The first preview of the new renderer is available!

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

The first preview of the new renderer is available!

Post by Graf Zahl »

Preview has been taken down after first round of feedback revealed some problems that need proper addressing before testing may continue.
Last edited by Graf Zahl on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamo

Re: The first preview of the new renderer is available!

Post by Dynamo »

Graf Zahl wrote:This is mainly to get feedback on maps with render tricks so that we can add/improve support for them
Well, if anybody has a list of such maps, that would be great, as many of the ones I'm aware of rely on eduke32-specific stuff so they're not useful in this instance.

From the github page, this bug is already reported:
there is one known render glitch in Cryptic Passage map CP07 which is still under investigation. This may affect more maps with overlapping sector effects, so we'd like to ask to check out known maps with such features.
EDIT: As far as vanilla maps go I can already confirm there are some problems on E2L11, Lunatic Fringe. I suspect the cause may be similar to the above example from Cryptic Passage but I'm not sure. See the video here:

This map as well as E3L10, Tier Drops, are notorious due to their heavy portal usage, so I encourage everyone to play these two maps and try breaking them as much as possible.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sinisterseed »

I would encourage everyone to play as much weird and tricky stuff as possible honestly.

Where I expect to see weirdness is gonna be Blood mods for me, actually, considering Blood did not enjoy ports, especially hardware capable ones, for a very long time, and who knows what's out there. Popular mods like Dark Times, Death Wish, Bloody Pulp Fiction, Out for Blood, CWHHROT, would be my first stop.

Duke at least had Polymer present.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I have decided to prematurely end the preview. I just got pointed to several maps where severe render glitches occured and all have the same trait: It is possible to look into two sectors overlapping in x/y but not in z but one sector affecting the others clipping state, resulting in severe HOM effects. In short: The approach I used simply does not work for Build.

So it's back to the design stage to address this. I've taken down the download as further feedback would not be useful.

Return to “General”