Volatile

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT Q&A or troubleshooting forums! They are for active projects only! Please use the Editing or General or its subforums for such questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Volatile

Postby Nightfall » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:07 pm

yes this is the current project logo

Volatile is a 15-20 map pack for ZDoom that will totally get finished someday maybe yeah.

Maps will have very non-linear layouts and focuses on adventure rather than spamming thousands of revenants at you, though it will also fall sideways to dropkick beneath your belt when you least expect it to.

There'll be quite heavy use of ZDoom features, including custom monsters and probably weapons (when I get around to doing that) though I'm hoping to put in some compatibility mechanism so that you can still play it with mods.

The project has basically existed for eternities (since 2011) under an infinite number of names but let's hope I get it finished now shall we?

Spoiler: Map lineup

Spoiler: Screenshots
Last edited by Nightfall on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:38 am, edited 7 times in total.
Nightfall

Re: [WIP] Volatile

Postby Marnetmar » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:14 pm

I am monitoring this thread.
Marnetmar
Grasshopper!

Postby Abba Zabba » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:53 pm

If there's anything I'm a sucker for it's cool, expansive alien skies. And large open areas. AND not to mention the great level design I'm seeing already in the screenshots.
Abba Zabba

Postby Blue Shadow » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:58 pm

Screenshots are great-looking, and by the sounds of it, it might be something I might actually play.

Looking forward to it.
Blue Shadow

Postby HorrorMovieGuy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:09 pm

Damn man, those are some really nice screenshots there. Can't wait to play this.
HorrorMovieGuy
I'm a survivor, we're a dying breed

Postby Nightfall » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:23 pm

Thanks guys!

Abba Zabba wrote:If there's anything I'm a sucker for it's cool, expansive alien skies. And large open areas. AND not to mention the great level design I'm seeing already in the screenshots.

It's supposed to be Earth but I accidentally turned the moon blue. And now it remains blue because I kinda like it that way. Large open areas are go though.
Nightfall

Postby AD_79 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:38 pm

Needs more purple! Come on now, don't be shy!

Regardless of that, looks quite nice. I am seeing a few wall textures where flats should be (examples: the gray rocks in shots 1 and 4); personally I think it would look a lot better if corresponding flats were used. Interested to see how this plays, though. You say it'll focus on "adventure", and I hope you'll still be able to make it enjoyable and not have the maps just drag along. Some sets go for the "adventure" feel and the gameplay really suffers as a result...

Anyways, looking forward to getting my grubby little hands on this!
AD_79

Postby Nightfall » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:15 pm

The "adventure" part mostly comes from that I'm trying to put some kind of inbuilt ""story"" to it, mostly some sort of progression and text screens (maybe episodes, not sure on that yet) and from the non-linear layouts... I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I know the purple's a bit lacking for now but I'll be putting more of that in.
Nightfall

Postby Nevander » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:22 pm

This looks... uh... like amazing. Really loss for words, serious. Screenshots are great. Maps look really fun to play. You maybe totally need to finish it! :wink:
Nevander
The Doomslayer

Postby Gideon020 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:56 pm

I'm really liking the skyboxes you're using. Level design looks like it'll be interesting to play through as well.
Gideon020

Postby doony » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:04 pm

the level design is amazing, nice screenshots, I will love to taste this new textures, they fit perfectly the ambient you got there
doony
playing dood

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:37 am

Earth but I accidentally turned the moon blue
I feel like this needs to be incorporated into the backstory somehow.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Nightfall » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:43 am

Vaecrius wrote:
Earth but I accidentally turned the moon blue
I feel like this needs to be incorporated into the backstory somehow.

Hmm probably so yes. Though I'm kinda torn between two possibilities:
  • The moonlight began to dim so the UAC sent a team of cleaners to wax it up. However they got the orders wrong and they painted it blue instead.
  • An accident happened in one of UAC's moon bases which caused the moon to be flooded with water, which is blue as we all know.

I kinda like the first one more.
Nightfall

Postby Nightfall » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:41 am

Posted a map lineup of sorts. It's pretty apparent that episode 2 is progressing pretty well (indeed by far most of the screenshots in this thread are from it) and episode 1 is in many little pieces. This is because I originally wanted to do just a deep space episode but that went to hell because I can't organize anything. So what I'm planning on doing is trying to piece together some kind of episode 1 (I actually have an idea for its later episodes now that I think of it), pick up some old maps for it and stuff.

Ah yes. Now I can also use the fireblu torches. Also now that I think of it, the space station is supposed to orbit Earth. Which means that I'll need a suitable new sky... maybe I'll just nick the one from Lunatic.

Oh yeah and I am planning one or two more episodes after this but let's focus on these two now shall we? I'll try get them both released at the same time so we can have lots of fun playtime from the beginning. Or something like that.

Hey nutsackhat what's up with this stupid random bump you just posted in your thread

Fine fine have some screenshots. Including a few from space now that we actually talked about that.
Spoiler:

EDIT: Oh hey look it's my 512th post. Yays.
Nightfall

Postby Endless123 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:34 am

Looks amazing :D

I hate to ask this question because i know inspiration can't be rushed but when do you think you'll be able to release a demo of some sort?

Anyways i can say from the screenshots that it would be an amazing wad to play so keep it up :)
Endless123

Next

Return to Levels