lilith.pk3 - /idgames released!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
anotak

lilith.pk3 - /idgames released!

Post by anotak »

doomworld /idgames download page

direct dl link
/idgames legacy download page
note: requires actual literal zdoom (2.8.1 or newer) or zdoomle. the gzdoom/qzdoom/zandronum software/hardware renderers are all incompatible.

fÍle read lilith.pk3
index entry lilith.pk3 in index $I74 of file 637 is incorrect.
rebuilding lilith.pk3 for zdóom 2.8.1. processing
who am i
errors ƒound. cannot continue¿

more screenshots cbvx

doomworld /idgames download page
/idgames legacy download page
Last edited by anotak on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.
ZZYZX

Re: lilith.pk3 - coming soon

Post by ZZYZX »

anotak wrote:Image
The best archvile I've seen :lol:
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

My hype levels are off the charts and it ain't even October!
anotak

Post by anotak »

ty to the both of you. another screenshot for yall
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

"Whoops, spilled my coffee all over my motherboard again. Naaaah it's must be fine."
Projectionist

Post by Projectionist »

Are you sure you just don't need a new GPU?

You could make that the audio is all screwed up too. And random ear piercing screams of terror / horrible unbearable pain could also be a nice touch.
anotak

Re: lilith.pk3 - release candidate 1

Post by anotak »

some more screenshots and a bump for release candidate 1 (edit: link removed, as RC2 is out)

Last edited by anotak on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

The thread for this mod has been reinstated. Any unpleasantness like before will be split off. It is clear that there are people who wish to discuss about the mod -- to give reviews or friendly critics. So let's make that happen!

Further more, enjoy the glitchy mess that is lilith. :)
Kotti

Post by Kotti »

Hellser wrote:Further more, enjoy the glitchy mess that is lilith. :)
"Glitchy mess" it is.
This thing really stressed my tolerance level beyond all limits. What's the point of creating something this visually unpleasant?
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Kotti wrote:What's the point of creating something this visually unpleasant?
I liked >_>
Aside from that one point that was split (honestly didn't know my post would spawn 3 pages of shitstorm).
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

I like this. Had to take a few breaks every 2 or so levels, but it's perfectly playable, a lot of fun and a little bit delightfully creepy, which I think is helped in no small part by the music and sound editing. Artful and immersive - the glitchy look was clearly achieved very precisely so as to keep the crucial graphics like the weapons and monsters looking mostly recognisable. You can navigate the levels pretty easily if you know roughly what the textures are supposed to look like. :P Feels like a real cartridge-tilt of a game experience. MAP08: Fatal Exception was full-on though and I'm glad I survived that, heh. :stuppor:

It's full of humor too. The player dying causes a lot of wacky shit to happen including all the floors turning into scrollers, which is a nice touch. The intermission texts, pickup messages and cast call ending were pretty funny, too. :D

Thank you for not having any ridiculous jump puzzles (although MAP08 came close with some of its platforming) or places were navigating glitched-out slopes was mandatory (though... maybe that could be cool for what you're going for here?). I found platforms rising and lowering super quickly to be a little bit frustrating, and certain monsters having more health than they should made them a tad annoying to deal with (like a zombieman with like 500 health is basically Door With Health territory), but those were telegraphed by way of being colored differently. I think. There was one "regular" chaingunner in a cage who seemed to take an SSG to the face, and a hell knight I ran into died in the expected number of shots. Maybe it's a little inconsistent? Or do all those specific monsters have 500 HP?

Either way good work here, anotak. :thumb: Now to readjust to the real world. :trippy:
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Jimmy wrote:Thank you for not having any ridiculous jump puzzles (although MAP08 came close with some of its platforming) or places were navigating glitched-out slopes was mandatory (though... maybe that could be cool for what you're going for here?). I found platforms rising and lowering super quickly to be a little bit frustrating, and certain monsters having more health than they should made them a tad annoying to deal with (like a zombieman with like 500 health is basically Door With Health territory), but those were telegraphed by way of being colored differently. I think. There was one "regular" chaingunner in a cage who seemed to take an SSG to the face, and a hell knight I ran into died in the expected number of shots. Maybe it's a little inconsistent? Or do all those specific monsters have 500 HP?
On the other hand, the cyberdemon and spider mastermind have less health than usual. First time I killed one, it seemed to die rather quickly, like it was involved in infighting. But nope, that was just their reduced health.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

All the blue enemies in Guru Meditation indeed seem to have the same number of hitpoints -- the zombies are beefy, the cybie ain't. Interesting touch, along with the infinite-melee-range purple guys in the previous map. :P

Anyhow, I've commented on the mod over on DW, but for the sake of mental copypasta, the thing that really sells the mod for me is how the levels largely aren't just "lolrandom", but feel like things that were once regular ol' maps that got run through the glitch grinder, much like the graphics/sounds. Makes it all mesh well in its own nutzo sort of way.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I enjoyed this mapset until the last map. For some reason, I didn't like it at all :(
The monsters in the middle, the spiders and the couple of cybies were annoying to me because of the freaking projectiles and the nature of the mod itself. It's a relief that it only has 8 maps instead of 32 because if it was long enough, it would lost its touch and it can turn quickly into an annoying and repetitive experience, I tell you that.
Overall, I give this mapset a 8 out of 10.
And....I recorded the whole thing, in the meantime...this

anotak

Post by anotak »

oh, this was unexpected. thank y'all for playing, and thanks for the compliments.
Jimmy wrote:Thank you for not having any ridiculous jump puzzles (although MAP08 came close with some of its platforming) or places were navigating glitched-out slopes was mandatory (though... maybe that could be cool for what you're going for here?). I found platforms rising and lowering super quickly to be a little bit frustrating, and certain monsters having more health than they should made them a tad annoying to deal with (like a zombieman with like 500 health is basically Door With Health territory), but those were telegraphed by way of being colored differently. I think. There was one "regular" chaingunner in a cage who seemed to take an SSG to the face, and a hell knight I ran into died in the expected number of shots. Maybe it's a little inconsistent? Or do all those specific monsters have 500 HP?
yes, they all have the same. maybe it was 500, don't remember anymore.
The zombieman was to introduce the idea that something strange is going on with the health, in a non-threatening environment.
Kotti wrote:"Glitchy mess" it is.
This thing really stressed my tolerance level beyond all limits. What's the point of creating something this visually unpleasant?
sorry you didn't enjoy it.

to answer your question, if you're actually curious:
i really enjoy glitchy music and art, and doom itself always felt kind of glitchy to me. i grew up playing 90s wads and running into homs and tutti-frutti glitches and all sorts of nonsense all over.
i like stuff like moire patterns, the colors that happens when you put a magnet by a CRT, and anything that's well, broken. i wanted to all bring that together, and maybe make something cool.

i also just wanted to bring back that sense of discomfort, fear, but also wonder i felt as a small child playing map01 of doom 2. before that i had only played wolf3d on a black and white monitor. but here were these menacing pixelated creatures in the darkness. playing on that dodgy color crt with the gamma way too low used to give me motion sickness, and scared the shit out of me. but i was hooked anyway?

i also just drew from some really unpleasant personal feelings/issues i've had in my life. i tried to create a doom wad that expressed that. just to vent my emotions. it helped some.

i dont know if i achieved any of that, but that's just what i went for.
leodoom85 wrote:I enjoyed this mapset until the last map. For some reason, I didn't like it at all :(
the last map was the hardest to make, and took the longest, and i agree that it's the weakest. glad you enjoyed the maps leading up to it though! and i look forward to watching your playthrough!

Return to “Levels”