[Debut Release] MMDCXIV - Journey into 27 Century

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

[Debut Release] MMDCXIV - Journey into 27 Century

Post by Zanieon »

Welcome to 2614 where technology has reached an extreme high tier of science! This map pack will feature several maps set on a completely terraformed Mars where the player needs to discover the source of a hostile invasion that led the planet to be evacuated. The initial purpose of this map pack is reimagine the very first maps i have ever done for Doom with the skills i have nowdays. So if you are curious enough to know about those, you can check the Doom Reinforced Mapset to know the origin of the principal upcoming maps.

The very first map, UAC Colonization Cluster (previously called Main UAC Hangar) is now avaliable for download already as a debut release for this map pack, another release will be made when at least 3 more maps will be made, unfortunately, i cannot say when i will start working on these maps and neither when the next release will be made.

Specifications:
  1. Source Port: GZDoom 3.7+
  2. IWAD: Doom 2
  3. Jumping: Allowed
  4. Crouching: Allowed
  5. Freelook: Allowed
  6. Mod Compatible: Any that spawn monsters correctly if they randomizes some and any that doesn't break key pickups by unabling them to trigger scripts.
Spoiler: Screenshots
Titlemap showcase for the curious:

Warnings:
This map features a lot of ambient sounds throught its entire decorations to give a more depth in immersion, GZDoom by default has only 256 sound channels avaliable to play sounds in the game, but the number of ambient sounds features in the map surpass this value (the map has around 850 sound emmiters), it is recommended to set up the sound channel limit to 1024 at least for better experience, you can do that by typing snd_channels 1024 and then snd_reset in the console before playing the map. If the framerate is affected drastically by this change somehow, then you might also have to set snd_hrtf to 0 and another snd_reset.

Last edited by Zanieon on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:18 am, edited 14 times in total.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [WIP](D4D Map) Main UAC Hangar

Post by Major Cooke »

I approve of this.
Aethun

Post by Aethun »

Whooooaauuuuuuu!!!!

I love this concept, the size isnt matter, more monsters :twisted: and ammo please xD

In D4D you can grab the corners? :shock:

More jumps and grab the corners, please XD
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Is this map for D4D only or can it also be played with vanilla/other mods? Any maps from Zanieon get a VIP place on the "Must Play" list.

EDIT: I should learn to read. It says it in the OP, but I was too mesmerised by the video. Oh who am I fooling, I just didn't see the text. Well, if you make it vanilla compatible, we can haz slaughterparty?
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Aethun wrote:In D4D you can grab the corners? :shock:
Not only that, there are other new stuff coming which i disabled to not be spoiled on this video, just have patience until all that arrives.
Lud wrote:Any maps from Zanieon get a VIP place on the "Must Play" list.

EDIT: I should learn to read. It says it in the OP, but I was too mesmerised by the video. Oh who am I fooling, I just didn't see the text. Well, if you make it vanilla compatible, we can haz slaughterparty?
Heh, if you played the Doom Reinforced Mapset and remember the first map, this one is a remake of that, the yellow keycard have a trap which is kinda a slaughterfest moment, but i will not spam pinkies this time, also the part where you restore the reactors to normal state after the yellow keycard it have another slaughterfest trap, both of those will be here as well.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

We really need more of these Industron-themed maps. :D I loved Vinur-Prime, I loved Doom Reinforced, and I'm gonna love this. :D
Zanieon

Re: [WIP] Main UAC Hangar

Post by Zanieon »

Atm i'm working in release Version 2.9 of Hunter's Moon, but surely after the release of that i will resume the work on this and see if i can make a extense map as UACVPRB.

For now i'm removing the Tag [D4D] because what i had in mind was release this map months ago as promotion of D4D however this was halted and D4D pretty much works with most maps that uses no DECORATE/Zscript so i guess i will release this one directly with the second purpose, the universal compatibility with mods as the previous map i released did.
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

Errm, I just had my mind blown.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

ALRIGHT, YEAH! :D
Zanieon

Re: [WIP] Main UAC Hangar (Demo 1 Released!)

Post by Zanieon »

Demo Released! I think the wait time was too much for something that is almost 2 years in development.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

MY god, yes sir!! Definitely gonna give this a run right away! :D
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Review of Main UAC Hangar so far:

First I will say I was very sad to have made it to the parking lot, only for the demo to end. With that being said..

The visuals are astounding and remarkable. It is something I would expect from a Zanieon map and it ran pretty well in QZDoom.

Having the monsters spaced out in encounters was very intelligent, along with the weapon/monster progression. Nothing seemed too tough or too easy, though there was a point where I was choked by a chaingunner and it had me on edge for a bit. I like those moments.

It was a little confusing to figure out where the first key was, though once I found it - the level became even more fun and sailed smoothly.

There are a lot of scenery and mechanisms on the map. So much gorgeous detail though I would expect the level to be more alive and less static. I can only imagine what that would do for the frame rate, however.

Overall this played like a champ for me. It took me back to the first time I played Sapphire and that still is a fun experience. Also, mixing the Doom 2 textures in with the new ones was superb! I like to see that kind of universal inclusion of texturing. Nothing felt odd or out of place.

Let us know when you've compiled a final release!!
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

RUNSABER wrote:First I will say I was very sad to have made it to the parking lot, only for the demo to end. With that being said..
A well made Cliffhanger is what makes people wanting more from it heh, so the parking lot which is one of the most iconic parts of the map is not shown in this demo.
The visuals are astounding and remarkable. It is something I would expect from a Zanieon map and it ran pretty well in QZDoom.
Thanks!
Having the monsters spaced out in encounters was very intelligent, along with the weapon/monster progression. Nothing seemed too tough or too easy, though there was a point where I was choked by a chaingunner and it had me on edge for a bit. I like those moments.
This is the first half of the map mostly, so Hell Knights and Revenants are the hardest tiers you will find around, this still doesn't mean the gameplay will be easy as you confirmed.
It was a little confusing to figure out where the first key was, though once I found it - the level became even more fun and sailed smoothly.
The Red Key was added after a little subtle change of progression flow in the map, the room with the Tron hologram that looks like a bar was added and i didn't think in a good reason to make it part of the progression when i finished, so i added the Red Key there and made it the first key to be picked up instead of the Blue like in the original map.
There are a lot of scenery and mechanisms on the map. So much gorgeous detail though I would expect the level to be more alive and less static. I can only imagine what that would do for the frame rate, however.
In the final release there will be ambient sounds at least, if that is what you mean with "more alive".
Overall this played like a champ for me. It took me back to the first time I played Sapphire and that still is a fun experience. Also, mixing the Doom 2 textures in with the new ones was superb! I like to see that kind of universal inclusion of texturing. Nothing felt odd or out of place.
Honestly there are textures in Doom 2 that i consider the holy grail of information to the player and those textures i never replace or change, mostly the Key color for doors frames and switches.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

I thoroughly enjoyed this map. If you want to see my FDA and review check the Youtube video below. My one qualm with the map was I'd receive messages like "parking lot now unlocked" and I think "where the fuck is that?". Once I realized it was always one of the GIANT doors (the first of which I missed and ran around like a headless chook for a couple minutes trying to find). I'm super amped to play the full release.

Zanieon

Re: [WIP] Main UAC Hangar (Demo 2 Released!)

Post by Zanieon »

Demo 2 on the way! Hope navigation don't get messed up this time.

Return to “Levels”