Brutal Hexen/Heretic Legend/WOM GZDoom compatibility?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Brutal Hexen/Heretic Legend/WOM GZDoom compatibility?

Postby Cornelius Pankintit » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:15 am

I am a fan of old fps games and Heretic and Hexen are an interesting offshoot of it. I’ve been modding the hell out of some games Doom, Blood, and the two above, but I’ve run into a problem. Whenever I try to play Brutal Hexen (Wrath of Magic has not been released yet), while using Legend, I’ve run into a couple of problems. The game lags plenty but it’s playable and I enjoyed myself with the new levels. However, when I tried to play Brutal Heretic and Legend in the Doomsday Engine like how the author intended, the game never loaded. I have a feeling this is due to Brutal Hexen being incompatible with Doomsday, but this has left me very disappointed. I noticed distinct glitches that are not present in the Doomsday engine and I’m unable to play as the other “DLC” characters the author has made. Effectively, I’m stuck playing a bugged version of a cool mod and while that might not seem bad to some people, I got stuck for an hour in this one section because I thought these flames, which turned on when I got near them, were part of a puzzle when in reality it was decoration. What I’m asking or looking for is some kind of compatibility patch for Legend 8.3.3 (8.4.3 is coming out later this year so be on the look out for that) and Brutal Hexen. Same thing goes for the rest of the mods this one author has made because they look excellent and I want to play as them even if they break the world a bit. Hopefully someone can find/make a patch for these mods because everyone who has GZDoom should play these mods as they add more to Hexen and, eventually, Heretic and Deathkings. I hope to hear from the community in what they will do and I’ll wait patiently.
Cornelius Pankintit

Re: Brutal Hexen/Heretic Legend/WOM GZDoom compatibility?

Postby wildweasel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:12 am

Well, I can absolutely tell you that the Brutal mods are for Gzdoom only. Doomsday doesn't support any of the advanced scripting languages that Gzdoom offers, so the mods will, at best, do nothing, and at worst, produce audio visual glitches involving the altered assets.

I don't know what Legend is. Do you have a link?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Velma Fodgedit » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:17 am

https://www.moddb.com/mods/legend-farewell-edition

This one, it’s actually admirably huge compared to Hexen and I give all the credit to this guy for staying dedicated for so long. Could you or some mod wizards configure with this stuff and send me the instructions? I know you guys do amazing stuff as well. Who knows? Maybe the author can let you develop community patches for GZDoom?
Velma Fodgedit

Postby wildweasel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:21 am

Oh. Oh dear. Seems Legend exclusively uses the scripting features in Doomsday, which Gzdoom doesn't know how to use. Somebody's going to have a lot of work cut out for them to port it, if they do.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Velma Fodgedit » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:40 am

Man...I really wanted to get this to work. I like Heretic and Hexen fine, but they don’t feel different enough in terms of gameplay to Doom. I like the weapons and levels, but Brutal h/hx are the ones that keep me around. I know it’ll be an ass kicker to get this working, but I’d like to see it happen someday. If I were tech savvy and had a team with some free time, I would love to see it come through. I even messaged the author to see if he could allow a community patch and I’m still waiting for him to respond.
Velma Fodgedit

Postby Velma Fodgedit » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:41 pm

Well, at least I found Wrath of Cronos. I’m sure it doesn’t work with Doomsday, but if it’s possible, perhaps...also, Wrath of Cronos is somewhere in these forums.
Velma Fodgedit

Return to General