[RELEASE] Atmosfear - A Horror Themed GZDoom Level!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[RELEASE] Atmosfear - A Horror Themed GZDoom Level!

Postby Dragonfly » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:25 am

Hello all. I have a horror styled little project, titled "AtmosFear" (I know, the name's probably been used hundreds of times already? :P)

This single level project started out as a private one, with no intent for public release, however based on the positive response from my friends I feel it might be worth releasing after all.
As is the standard in horror style gaming, this project's sound & atmosphere play a huge part in the way the map is presented, so I urge you, the player, to try it in a dark room with headphones on at a loud volume if possible.

Screenshots

Download
To run this please use the latest version of GZDoom, with Doom2 as the IWAD.

Download Now! (10.4MB)

Credits
DOOM 64 - Sound effects
DARK DOOM - I'm sorry to say I don't know the original author, I am sorry to whoever you are. I borrowed and tweaked your flashlight without requesting permission (This was meant to be a private project) I hope you are okay with me utilising the flashlight, if you see this, let me know who you are so I can credit you correctly!
BLOOD - Textures
ROYALTY FREE SOUND WEBSITES - Other SFX
REALM 667 - everything else, thanks to the original authors.

Thanks for your time, and please, let me know what you think but try not to ruin any of the puzzles or surprises for other players. If you get stuck or have any spoiler comments, I'm happy to converse in PM's about it!

Dragonfly

Discord: Dragonfly#5094
Twitch ID: dragonflyos

Re: [RELEASE] Atmosfear - A Horror Themed GZDoom Level!

Postby Big C » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:06 am

Your screenshots are broken, it seems.

Also, the creator of Dark DooM is SidDoyle: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46174
Big C

Postby Jaxxoon R » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:14 am

The answer to the riddle to escape the first room eludes me.

In fact, I have no idea at all what I'm required to do to before I can even think of leaving the first room. But maybe that in itself is the puzzle...

Curious...
Jaxxoon R

Postby Dragonfly » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:23 am

Big C wrote:Your screenshots are broken, it seems.

Also, the creator of Dark DooM is SidDoyle: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46174

They are? Seems to be working fine on my end. I'll reupload at some point. :)
Thank you for letting me know, I will update the credits accordingly.

Jaxxoon R wrote:The answer to the riddle to escape the first room eludes me.

In fact, I have no idea at all what I'm required to do to before I can even think of leaving the first room. But maybe that in itself is the puzzle...

Curious...

Spoiler:
Dragonfly

Postby grouchbag » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:36 am

Is there any way to make it so it's not pitch black,please?I mean just light enough to barely see without the flash light?I have a good reason for asking,and cheating is out of the question for me.Thanks in advance!
grouchbag

Postby Jaxxoon R » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:09 pm

The aesthetics and atmosphere are very, very nice, the scale however is awful. Doomguy's like the size of a small child, as his head barely reaches the doorknobs. And I don't know if this counts as a spoiler, I don't think it does at all since it's rather obvious. But every single of of the later "puzzles" is
Spoiler:

You can also screw with the switch directly below you in the start room and it makes an audible click. Had you made your map in UDMF format, you could've averted this with the "switch height check" flag. The fights are also rather annoying as they always either pose little threat and go on for too long or are a clusterfuck of superfast things one after another with little suspense or tension.

To be honest though, there were a few part that were done well, including a part relating to an enemy perfectly suited to clambering into my hiding spot suddenly appearing, or another where the room's look changed and then something very interesting happened... but then it continued to happen over and over until it just became annoying.
Jaxxoon R

Postby BFG » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:31 pm

very gothic i'm excited about this!
BFG

Postby SenteyHunter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Awesome map!

PD: I hate the ending, you scared me! D:
SenteyHunter
Blast 'em

Postby Nemesis6 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:02 pm

SenteyHunter wrote:Awesome map!

PD: I hate the ending, you scared me! D:

Posting spoilers is bad, mkay...
Nemesis6

Postby SAmik37 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:14 pm

Map good in style Blood... I love it... But I'm used to Blood and I was not scared... But the end of the map... Dude, I got a heartbeat... I looked better on screen in order to read and here it is... You made me throw headphones...
SAmik37

Discord: SAmik37#9589
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby jdagenet » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:06 pm

Jaxxoon R pretty much summed it up to a 'T'

The level had really, really good atmosphere, but the placement of the original Doom monsters and how they were used pretty much destroyed it and made it to be an ordinary Doom map. Those spiders were also pretty OP in my opinion.

Spoiler:
jdagenet

Postby WARCHILD_89 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:32 am

will give it a try, looks promising, I also like the title (Atmos->greek: Smoke/Breath) in combination with "fear"
WARCHILD_89
DOOM NEMESIS / 3D MODELS / RESOURCE BACKUPS

Postby WARCHILD_89 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:34 am

Jaxxoon R wrote:The aesthetics and atmosphere are very, very nice, the scale however is awful. Doomguy's like the size of a small child, as his head barely reaches the doorknobs. And I don't know if this counts as a spoiler, I don't think it does at all since it's rather obvious. But every single of of the later "puzzles" is
Spoiler:

You can also screw with the switch directly below you in the start room and it makes an audible click. Had you made your map in UDMF format, you could've averted this with the "switch height check" flag. The fights are also rather annoying as they always either pose little threat and go on for too long or are a clusterfuck of superfast things one after another with little suspense or tension.

To be honest though, there were a few part that were done well, including a part relating to an enemy perfectly suited to clambering into my hiding spot suddenly appearing, or another where the room's look changed and then something very interesting happened... but then it continued to happen over and over until it just became annoying.

=> change player view height....
WARCHILD_89
DOOM NEMESIS / 3D MODELS / RESOURCE BACKUPS

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:38 am

Interesting to see some interest has been picked up all of a sudden. :)

I'd be willing to re-work the map with new tricks and traps to break the 'doom map' feel people seem to dislike. My issue is I'm not the most well-versed in horror games, perhaps would need to play a few more to get some ideas before I endeavor to improve this map.

Any ideas, tips, etc, I'm open to hear them!
Dragonfly

Postby jdagenet » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:36 pm

It'd probably be more of a hassle re-working the map honestly. Just make a completely new one: Atmosfear II :P
jdagenet

Next

Return to Levels