The Sky Will Always Be - V1 Release 21 AUG 2015

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

The Sky Will Always Be - V1 Release 21 AUG 2015

Post by kevansevans »

For the uninitiated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D25Xn0C_OQ

I've kind of always been upset over the lack of support The Sky May Be has for source ports. There have been a few methods to getting The Sky May Be to work with other source ports, but none of them feel truly native, and has caused some sort of stability issues. For example, the single wad conversion (which can be found here http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/6 ... ith-zdoom/) runs perfectly as you'd expect, but Pain Elementals are replaced with barrels, and will crash the game if interacted with.

Obligatory Screenshots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/613eypari5pmw ... .11.50.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpn443f9kuxrf ... .12.29.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijdzhhmkqoc68 ... .12.47.png

[21 AUG 2015] Download here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9s49011yll9m ... 1.zip?dl=0

So this is the first full version I wanted to release for the conversion. My original goal was to make EVERYTHING a standalone entity, this meant all sounds, textures, sprites, etc., would have their own name and defined in their respective lumps. I got as far as making each monster and weapon separate, and even replacing the actors things in the map itself. Eventually I got sick of trying to figure out how to replace the sounds, so I let the name override do it's magic.

The map is not a 1:1 faithful recreation, a lot of it had to be changed and cleaned up in order to make it work. For example, the crate room behind the blue key door/elevator had a lot of custom textures that weren't lumps in the main wad, and I have no idea how to dig them out, so for now they're stock vanilla textures. A lot of Points and line defs had to be changed as well, as certain walls were mishaped and would not work right with the textures I cleaned up.

The one weapon I am not confident on managing to recreate is the mine launcher, the plasma rifle replacement that shoots a grenade of sorts, leaving behind three radiation mines that will fuck your day up. These are supposed to vanish after some time, but I never figured that out.

Monsters behave identically to the source I managed to do that, thank god. The Erasure is in there as well, just needs to be summoned via console.

Thanks for playing!
Last edited by kevansevans on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:58 am, edited 11 times in total.
Hetdegon

Re: The Sky Will Always Be - A Dehacked to Decorate conversi

Post by Hetdegon »

T....the gun is good.
This is an interesting effort, bringing such a piece of (horrible) history of Doom into modern times.
Also, I applaud your bravery, testing this stuff as one implements stuff must be nerve-wracking.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Hetdegon wrote:the gun is good.
damn it zardoz get out of here

:P
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

You, sir, are a god. A Great God Imp, that is.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Oh my, this is brilliant work you're doing here.

Edit: Did I just hear you sneeze?
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

I have so many questions, but I dont want any of them to be ever answered...
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Tapwave »

I dunno, but it looks to me that the Blessed cannon immortalizes enemies way too often.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

hfc2x wrote:I have so many questions, but I dont want any of them to be ever answered...
I have a question that I want answered though. Why is everyone making shit nowadays? Is it because you think you can't be equal to Sarge? Or do you just like to troll and upload your stupid shit?
Be creative like Wild Weasel with his "Accessories to Murder" for example.

/rant & cockride
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Saya-chan wrote:Edit: Did I just hear you sneeze?
Oops. That was my room mate. Forgot to turn off the mic in fraps.
terranova wrote:I dunno, but it looks to me that the Blessed cannon immortalizes enemies way too often.
Noticed that as well, I'll tone it down and update it soon.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

LostSkull wrote:
hfc2x wrote:I have so many questions, but I dont want any of them to be ever answered...
I have a question that I want answered though. Why is everyone making shit nowadays? Is it because you think you can't be equal to Sarge? Or do you just like to troll and upload your stupid shit?

/rant & cockride
He's not making shit, he's REMAKING shit. And this is shit as ART. It's like the Mona Lisa of shit-as-art.
ledillman

Post by ledillman »

Oh, yes, i definitely love this!! nice one :D

downloading...
oh-
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

twinkieman93 wrote:
LostSkull wrote:

/rant & cockride
He's not making shit, he's REMAKING shit. And this is shit as ART. It's like the Mona Lisa of shit-as-art.
I find it funny that he tells me I should be creative, then tells me how to be creative. Oh the irony.

Anyways, LS. I understand your frustration with seeing this on the forums, but this isn't in any way to show comparison to anyone. Sky May Be is one of those mods that's been a staple in Doom's History for about 17 years now, and no one has done anything what-so-ever to make it easy to play on modern source ports. It (the original) uses the most convoluted method of mod installation I've ever seen, and only works properly with vanilla doom. I've only managed to find one 'modernization' of SMB (link in OP), but that's unstable as is and doesn't play nice with itself. But the whole point of SMB wasn't to make a joke wad, and it wasn't to make a serious wad. It sits in between where the goal was to make something 'totally and utterly unlike anything which had gone before'. Call it shit, call it genius, either way you're right. It's still an amusing mod and really difficult one as well.

As for that creativity remark, I have come here with one big project of my own. This mod I'm doing here is just to sharpen my abilities with decorate a little, the big one I'm working on is a little too big for me to chew, and I've been going in and out with it. You can find it here: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... &hilit=scp

Feel free to add your feedback to that, I'll gladly listen 8-)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Probably the best explanation of what The Sky May Be really is, is best left to its creator, DOUG The Eagle of IT-HE productions.

Return to “Levels”