[ECWolf] Coffee Break Episode 1: Castle Hasselhoff

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[ECWolf] Coffee Break Episode 1: Castle Hasselhoff

Postby Woolie Wool » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Download (467 KB)
Requires an ECWolf dev build and registered Wolfenstein 3D v1.4.

If you have problems with the sdl.dll in ECWolf dev builds try this version: https://www.sendspace.com/file/4bojfp (Windows only)

Yes, that's a silly name. This is not a mod that takes itself all that seriously. And no relation to the "Coffee Break" Doom mod, I actually came up with this project idea long before i had even heard of that mod.

Coffee Break is an idea that I've been toying around with for at least a year and a half. Making the huge Operation Serpent and Eisenfaust Unleashed maps with their gigantic canvas sizes and tons of ECWolf features is creatively exhausting. For the effort that goes into a single Operation Serpent map you could probably make a whole episode of vanilla Wolfenstein maps. Since Operation Serpent is nearly finished and just waiting on music, I decided to try a smaller, more focused project. Coffee Break is a series of (relatively) short maps using mostly the original game's graphics and sounds, to feel like an extension of Wolfenstein 3D, with a focus on tight, fast-moving gameplay over fancy features or storytelling or, well anything, really. The "coffee break" part comes from the fact that these are short maps you can beat in under ten minutes.

That's not to say it doesn't have any special features, though. Coffee Break has eight weapons (three carried over from regular Wolfenstein) with different ammo types and roles, as well as a few new enemies. The idea is to have something a bit deeper than the regular Wolfenstein gameplay to give me more tools to construct exciting gameplay while still looking and feeling like Wolfenstein 3D.

Features:
* An episode of 10 maps, with more episodes to come if I feel like it
* Complete lack of any narrative or continuity
* 8 weapons with distinctive strengths and weaknesses
* A new enemy, the rifle-wielding Trooper, and as many other new enemies as I consider necessary
* Smaller maps that don't take an hour each to play
* Pain/death sounds for the player because an audio cue for getting hit is good
* The original game's colorful, surreal art style instead of the drabber, more realistic look of most of my other mods
* Solid colored ceilings and floors, IMF music, and 7042 Hz sound for that 1992 experience

Story:

Spoiler:

Weapons:
Spoiler:

Screenshots

Woolie Wool
Call Apogee Say "Snappity!"

Discord: Woolie Wool#9878
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [ECWolf] Coffee Break Episode 1: Castle Hasselhoff

Postby Ixnatifual » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:04 am

Time to Hassle the Hoff. Permanently.
Ixnatifual
Is that virtuous?!

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:23 pm

Played through the first few levels, really loving this so far! The new stuff is nice!
Sgt. Shivers

Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:38 am

Just found the secret level, I gotta say it was very creative and I enjoyed it, Wow!
Sgt. Shivers

Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Postby Woolie Wool » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Coffee Break also has a profile on ModDB with more screenshots, info, and videos.
Woolie Wool
Call Apogee Say "Snappity!"

Discord: Woolie Wool#9878
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Levels