Free dog

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Nash

Free dog

Post by Nash »

ImageImage
ImageImage

Since I'd rather not clutter the other thread... I'm making a new thread to take criticisms and suggestions for a GPL-friendly dog sprite replacement for gzdoom.pk3. I'm not 100% happy yet with the base shape so there's a big possibility that I will remodel the doggo, and once I am fully happy with it, I will make a PR.
Last edited by Nash on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GPL dog

Post by leileilol »

How would it look with a bit of tab A O alt-s move-mouse-down-a-bit enter?

Maybe a backport to all MBF derivatives for a Freeifying maintenance release could be pushed when this is done
Nash

Post by Nash »

leileilol wrote:How would it look with a bit of tab A O alt-s move-mouse-down-a-bit enter?

Maybe a backport to all MBF derivatives for a Freeifying maintenance release could be pushed when this is done
Alt S made the thing look more like a weird bear-dog thing... probably a fault of the bad modeling. =P And because of that, I decided to File -> New and remodel it from scratch, this time using a german shepherd reference and hopefully better geometry. Still a little blocky, not done with the vertex pushing yet but I probably won't add any more verts to this... just pushing and pulling from here.

And of course, I don't mind other ports taking the finished set, that's what this is made for.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I am thinking - once this gets done - maybe we should just replace the Wolfenstein doggy completely. I.e. remove the Wolf doggy out of the zd_extra.pk3 so that it just uses this one here. :)

I'm going to see about creating some sounds later on today - but I can't at the moment because I live in a house with others and they are still sleeping...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I already said, I'm all in favor of getting rid of the Wolfenstein dog. Unlike the other resources which were designed to work in conjunction with the game they originate from, this is from something entirely different and in terms of copyright far more questionable.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well I tried to record my puppies barking but there is way too much echo - not even remotely usable as game sounds.

The ones that are barking are all tiny terrors - but I can make them sound MUCH bigger just by decreasing the speed of the sound by half and they sound like much bigger and much more threatening doggies. But that's where the echo really becomes a problem.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

What's the status of the dog? It'd be nice to have it in the upcoming release.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This is awesome Nash, you are one of the most multi-talented persons out there :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

I will be finishing it today. This post will be edited shortly!

@Tormentor667: thank you for your kind words <3

EDIT: doggerino is ready for his photoshoot!

Nash

Post by Nash »

Update: I am done with the sprite, but before I release it to the wild:

I intend to release it as CC-BY so that other projects can use it too... the question is, is that compatible with GZDoom?

Some licensing advice would be appreciated. Once that stuff is cleared, I will make the pull request!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

According to this, it is. I was not able to find the "proof" but near the bottom of the page it links to, it does explicitly mention that license.

Either way, CC-BY is pretty permissive, anyhow, GPL is a lot more restrictive than it is if I remember correctly. CC-BY just requires attribution.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Return to “General”