[Resource] Chasm: The Rift Enemy sounds

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
User avatar
Pandut
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:47 pm
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: existential dread

[Resource] Chasm: The Rift Enemy sounds

Post by Pandut »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/byzvz ... nemies.rar

All the sounds of all Enemies from Chasm, nix the expansion ones. All are labeled and in an Unsigned 8-bit 11025Hz WAV format.


Spoiler: Old Post
Last edited by Pandut on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
zrrion the insect
Posts: 2415
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:58 pm
Location: Time Station 1: Moon of Glendale

Re: [Request] Chasm: The Rift sound files

Post by zrrion the insect »

I have all (or at least most) of the games sounds.
Edit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9sw2a ... Sounds.zip
Last edited by zrrion the insect on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pandut
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:47 pm
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: existential dread

Re: [Request] Chasm: The Rift sound files

Post by Pandut »

zrrion the insect wrote:I have all (or at least most) of the games sounds.
Excellent. Would you be willing to upload them?
User avatar
zrrion the insect
Posts: 2415
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:58 pm
Location: Time Station 1: Moon of Glendale

Re: [Request] Chasm: The Rift sound files

Post by zrrion the insect »

They're up. See previous post.
User avatar
Pandut
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:47 pm
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: existential dread

Re: [Request] Chasm: The Rift sound files

Post by Pandut »

Thanks a million :). Always thought Chasm had some good sound design. Shame it doesn't have the monster sounds, though I've heard those are the hardest files to get.
User avatar
torridgristle
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 am

Re: [Request] Chasm: The Rift sound files

Post by torridgristle »

Pandut wrote:Thanks a million :). Always thought Chasm had some good sound design. Shame it doesn't have the monster sounds, though I've heard those are the hardest files to get.
They're at the end of .CAR files in CSM.BIN in signed 8-bit little-endian, 11025hz.

Here's the sounds at the end of HERONEW.CAR http://vocaroo.com/i/s0oIMzziPIy5

Here's the sounds at the end of VIKING4.CAR http://vocaroo.com/i/s0UkDSw9v7Kj

Maybe someone will pull them out for us now that there's a clear location, maybe I'll end up manually importing them and chopping them up. :cry:

Here are the extracted CAR files for people to take a swing at: https://copy.com/n4vL98BqxiTus99L

Zrrion also missed a few sounds: https://copy.com/gKpsgjxXbUiA0QSB
User avatar
Pandut
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:47 pm
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: existential dread

Re: [Request] Chasm: The Rift sound files

Post by Pandut »

torridGristle wrote:
Pandut wrote:Thanks a million :). Always thought Chasm had some good sound design. Shame it doesn't have the monster sounds, though I've heard those are the hardest files to get.
They're at the end of .CAR files in CSM.BIN in signed 8-bit little-endian, 11025hz.

Here's the sounds at the end of HERONEW.CAR http://vocaroo.com/i/s0oIMzziPIy5

Here's the sounds at the end of VIKING4.CAR http://vocaroo.com/i/s0UkDSw9v7Kj

Maybe someone will pull them out for us now that there's a clear location, maybe I'll end up manually importing them and chopping them up. :cry:

Here are the extracted CAR files for people to take a swing at: https://copy.com/n4vL98BqxiTus99L

Zrrion also missed a few sounds: https://copy.com/gKpsgjxXbUiA0QSB
I've got nothing better to do, how does one extract/explore the .car files?
User avatar
torridgristle
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 am

Re: [Request] Chasm: The Rift sound files

Post by torridgristle »

Pandut wrote:
torridGristle wrote:
Pandut wrote:Thanks a million :). Always thought Chasm had some good sound design. Shame it doesn't have the monster sounds, though I've heard those are the hardest files to get.
They're at the end of .CAR files in CSM.BIN in signed 8-bit little-endian, 11025hz.

Here's the sounds at the end of HERONEW.CAR http://vocaroo.com/i/s0oIMzziPIy5

Here's the sounds at the end of VIKING4.CAR http://vocaroo.com/i/s0UkDSw9v7Kj

Maybe someone will pull them out for us now that there's a clear location, maybe I'll end up manually importing them and chopping them up. :cry:

Here are the extracted CAR files for people to take a swing at: https://copy.com/n4vL98BqxiTus99L

Zrrion also missed a few sounds: https://copy.com/gKpsgjxXbUiA0QSB
I've got nothing better to do, how does one extract/explore the .car files?
The only way I can figure out (though I may be able to get help to pull the complete files with perfect start / end and convert to wav) is to open Audacity, go to File > Import > Raw Data, select a .CAR, set it to signed 8-bit, little-endian, 1 channel mono, sample rate 11025. Then all you would have to do is go to the end, zoom in so you can clearly see where sounds begin and end, select them, and use File > Export Selection, save as type Other uncompressed files, go to Options, header is WAV (Microsoft), encoding unsigned 8-bit or you could choose FLAC and go to options and set the level to 8 and leave bit-depth at 16.

People may suggest you futz with lossy formats but for this situation OGG would make things worse.

Data for 2,785 sample length mono file:
Unsigned 8-Bit: 2.76 KB
FLAC Level 8 16-Bit: 2.31 KB
OGG Quality 0: 3.32 KB
OGG Quality 10: 4.27 KB
User avatar
Pandut
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:47 pm
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: existential dread

Re: [Request] Chasm: The Rift sound files

Post by Pandut »

Righto. Went through all the .car files, manually cut and saved the sounds in Unsigned 8-bit 11025Hz WAV files. Tried to label them correctly from memory.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/byzvz ... nemies.rar

Return to “Resources”