand new megawad for GZDoom!  Coming soon(ish).

Elementalism takes classic Doom gameplay and combines it with cutting-edge GZDoom enhanced graphical features for an explosive new six-episode Megawad.  Confront and conquer the power of the elements, wield the powerful Elementium-powered wand and take charge through six awe-inspiring locations of elemental carnage!

- Six mini-episodes of 5 maps each, with every episode themed around a mystical element: Earth, Air, Water, Fire, Light and Dark

- Fast, classic, aggressive Doom gameplay

- Atmospheric, top-tier level design, featuring custom textures, ambient sounds, special environmental effects and more.  Journey from ancient Mayan temples in rich jungles to clockwork furnaces and beyond!

- A dynamic and persistent hub map that allows you to move between episodes while keeping your progress through the levels

- 7 brand new boss encounters – one for each episode, and a final boss

- 6 brand new weapons – one for each episode, themed around each of the elements

- Extensive use of cutting edge GZDoom graphical features to enhance the look of the levels, including custom-made environmental models, shadowmaps, portals, GLDEFs, dynamic lights, interpolation points, normal and specular maps, and more (but no fundamental gameplay changes – this is classic Doom at heart!)

All mapping by a handful of experienced mappers:

Image Dragonfly
Image Phade102
Image Remmirath
Image Dreadopp
Image Bauul

With code support, consultation & testing from:

Gutawer
Xyzzy01
Jimmy
leodoom85
Swiftwolf Blacktail
YukiRaven (team mom)

The full credits list including texture artists, music sources etc will be released with the project.

All screenshots are work in progress.  Full-resolution versions available in this Imgur album.

Elementalism utilizes the very latest GZDoom features; it is designed to work with GZDoom 3.3.0 and onwards.  It will require a decent spec PC to run as it makes heavy use of OpenGL 3.0+ specific effects, such as the shadowmaps, normal-maps, MD3 models and more. You will be able to disable some features if your computer is struggling, however.

At the time of writing we’re not 100% certain on the release date as the project is still in a state of infancy, but we’re working hard and are planning for a pre-summer release in 2019.

We'll continue to update this thread with progress over the coming months!
Last edited by Remmirath on Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Remmirath
The doll?!

Discord: Remmirath#0424

Re: Elementalism - an ambitious new 32-map megawad

Postby AvzinElkein » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:38 pm

Is this for Doom (2), Heretic, or Hexen?
AvzinElkein

Discord: AvzinElkein#8621

Postby Remmirath » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm

AvzinElkein wrote:Is this for Doom (2), Heretic, or Hexen?

It's for Doom 2.
Remmirath
The doll?!

Discord: Remmirath#0424

Postby ShadesMaster » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Damn still a whole year away tho, but looks AWESOME!
ShadesMaster

Postby Bigger C » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:59 pm

Holy everlasting yes.

<bookmarks this thread>
Bigger C

Discord: Big C#3352

Postby Nash » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:52 pm

Classic gameplay and modern visuals, that's how you do it. ;)
Nash
Nash Muhandes

Postby ReX » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:56 am

If it wasn't for some of the textures, I wouldn't even have known this is a DooM project.

It looks spectacular! Best wishes.
ReX
Title? I don't need no steenkin' title!

Postby Scripten » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:47 pm

Wow. I am officially losing my shit over this.

Looks incredible.
Scripten
Oh, that's simply delicious!

Discord: Scripten#3195

Postby LukasG2004 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:19 pm

can't wait!
LukasG2004
LJG

Discord: LJG#7048

Postby Machine-Reaper » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:38 pm

can you give us a minor idea of how much of a modern potato you need to run this project smoothly? (Like i5 2nd Gen with 4 gigs of ram can only run ZDCMP2 on 15 fps)
Machine-Reaper
commander tea cup reporting for duty!

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Nash wrote:Classic gameplay and modern visuals, that's how you do it. ;)

That's the gap in the market that needs filling...there's even more interest over at DW atm :o

Machine-Reaper wrote:can you give us a minor idea of how much of a modern potato you need to run this project smoothly?

More than this I'd imagine?

Spoiler:
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Postby Bauul » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:07 pm

Machine-Reaper wrote:can you give us a minor idea of how much of a modern potato you need to run this project smoothly? (Like i5 2nd Gen with 4 gigs of ram can only run ZDCMP2 on 15 fps)

We're trying to keep it as optimized as we can, but it will require some pretty modern hardware just for the graphical features to work. Integrated graphics will likely struggle (if they support OpenGL 3.0 at all) but a remotely dedicated modern graphics card should be fine.

My personal mapping rule so far has been: if with all the GZDoom graphical bells and whistles maxed out my GTX 1060 MaxQ drops significantly below 60 fps, it's time to tone it down.
Bauul

Postby Zen3001 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:09 pm

I hope my craptop manages to run it
Zen3001

Postby Machine-Reaper » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:16 am

Bauul wrote:My personal mapping rule so far has been: if with all the GZDoom graphical bells and whistles maxed out my GTX 1060 MaxQ drops significantly below 60 fps, it's time to tone it down.

Joly crap!

so it seems my GTX965m which can run Doom 2016 at 75 fps on Ultra will not be capable enough considering your using GTX 1060 MaxQ.
Machine-Reaper
commander tea cup reporting for duty!

Postby Bauul » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:10 pm

Machine-Reaper wrote:
Bauul wrote:My personal mapping rule so far has been: if with all the GZDoom graphical bells and whistles maxed out my GTX 1060 MaxQ drops significantly below 60 fps, it's time to tone it down.

Joly crap!

so it seems my GTX965m which can run Doom 2016 at 75 fps on Ultra will not be capable enough considering your using GTX 1060 MaxQ.

By "All the bells and whistles" I do mean things like x32 multisampling. If you can play Doom 2016 at 75 fps you'll be fine!
Bauul

Next

Return to Levels