Looking for a Monster Pack

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Looking for a Monster Pack

Postby Hellser » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:39 am

Hey guys. I normally avoid this at all costs, but my loyal friend has been rather short with answers. Are there any good monster packs? I'm not referring to Realm667 packs either. I'm talking about a good pack which can be used with any weapon or enhancement mod out there. My primary method of playing Doom for the past half year is using Weapons of Saturn (modified slightly, but still WoS). But playing against the same vanilla monsters without any challenge has been boring.

Oh, one thing. These monsters can't be silly-like. I've tried Colorful Hell - great concept. Until I ran into what my friend called Benelus on Map02 for Doom II (much to his laughter and going 'rip rip rip rip rip'). Any ideas or is someone working on such a thing?
Hellser
Misdreavus used Psybeam!

Discord: Hellser#8156

Re: Looking for a Monster Pack

Postby Kappes Buur » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:19 pm

Sometimes I use the monster models from Enjay's Gene_Tech.
Kappes Buur

Postby wildweasel » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:43 pm

I sort of wonder about this; there appears to be a legitimate "market" for monsters-only mods. I do have some designs lying around that are intended for full-on gameplay mods, but maybe they'd be better off as one mod that only changes the monsters?
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Hellser » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:55 pm

Possibly. With the mass production of weapon packs, there's not so many monster packs out there that can be teamed up with them. Usually however, people make monsters to go with their weapons. Rather hard to rip them out.
Hellser
Misdreavus used Psybeam!

Postby wildweasel » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:07 pm

Well, I figure that mods like Russian Overkill that contain no monsters of their own would probably benefit from a new external pack of monsters...with any luck, said packs would become popular enough that weapon mod authors don't necessarily feel obligated to replace all the monsters themselves.

(But knowing my luck, said monster packs would become UNpopular because they break compatibility with the Doom community's most polarizing mod.)
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Genisys » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:39 am

Have you tried the mod listed below. It works fine with FASPONS, that is similar to WOS;

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=48949
Genisys

Postby ÑóẊîöʼn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:07 am

wildweasel wrote:Well, I figure that mods like Russian Overkill that contain no monsters of their own would probably benefit from a new external pack of monsters...with any luck, said packs would become popular enough that weapon mod authors don't necessarily feel obligated to replace all the monsters themselves.

(But knowing my luck, said monster packs would become UNpopular because they break compatibility with the Doom community's most polarizing mod.)

I was just thinking about starting a thread asking if there are any decent monster mods that would go well with Russian Overkill. I'm getting a bit bored with the vanilla monsters.
ÑóẊîöʼn

Postby Ghastly » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:01 am

For a shameless plug, I wouldn't really consider Hard-Doom a Realm667 pack. We did a LOT of tweaking to each individual monster for balance, and several (sonic railgun zombie, for example) were in Hard-Doom before they were on R667.
Ghastly
Rather ghastly

Postby Hellser » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:09 am

Genisys wrote:Have you tried the mod listed below. It works fine with FASPONS, that is similar to WOS;

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=48949

Okay, now THAT is a well done monster mod. Adds a nice amount of challenge as well. Love it.
Hellser
Misdreavus used Psybeam!

Postby Nems » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:43 am

wildweasel wrote:I sort of wonder about this; there appears to be a legitimate "market" for monsters-only mods.

Honestly this is something I've been wanting to see for a long time. I've tried my own hand at it but coding is hard. D:

Like, my ideal monster-only mod would be a mash-up of the monsters (minus overlap because I'm almost certain some custom monsters appear more than once in these mods in some way, shape, or form) from DoomRLA, Scalliano's 667 Shuffle, Quakestyle ZX, Hard Doom, Project MSX, other iD games (Heretic, Hexen, and Strife come to mind), ZDoom monster resource pack, and whatever's left in the R667 bestiary that isn't in one of the mods listed. Bonus points if said mod was made compatible with DoomRLA.

I guess it would be something like a playable archive of every custom monster ever created that would be updated with new stuff. :v

I'll keep dreaming that it'll happen one day I suppose. d:
Nems
Wait what

Postby iSpook » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:06 pm

A total plug, and probably not a Fair and/or balanced "monster only" mod, but I did manage to pull Suab's monsters out of the mod and make it a stand-alone mod (for reasons, of course.) Of course, I have a version of that that's stripped of NIY stuff and Obituaries added back in, if anyone cares. :P
iSpook
What is this, I don't even.

Postby Crudux Cruo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:48 am

Have you tried Colorful hell? It's like a hot sauce to me, i just use it with everything

edit:

whoops didn't read all the way :(

its a shame you didn't like it, it really is the only one besides "Hard Doom" thats noteworthy
Crudux Cruo
"It's howdy doody time kiddies, the bad man is here."

Postby DoomN00b » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:38 am

It's an old thread, and it might get scrapped now, BUT...!

The question is STILL relevant, even 2-3 years later. What are the various monster packs? Which mods should one say they fit the best with?

And... for my question... Is there a CYBERNETIC monster pack only? = ) I want to play Diabolus Ex, with LITHIUM, to really get that cyberpunk feel, but in order to do that, I also need cybernetic monsters, otherwise the experience will be INCOMPLETE!

So, help me out fellow doom-fans, where can I find a cybernetic monster pack?
DoomN00b

Postby Skelegant » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:28 am

DoomN00b wrote:It's an old thread, and it might get scrapped now, BUT...!

The question is STILL relevant, even 2-3 years later. What are the various monster packs? Which mods should one say they fit the best with?

And... for my question... Is there a CYBERNETIC monster pack only? = ) I want to play Diabolus Ex, with LITHIUM, to really get that cyberpunk feel, but in order to do that, I also need cybernetic monsters, otherwise the experience will be INCOMPLETE!

So, help me out fellow doom-fans, where can I find a cybernetic monster pack?

DoomRLA's monster pack has a cybernetic enemy mode: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37044
I'd be interested to see any other cyborg doom monster packs as I'm making a cyborg doomguy mod :D
Skelegant

Postby Hellser » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:51 pm

If the question is still relevant, I see no problems with this thread being bumped like it has.
Hellser
Misdreavus used Psybeam!

Next

Return to General