Demo is out, download it below.
Everybody has a story. Sometimes, these stories are part of a larger whole, a piece of history in the making. Sometimes, we even remember the people's names, and what they did. Perhaps these are the people who lived life to the fullest. Perhaps they will be the only ones who have maintained a purpose even after they are gone.
But regardless, everybody has a story, as simple as it may be. Inside each larger one there are countless smaller ones waiting to be told. Sometimes these stories have a bigger impact than anyone will know. But sometimes, just sometimes, regardless of what happens, a story will make no change.
Their story is not important. It is nothing at all.
Sometimes, our stories have no meaning.
And sometimes, our stories mean something to us, and us alone.
Sylvius Leonard left his home, with no story, and with no intention of making one.
So tell me again, how does his story go?
Okay, enough being weird and cryptic.
Welcome one and all to the most ridiculous thing I have ever done.
Inspired by the likes of TCotD:A and RTC-3057, S.U.P.E.R Natural is a free roam single hub, designed to be full of survival horror elements. Of course, shortly after attempting to make it, I realized that horror is completely impossible in doom, so I just focused on the survival part a bit more and attempted to rely on atmosphere and tension for the latter.
You are all going to hate me for this, but like most games of the same kind, you have no weapons. Your only way of survival is running and hiding, or maybe, if you're lucky, being a bit clever with your surrounding environments. The small number of enemies you face are (usually) randomly generated, and will attempt to kill you in just a few hits. Health is regenerating, as enemies are technically infinite too.
For the most important nitty-gritty detail, we have the hub. This is a single hub of a planned 20+ maps, all fully explorable in whatever order you feel. Some will be blocked unless certain events occur, and some will be denied if the path you take steers you away from it.
To define it further, S.U.P.E.R Natural has a story to it. While Winter's Fury revolved around being as much of an over-the-top action blockbuster as possible, this mod uses the story much differently, and hopefully more successfully. For those interested, this is set in the same universe as Winter's Fury, this part occurring a few months after the events of Doom 2.
What I should also mention is that since this mod is taking story to be a critical part of its gameplay, I have had to change a bunch from my original plan. To put it into perspective, the original was just as the Winter's Fury story was; This is happening so more explosions can occur, and weird stuff is happening so I can put in a void level. Over the development of S.U.P.E.R Natural I came up with some ideas I wanted to put into place, and you will see these new developments come together soon.
Anyway, like I halfheartedly indicated in the paragraphs of text at the start, I can't tell you any story from this mod. It's up to you to create your own story depending on what you do, where you go, and who you trust. What this means is that the mod has multiple endings, so three cheers for replay value. No, there is no ending which you could call 'THE BEST'. Each ending is not a recolour of the last. All endings are cannon. At best, some are just harder to achieve than others.
Also, one of your least favourite characters from Winter's Fury will be making a quite major guest appearance.
I've finally finished the demo, and the download link is below. Please take the time to read about several important things before you do, as it may save your life.
- This mod is big. File size big. Much like Winter's Fury, I've taken full advantage of some of the features GZDoom gives you and that has caused a radical increase of file size. The UDMF format maps are pretty large too, surprisingly. Regardless, the ZIP file itself is almost 100MB, so make sure to download it knowing it can knock a bit off your monthly limit. I should add that the ridiculous file size isn't because of ludicrous mp3 additions, but because of other crucial aspects of the mod. I apologize in advance.
- This mod is big. Map size big. Which means once again, your frame rate will hurt sometimes, regardless of how good your system is. If you could comfortably play Winter's Fury (30+ FPS most of the time) then you should be able to play this.
- This is a mod based on the aspects of Horror. If you don't like the genre, you should play it anyway, and tell me what you think. I'm always open to suggestions and improvement, even though I'm horribly lazy and probably won't change anything but texture misalignments. You never know though! To emphasize further, this is survival horror, with less focus on the horror, and more on atmosphere. You don't get any guns and have regenerating health, so that probably knocks off about 70% of you guys. : P
Now that those important notes are done, there's some actual things I should tell you about the mod.
- For the demo, you're placed in a classic horror situation, and you've gotta work your way through a linear path of nonlinear maps. The real game will be more open world, and that should become obvious at the end of the demo. So take your time and explore, IF YOU DARE.
- The demo includes the entire 'Introduction' of the mod. Regularly, you'd be able to keep playing from the end of the intro, but that's where the demo will end.
- There is a ton of content to find. There is even a secret map, technically.
And I can't think of anything else. It's pretty self explanatory.
Alright, don't forget to tell me what you think of the mod after you've played. Or before you've played. Good luck.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzxprhsa8579j ... o.zip?dl=0