"I Can't Find This WAD" thread

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

"I Can't Find This WAD" thread

Postby wildweasel » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:09 pm

Looking for that one level with that awesome set piece, but can't remember its name?

Need to know which megawad has those really weird 3D rendered imp sprites?

Just can't figure out what the real name is for a random file name you have in your collection?

This is your thread. Ask here and hopefully your mystery will be solved!

(NOTE: This thread is not for reporting dead links, use this thread instead: viewtopic.php?t=28589 )
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Re: "I Can't Find This WAD" thread

Postby Enjay » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:30 am

OK, I'll start. :D

I've been looking for a WAD for some time. I'm pretty sure that it's quite an old one.

From what I recall, it's set on a space station. There is one section where you can go up on a lift followed by a choice of two more lifts. Both lifts will take you to a sort of control room.

There is also a section which takes you down into a much dingier area. From memory, this can be accessed via two lifts - one at either side of this area. The lower section has weird combination doors made from door and lift sectors very close to each other and the section has walkways, some of which have a liquid of some sort at the sides... I think. Pretty sure the railings at the side of the walkways are made of custom textures as are girder-like structures on 2S lines that are meant to look like roof supports in the dingy section.

In that section, the goal is to flick a couple of switches to gain access to a small room (maybe containing a key).
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby osjclatchford » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:14 am

sounds a bit like hedrox to me...
osjclatchford

Postby Enjay » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:32 am

Nope, I know Hedrox and it's not that. It's much older and much less detail. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Enjay

Postby wildweasel » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:43 pm

The split doors make me wonder if it was something intended to be Doom 64-styled, like DSV4.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Ravick » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:21 am

I've accessed here today willing to make a thread just like this one! :lol:

___

What I'm looking for: I remember playing a mod in witch I had to collect coins (kinda similar to Vulkan or Golden Souls) and monsters randomly exhibit very funny death animations, such as an imp variant witch neck gets long before head pops out and a fat zombie from Blood that get its belly inflated and them explodes in a gory way. I can't remember its name. Can someone help me out with this one?
Ravick
Do what thou wilt, since you don't bug the hell out of me!

Postby Gez » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:05 am

Here's something I only saw in a youtube video years ago. The most striking part I remember was that there was an Arecibo-like radiotelescope area; i.e. a large flat dish on the ground with midtex scaffolding over it to reach a central "receiver" platform. I think there was a red key on it?
Gez

Postby Enjay » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:23 am

wildweasel wrote:The split doors make me wonder if it was something intended to be Doom 64-styled, like DSV4.

Not that either I'm afraid (though thanks for the reminder about DSV4).

The WAD I am thinking of is much older - no ACS, nothin' fancy at all really. It quite possibly even pre-dates source ports or maybe came out around about the time of the early ports (i.e. I think it is a mid to late 90s map).

To be clear on the doors, they were not the split in the middle D64 type. They were more like this demo that I just threw together:
Door.zip

Though, obviously not scripted or in UDMF.

Trying to remember a bit more about the map logic...

I think you started in or near a big hangar with a large window open to space. On the other side of the map there was a similar area. These two areas also had small-ish crate stores to their rear. IIRC, the far hangar was optional but if you went there you picked up a red(?) key that gave you access to a weapon/ammo stash elsewhere in the map.

I mentioned that you had to get on two lifts to go up to a control room area. I think that purpose of doing this was to get a key (yellow?) that gave you access to the lower area.

In the lower area, the maze with railings and fancy doors led you to a couple of switches. These opened where another key (blue?) was hidden.

This gave you access to a central area up on the entry level of the map. I think maybe that then led to an end-fight of some sort and that was it, map over.

Maybe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjay

Return to General