So this is an idea I came up with, and I pitched it in Discord and it seemed people were interested.
Basically, the idea is taken from the original 20 Monsters Challenge and translated to Heretic.
Rachael, Gutawer, Lud
Zero X. Diamond
- Slots are available, sign up now!
- I will be asking for those, as well, soon!
Evil Space Tomato
Menu Title graphic: Lud
New HUD graphics and coding: Lud
Decoration compilation: Zero X. Diamond
- Only 20 monsters per map. Period.
- Max 1 boss monster of any type (i.e. Lich, Maulator) and only one of these may be used. Because of all the special setup required for him to work properly, D'Sparil is not allowed.
- A maximum of 5 of your 20 monsters may be higher tier (i.e. fireball imps, ghost revenants, ghost and/or "leader" golems). If you include a boss this goes down to 4.
- (UPDATE: The above rule was changed) Your map needs to be beatable without cheats. If you pit the player against tough monsters, give them tough weapons to match.
- Stealth monsters are not allowed. Ghost monsters are.
- Any monsters that spawn in later, or are respawned in any way, also count towards the 20. So if you place a revenant, and it respawns, that counts as 2.
- No custom monsters are allowed
- Custom music and custom textures are fair game, as long as they fit into a fantasy/sorcery/Heretic theme.
- Custom decorations are allowed, as long as there's not many of them that need to be included. (Probably a max of one or two custom decoration definitions per map, but once they're in they can be used as much as you like) They must also fit the fantasy/sorcery/Heretic theme, and may include sounds of their own.
- The maps must be compatible with GZDoom. They can be in any format that GZDoom runs (Heretic, Hexen, or UDMF).
- ACS scripts are permitted
- No instant-death traps unless they are obvious (preferably marked) and easily avoidable.
- Maps will follow a Doom2-episodic format, and will be named MAP##. However you can name your map whatever you want while editing (like E1M1) it will be renamed when the official map slot order is decided (which will be when I have an idea of what everyone's map themes will be).
- More to be determined, as people find ways to abuse the system.
All maps must be submitted and completed by December 28, 2017 at 23:59 UTC. Anyone who is late will forfeit their slot. (This gives 3 weeks)
How to claim a slot:
Simply sign up in this thread. We like in-progress works. We're not going to limit the number of people who can join, however depending on how many do we may limit the number of maps per person as needed to keep the project manageable.
Ask here, or ask in the Discord chat!
- Development branch for the project: https://github.com/drdteam/20heretics
- Decorations: https://www.mediafire.com/file/d5l3530p ... _props.pk3
Zero X. Diamond compiled these from multiple sources:Zero X. Diamond wrote:It's a semi-official prop pack for the project and I went way the hell overboard on its contents. Pretty much everything backported from Hexen, as well as most things from Shadowcaster, some applicable props from Blood, Necrodome, MARS 3D and Quarantine 2, and some add-on props from Mor'ladim. Good lord. Everyone download this goddamned thing.
- Textures: https://mega.nz/#!wN9FUCDK!b3Pb_j7szNcd ... EjwVB1nEh0
Uses the following texture packs from Realm667:
- Heretic II
- Hexen II
- Medieval Textures
- Shadowcaster Textures
- Baker's Legacy