[WIP] Celestial Dreams - One by one map releases by Kevans

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[WIP] Celestial Dreams - One by one map releases by Kevans

Postby kevansevans » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:07 pm

Kevans's Map Workshop

Decided it'd be easier to release maps one by one, as I my ideas for maps never seem to stay consistent until I know what I'm making. I don't know what else to put here.

MAP ONE: Snowgem Mines

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7a59cw8k4w5xp ... M.zip?dl=0

Set on a distant planet, you awaken to find yourself in a very surreal mining facility, where the currency is the brightly colored "snowgem" ore.

Screenshots:

Spoiler:

Additional notes:

This map was designed around the "dual rocket launcher" weapon. This map can use other weapons, but I feel using other mods sort of ruins the experience and challenge to the map. It'd be appreciated if you use what I provide.

MAP TWO: IRON CATHEDRAL

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzhm9ityune4n ... H.pk3?dl=0

Even demons have to worship. This is also where they work to forge all that iron. Try not to bother the archvilles while on their shift. They've been working overtime for two centuries and will take out their aggression on anything that annoys them.

Screenshots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewjnxu9dokgie ... 7.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2rq9sj0izukv ... 0.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsdn50jt8i7r5 ... 1.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2wamxji4ywwb ... 5.png?dl=0

Additional notes: No custom weapons used!

I'm not very experienced in map making, so any advice to make it look less... bland, I guess, is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by kevansevans on Sun May 29, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.
kevansevans
Disciple of The Great God Imp
Spotlight Team

Github ID: kevansevans
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Celestial Dreams

Postby grouchbag » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:08 am

This shows some neat stuff.I'm not good at spotting bugs or anything, but I do know at I like.One of the things I liked most was where you put the spiders.That was really cool, without giving anything away.Haven't quite finished all of it yet, will do so in the next day or two.Good luck on this! :D
grouchbag

Postby kevansevans » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:07 pm

grouchbag wrote:This shows some neat stuff.I'm not good at spotting bugs or anything, but I do know at I like.One of the things I liked most was where you put the spiders.That was really cool, without giving anything away.Haven't quite finished all of it yet, will do so in the next day or two.Good luck on this! :D

Hey thanks, Really appreciate it.

Another screenshot of progress for the second section:

Spoiler:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/infe2ggecyb2j ... 7.png?dl=0
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Postby grouchbag » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:13 pm

Looks great1 :D
grouchbag

Postby Ctrl+Alt+Destroy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:30 pm

I've killed all monsters and have obtained the blue key, but it seems I can't exit. Am I missing something?
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Postby kevansevans » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Ctrl+Alt+Destroy wrote:I've killed all monsters and have obtained the blue key, but it seems I can't exit. Am I missing something?

Oh sorry, forgot to specify that's as far as i've done...
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Postby Ctrl+Alt+Destroy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:46 pm

I see. Also, there are numerous HOMs present. I would take screenshots, but there's quite a few of them. It seems that most—if not all of them—are in the multicolored cave area. Another thing... After receiving the blue key and retracing my steps to the exit, I opened the door with ease. But after realizing I couldn't exit, I left the room to search the rest of the map for anything I might have missed. Coming back to the exit empty-handed, I was unable to open the door a second time, even though I still had the blue key.
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Postby kevansevans » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:11 pm

I'll take a look, thanks!
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Postby kevansevans » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:48 pm

kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Postby doomguy34 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:27 pm

WOW then the hat there nothing to say to your wad is very nice with music in addition there is a music that makes me think of the movie scream
doomguy34

Postby Endless123 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:40 am

I'm i the only one not having any weapons even after picking up the SSG? I can't even use my fists. And yes i have the latest gzdoom dev build (gzdoom-g2,1,pre-1307-g4e1723e) and no i'm not using any mods. So any idea of what's the problem could be?

EDIT : After i took a look at the DECORATE file i found the line causing the problem.

Code: Select allExpand view
actor OURPlayer : DoomPlayer
{
   Player.StartItem ""  <<<< This line is causing the problem, removing it solve the problem
   DamageFactor "rocketJump", 0.0
}

Unfortunately the shotgun and the super shotgun can't be used. Kinda hard to complete the map with only the pistol and fists. The map being a shotgun-based map it makes the player really screwed. When i used "give all" to have all weapons i still can't use the shotgun and the SSG.

However since this map is still under development there is not much to worry about. If that problem persist in the final version of the map this would be a bigger issue though. I've been able to complete the map only after i played it (without cheating) with PMSX mod and the weapons i had access to was the galam (assault .50 pistol), the fists and the nailgun which is replacing the SSG in PMSX. I guess any mods replacing the shotgun and the SSG would work the map as well.

On a side note, i really like the map design :) Even if you are not experimented as you mentioned i'd say you show promises. Keep it up :D
Last edited by Endless123 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endless123

Postby kevansevans » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:00 am

I don't want you to have the default weapons. The only guns I want you to have are the ones I give you. Removing that line is removing the expirience I want you to have.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Postby Endless123 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:10 am

kevansevans wrote:I don't want you to have the default weapons. The only guns I want you to have are the ones I give you. Removing that line is removing the expirience I want you to have.

The problem is as i mentioned in the edited post above is i can't use the gun once i picked it up. After i took a look in your files i noticed that the weapons order is not mentioned anywhere so i suggest you at least put the weapon order in the OURPlayer def

Like this :

Code: Select allExpand view
actor OURPlayer : DoomPlayer
{
   Player.StartItem ""
   DamageFactor "rocketJump", 0.0
      Player.WeaponSlot 1, Fist
   Player.WeaponSlot 2, Pistol
   Player.WeaponSlot 3, Shotgun, SSG
   Player.WeaponSlot 4, Chaingun
   Player.WeaponSlot 5, RocketLauncher
   Player.WeaponSlot 6, PlasmaGun
   Player.WeaponSlot 7, BFG   
}

Just replace the weapon name with the one of your custom weapons i think it should work
Endless123

Postby kevansevans » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:17 am

I'll take a look at it today then. I never ran into this problem so I haven't seen the need to address it until I added more.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Postby kevansevans » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:39 pm

Spoiler:

Progress has been a bit slow and been nothing more than tweaking the two maps I made. But I am proud that I managed to get in a second weapon. Seeing how that plays out.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Next

Return to Levels