Page 1 of 2

Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:35 pm
by Cage
Image
Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/VNsZY
Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzSuPz_LVIhEVlhjQXVjYTlHWkU/view?usp=sharing

A little something I whipped up on impulse :) Since Doom64 reloads are my most famous work, I thought I might do more of "filling in the gaps", this time on the texture front. The main idea was to take the texture designs from PC Doom (Preferably the most recognisable ones like STARTAN etc.) and recreate them in Doom64 in such a way they're as much of a seamless fit with stock Doom64 as I can make them.

Doom64 has a lot less modding interest, so I've decided to post the stuff I have so far before I spend a lot of time on it and it turns out no one has use for them. ;) I'd love to expand the set if there's enough interest.

Use in any way desired (including in your own edits) as long as you provide credit.
Cheers and have fun!

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:39 pm
by Da Spadger
Neato de fuckin' burrito.

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:12 pm
by esselfortium
These are awesome. It's rare to see new textures made for Doom 64, and rarer still to see them made so well and with such attention to stylistic authenticity. Thank you Cage!

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:13 pm
by wildweasel
Damn, I might run through some favorite old megawads with this set, if it can be used as a drop-in replacement.

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:58 pm
by Kinsie
wildweasel wrote:Damn, I might run through some favorite old megawads with this set, if it can be used as a drop-in replacement.
Unless Cage messed up his post, this release is basically just the image in the OP. Which makes it a great resource for mappers, but you'll want to work those elbows if you want it to replace the original patches.

Great stuff, Cage!

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:13 am
by HexenMapper
Very cool, will be keeping an eye on this. As a sometimes-Doom64 mapper, I appreciate any new resources :)

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:29 am
by osjclatchford
Cage wrote:Image
Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/VNsZY
Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzSuPz_LVIhEVlhjQXVjYTlHWkU/view?usp=sharing

A little something I whipped up on impulse :) Since Doom64 reloads are my most famous work, I thought I might do more of "filling in the gaps", this time on the texture front. The main idea was to take the texture designs from PC Doom (Preferably the most recognisable ones like STARTAN etc.) and recreate them in Doom64 in such a way they're as much of a seamless fit with stock Doom64 as I can make them.

Doom64 has a lot less modding interest, so I've decided to post the stuff I have so far before I spend a lot of time on it and it turns out no one has use for them. ;) I'd love to expand the set if there's enough interest.

Use in any way desired (including in your own edits) as long as you provide credit.
Cheers and have fun!

:shock: :wub: love these!

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:36 am
by zrrion the insect
Wow, these look fantastic Cage!

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:01 am
by Dynamo
great work :wink: will be very useful I'm sure!

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:41 pm
by ETTiNGRiNDER
Loving these.

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:33 pm
by Sgt. Shivers
Can't wait to see fireblu in the Doom 64 style!
Just kidding, I love what you've done here!

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:50 pm
by Pardo
i cant see a download link
can you make them into a wad or pk3 to use them as texture replacements for Doom2-based wads?

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:23 pm
by wildweasel
Pardo wrote:i cant see a download link
can you make them into a wad or pk3 to use them as texture replacements for Doom2-based wads?

You already have it downloaded - what's done is the image at the top of the thread. If you want to actually use it, you'll have to cut it up and import it yourself.

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:36 pm
by Pardo
wildweasel wrote:
Pardo wrote:i cant see a download link
can you make them into a wad or pk3 to use them as texture replacements for Doom2-based wads?

You already have it downloaded - what's done is the image at the top of the thread. If you want to actually use it, you'll have to cut it up and import it yourself.


i cant do that, i dont know how to mod doom.
i wouldnt even know where to start.

Re: Doom: The Way Midway Did

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:09 pm
by Caligari87
It's really not that hard. http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

TEXTURES would be a good place to start reading. SLADE is the current gold standard for lump (data) editing and even includes a tool specifically for importing/defining textures. GIMP or Paint.NET will work for cutting up the texture sheet and re-saving each as its own file.

8-)