(Many thanks to Kinsie once again for the art!)
This session is over and the maps are complete! Thanks so much to everyone who participated.
Current Release: FINAL (30MB)
Requires GZDoom's OpenGL renderer.
- Some maps employ sloped 3D floors which won't render in software mode.
- ZScript is used to change the IDCLEV cheat's functionality.
Code: Select all
- EPISODE 1: LAST RESORT - E1M1: Rocky Canyon - EcafR8708, RottKing & Jimmy E1M2: Doomguy's Invaded Resort - CanSteam E1M3: Chillin' at the Beach Base - Obake E1M4: Forested Mountain - Dalvi Dandy E1M5: Foghorn Shoehorn - an_mutt E1M6: Villa - NuclearPotato E1M7: Oceanbay - CardboxNeko & Jimmy E1M8: Cavern Base - TheMightyHeracross E1M9: Toom of Domb - Fonze E1M10: Magnus - kyle2959 E1MFINAL: Snakebite Ravine - Alfonzo - EPISODE 2: CITY OF DISSIDENTS - E2M1: Hell's Effect - UAC-Janitor E2M2: Amber Spectrum - Heavyasadeathinthefamily & Pinchy E2M3: Bloodworks - DrPyspy E2M4: Shinko - Nikku4211 E2M5: The Bleeding Bookcase - Dusk E2M6: Date with a Demon - IdiotBitz E2M7: Sacramentvm Diabolica - DooM_RO E2M8: Carmine Delirium - Minimum Payne E2M9: Ever Since the Barons Moved In... - Big Ol' Billy E2M10: Plague Triumvirate - Temin_Dump E2M11: Rondo of Blood - Breezeep E2MFINAL: The Autarch's Keep - Baratus - EPISODE 3: THE VERDANT REACHES - E3M1: Infernal Outback - rf` E3M2: Ill Church - Redead-ITA, kyle2959 & Pinchy E3M3: Citadel of Pain - dankspawn E3M4: The Gatehouse - Benjogami E3M5: The Unbroken Pathway - boris E3M6: Cathedral of Rot - Lord Shadow Z E3M7: If They Move, Shoot 'Em! - amok E3M8: The Bonevault - Benjogami E3MFINAL: Vinelord - Wartorn - EPISODE 4: FRONTIER OF CHAOS - E4M1: Atmospheric Edgeway - Applefat.GOV E4M2: Punchline Commando - AtroNx E4M3: Chroma Quay - Gutawer E4M4: Cage of Discord - SquawkyAtan E4M5: Escape Velocity - Scotty E4M6: Station 359 - Duke Wooze E4M7: Crunk Time - 38_ViTa_38 E4M8: Dimmed Research - A2Rob E4M9: Sand Wedges - Pinchy E4MFINAL: Alienation - Scotty
Episode 1: Canyon/vine bases, beaches, lagoons, gardens. Most common liquid: water.
Episode 2: Autumnal ruined towns, burning/bloodied/decayed cities, wargrounds. Most common liquid: blood.
Episode 3: Green, slime-ridden corner of Hell. Mossy dens, overgrown chapels. Most common liquid: slime.
Episode 4: Space/voids. Hanging rocks, alien ships. Episode will feature many colorful liquids.
Starting July 1st, The Joy of Mapping is returning again to help mappers young and old to get the spark of creativity that they need to make and finish a map all of their own.
This time round, you could be joining a crack team of mappers (new and adept alike) to create a whole episodic megawad of material together. And it'll only take us a week to map it all.
Here's how you can get involved!
Discord server - For general communication before, after, and during the session. I and the tutors/mods are happy to provide answers to any queries you may have!
SERVER RULES AND MAPPING GUIDELINES - Highly important! Please read these!!!
What is this?
- Have you heard of a thing called "Doom mapping" which is that thing a load of snobby retrophiles do for fame and glory?
- Have you opened up Doom Builder maybe once or twice but been utterly intimidated by the interface?
- Does mapping seem to you like something best left to "the professionals"?
- Then come along down! We'll all come together and make a mapset.
To go into detail of what we will be ending up with:
- We will be creating 4 episodes of content - see Ultimate Doom for the general gist. Maps should all be for Doom 2, but they can be any map format GZDoom will load.
- Mappers will need to specify to me which episode they'd like to map for. I will assign you one of four teams to work in that will be tackling each episode. You'll get access to your own voice/text channels to discuss mapping with your teammates and collaborate if need be, plus you'll get the texture WAD that your team of mappers will be working with for your episode.
- Once the teams are together, the person creating the episode starter and the person creating the episode finisher will need to be decided upon. (If this can't be sorted out, then the roles will be doled out at random, but I think we'll figure it out without too much hassle.) The starting map will need to be short and sweet. The finishing map will probably need to be short as well, and feature some sort of climactic fight with one of the boss monsters.
- Collaboration is permitted - i.e. you may start a layout and then give it to another mapper (or offer it to the channel to see who takes it up) so they may add to or finish it. This is in fact encouraged! Builds community, after all.
- Please refer to the MAPPING GUIDELINES (which are also linked above - yes this document is important!) for general rules on how you should be making your map to ensure it's viable for inclusion in the compilation.
- Just so it makes things easy for me, here's an info template for when you come to submit your map:
Code: Select all
``` Map Name: (name of map) By: (name you want to be credited under) Music Track: (name of music track) Music Composer: (name of composer, if known) Build Time: (hours/mins taken, if known) Additional Credits: (credits for any extra resources used) ```
You won't need to have voice enabled during the session, but it might help to be aware of what's going on, so joining a voice channel is encouraged, for community-building. There will possibly be streams going on which will also allow you to stay up-to-date with things as they develop. I may be making important announcements over voice, Discord chat, and maybe Twitch chat (if I do end up streaming).
As always, fun is mandatory. See you there, students!