Twin Dragons not loading when using filtering.

Twin Dragons not loading when using filtering.

Postby WFFLink » Sun May 23, 2021 11:52 am

So not many know this but a Shadow Warrior Voxel pack exists: https://forums.duke4.net/topic/7030-shadow-warrior-the-missing-voxels-shadow-warrior-voxel-pack/

As of late I have been repackaging the mod to provide better compatibility for both VoidSW and Raze. After reading about the data filtering feature in the wiki I decided to try it out.

There are only two voxels that currently exist for SW's expansions at the moment. When I boot up WD with filter all seems absolutely fine and the both the WD exclusive voxel and the nomal SW voxel appear. Booting up normal SW with voxel pack also works. The problem starts when I want to load TD, as for whatever reason when I have any file inside one of the filter subfolders (in this case ShadowWarrior.TwinDragon, but even if I don't have that folder and only have ShadowWarrior.Wanton and it's corresponding sw-raze.def) TD won't even start. I have used this method before to play with the Blood upscale pack, and even in SW WD loads just fine.

Am I doing something wrong? The content of the the ShadowWarrior.TwinDragon is a single sw-raze.def file which inside include a def file I created for replacing the voxel in TD.

If I add the line used to to replace that specific TD sprite for that voxel in the normal swvoxel.def that I use for the base game (which itself gets loaded via sw-raze.def), then run Twin Dragons it works without errors.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a user error but I'm genuinely stumped about this.

Posted on General because I'm not 100% sure it is not a user generated error.
WFFLink

Discord: jac0907CM#0312
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Re: Twin Dragons not loading when using filtering.

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun May 23, 2021 12:43 pm

This is normal behavior. If you load one *-raze.def file, the regular name gets ignored. It's really the only way to make cumulative files work without running into cross-port conflicts. Just create a renamed copy of the main .def and all should be fine again
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby WFFLink » Sun May 23, 2021 12:56 pm

Sorry I did not quite understood that.

The thing is that at the moment I'm testing this I'm not using regular sw.def file at any point. I'm using the sw-raze.def file.

As and example, this is how the root of my sw install and the filter folders look like: https://imgur.com/a/dQ8nMWe

When you say "create a renamed copy of the main .def and all should be fine again", should I just make a copy of the sw-raze.def I use for the main game (and therefore contains the def file that adds the main game voxels), include the def that adds the specific TD voxels, then chuck it in the ShadowWarrior.TwinDragon folder?
WFFLink

Postby Phredreeke » Sun May 23, 2021 2:02 pm

So are you saying Twin Dragon won't start at all with the filter folders present?
Phredreeke

Discord: phredreeke#6500

Postby WFFLink » Sun May 23, 2021 2:22 pm

:D Oh hi Phredreeke! :)

Yeah TD wont run at all. This window opens and hangs for like a couple of seconds, then it closes: https://imgur.com/a/sgY3lgf

To be clear. TD wont start at all if the filter folders have anything in them.
WFFLink

Postby WFFLink » Sun May 23, 2021 3:15 pm

Here is another interesting thing. Whenever I load SW and WD the sw-raze.def gets loaded (this is without filters, Just the pure voxel pack without any expansion specific voxels). When TD gets loaded, it does not. Instead it loads twindrag.def. Attached the logs if they are useful in any way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WFFLink

Postby NightFright » Sun May 23, 2021 3:24 pm

I noticed that as well. Twindrag.def seems to take priority over any other def file if it is found. It should probably be changed. Apparently twindrag.def isn't only in ProAsm's release, but also in Classic Redux. I wonder if they used ProAsm's version, which would be kinda lazy. Anyway, the def doesn't load anything vital, just a patch for the menu title and a credits screen.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby WFFLink » Sun May 23, 2021 4:33 pm

NightFright wrote:I noticed that as well. Twindrag.def seems to take priority over any other def file if it is found. It should probably be changed. Apparently twindrag.def isn't only in ProAsm's release, but also in Classic Redux. I wonder if they used ProAsm's version, which would be kinda lazy. Anyway, the def doesn't load anything vital, just a patch for the menu title and a credits screen.

Hail Nightfright!

So this problem then is potentially on Raze side of the equation then? Where is located twindrag.def anyways, inside the grp?
WFFLink

Postby NightFright » Mon May 24, 2021 1:11 am

Yeah, it's embedded in the group and Raze is loading it automatically. Issue is it overrides any other def you might wanna load, meaning you can use sw-raze.def anywhere, but not with Twin Dragon. Which is hardly optimal IMHO.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon May 24, 2021 1:49 am

I think the best course of action would be to manually load this file through a separate grpinfo setting and set the default back to "sw.def".
Why couldn't they just put the two added images in additional .art files? :?
Graf Zahl

Postby NightFright » Mon May 24, 2021 4:14 am

The two tiles defined in TD weren't meant to be there. Probably ProAsm added them retroactively. Originally TD didn't have its own menu title and credits screen. It was a quick and dirty solution for sure, would have been cleaner and easier via art files. Sadly the files are as they are now, official and everything. I still can't believe they used this in Redux. Sure, filesize is a lot smaller than the original release, but there's stuff in there that shouldn't be in a groupfile.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon May 24, 2021 4:19 am

Yeah, right, so we can just ignore that .def file? Even better, that's a trivial fix. I already cull the swcustom.txt file because it clashes with my localization setup.
Graf Zahl

Postby NightFright » Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 am

I can't see a reason why that def MUST be loaded at any cost. It's really only adding some trivial stuff which is most likely user made and shouldn't even be in the groupfile. It's not a big loss if you don't get to see it.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon May 24, 2021 5:20 am

I never managed to make them show up, so...

I think they were additions SWP can handle, but no other port.
Graf Zahl

Postby NightFright » Mon May 24, 2021 6:34 am

Unless you load twindrag.def on purpose, you won't see any of it, yeah. ProAsm made his port automatically detect that file he put there by himself.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Next

Return to General