[Release 1.3] Unloved (GZdoom mapset)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BlueEagle

[Release 1.3] Unloved (GZdoom mapset)

Post by BlueEagle »

Unloved mapset for GZdoom

Release 1.3 (no beta!)

This is my first major project for GZdoom. It's a non-linear mapset with 5 quite large maps. The difficulty is quite high, so watch your health&ammo carefully! This set is a bit different from most Doom maps, because I've tried to capture a somehow Silent-Hill kinda type of atmosphere with the gameplay of Doom and I hope you enjoy it :)

download from idgames archive (~40mb)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16060

I know that I'm just a bloody newbie in the mapper community, but maybe you can give my maps a try. They don't have hyper-details, but I've tried my best to make them play and look good. Please give crits&comments as much as you like! I will upload to idgames as soon as there are no changes required anymore.

Have fun :)

Here are some screenshots:

Last edited by BlueEagle on Fri May 07, 2010 2:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Unloved - mapset for GZdoom (beta released!)

Post by NeuralStunner »

esselfortium wrote:pretty awesome
Much like your mapping. :)

But yes, the lighting overall has a genuine spooky flavor. (Instead of cheap pitch black BOO LOOK MONSTERS AARGH! shock tactics.)

So I started this up, and I'm already impressed by the architecture. (And an unusual sort of starting area too.) The ambiance has me expecting hell any moment (literally). More later!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yes, first impressions very nice. I haven't played much but it seems to have lots of atmosphere and some nice little twists of logic. I love the...
Spoiler:
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

:shock: Dynamic lights add so much to this.

Ammo and health is plentiful enough. (Seems you only really run low if you freak out and do something dumb.) I've left quite a bit of backup health behind me... I actually have used the pistol very little. I suckerpunched the first round of baddies through the bars. (Thanks to their sorry aim and "I wanna hug" tactics, it was quite simple.) In fact, I've so far only needed it to get me a chainsaw. Even on UV it's not overly hard to survive a lot of skirmishes with just that. (Up until you meet the first imps, but by then you should have a shotgun!)

No crouching though? Hmm. I haven't found anywhere yet it would ruin a puzzle, but it hurts my stealth tactics not having it. :cry:
Spoiler:
Bug hunt:
Console says: Tried to register class "Acolyte" more than once.
I'm getting a few "unknown texture" errors in Map01.
In Map02, for some reason I'm seeing the default DooM candles instead of the ones in your screenshot.
Everything else works okay so far. (The tech doors do seem a little out of place in Map02 though.)

For beta, this is quite well done.
BlueEagle

Post by BlueEagle »

Nice find, Enjay :)
Let's see if you find more of those twists ^^

@NeuralStunner:
Good points. Started fixing it!

"Console says: Tried to register class "Acolyte" more than once."
This is my first time using decorates and I have no clue why this is :/

"I'm getting a few "unknown texture" errors in Map01."
Fixed!

"In Map02, for some reason I'm seeing the default DooM candles instead of the ones in your screenshot."
That's because I was using beautiful doom when I made the shots. Should have mentioned it, sorry :)

"(The tech doors do seem a little out of place in Map02 though.)"
Fixed.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

BlueEagle wrote:"Console says: Tried to register class "Acolyte" more than once."
This is my first time using decorates and I have no clue why this is :/
(G)Zdoom already has a built-in actor called Acolyte (its one of the enemies in Strife). Presumably you have also added an actor called Acolyte [edit] Yes, it's the one like the Hexen Bishop [/edit]. Change the name of your actor in its decorate and the conflict message will go.
BlueEagle

Post by BlueEagle »

I see... that would have never crossed my mind ;) Thanks!

"Console says: Tried to register class "Acolyte" more than once."
Fixed.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Map01: The sector that houses your city skyline is visible on the AutoMap. Might want to put the "never show" flag on all those lines. (The music in this map has a rather sad note.)

Map04: I finally found a place where crouching could be exploited. (A brick wall at the end of a hallway, missing a few in the middle. -1844, 632 or thereabouts.) I didn't want to take that route though, obviously.

Could you maybe close up places like this just a little more, and let players crouch by default? Pretty please? :3:
Spoiler:
Definitely finish. I've got all the Keycards and now I want to see the rest!
.ex.inferis.

Post by .ex.inferis. »

I expect to be awed by this. :D

Downloading, will post feedback later tonight.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Gave this a quick spin... I like it. You've nailed the Silent Hill vibe pretty much. Actually this mapset reminds me of The Room - getting stuck in an apartment and all - except with way more action. XD

Will play more later...
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

...so I got past the bathroom.

...I'm too scared to go further. :shock:
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

This is a great wad, especially the ambience music. It all sounds and fits well, except one. Though the starcraft soundtrack is awesome, for some reason the song feels a bit more uppity compared to the other level's ambience music. If you could find any decent dark ambience that has that organic gluttony/inside a body feel, that'd suit it leagues better personally.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

I just started to play it.

Just one thing: the scale in the apartment looks wrong. The chair, bed, everything looks too big. use chasecam and you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately, to fix that, you'd have to either redo the place, or (kind of easier) change the scale (and view height, very important) of the player. Then again, that would mean that monsters would look small... I guess you get my point.

Anyway, is looking really nice.
BlueEagle

Post by BlueEagle »

Thanks for the feedback NeuralStunner! Almost everything you suggested has been fixed (except for crouching, I don't know if I want to enable it because it feels more frightening if you can't hide everywhere). The fifth map "Kinderzimmer" has been renamed to "Lost Childhood".

I've completed a whole bunch of new areas, which means that now 5 of 6 keys are available. I got carried away a little with one map and it has become really big (11x11 squares at 1024).

@chronoteeth: I'll see if I can find a better music for the level.

@DBThanatos: Hehe, yeah the doom guy is kind of a midget. But I won't change the scale at this point. If you want the player to be bigger, I could change view height. Beautiful Doom does that too and I must say it fits very well and the enemies don't seem too small. I'll look into this.

Here are some more screenshots!

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev20.JPG
Is this the final door?

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev21.JPG
A new area of the house has opened - the attic.

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev22.JPG
Caged.

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev23.JPG
The garden.

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev24.JPG
Where did he go?

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev25.JPG
What a lovely doctor's practice.
Last edited by BlueEagle on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Levels”