Releases

User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48355
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Releases

Post by Graf Zahl »

As long as this engine is still in an alpha state I don't think it makes much sense to start news threads each time.

I'll just bump this thread each time, the releases will be available on the Github interface here:

https://github.com/coelckers/Raze/releases

[2020-02-09] 0.4.1 alpha just went online.
Last edited by Graf Zahl on Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Phredreeke
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 am

Re: Releases

Post by Phredreeke »

Thank you, this saves me the effort of building myself :P
User avatar
Nash
 
 
Posts: 17322
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:07 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Releases

Post by Nash »

Some additional tips:

- To bring back the classic look, disable texture filtering (set it to Nearest (Trilinear)), go into Display Options -> Polymost Options, and enable Palette Emulation and Palette Interpolation

- You might notice that Raze's audio sounds a little muffled, like there's a lowpass applied. To bring back the classic sound, go to Sound Options -> Advanced Options -> OpenAL Options and set Resampler to "Nearest".

- You can quickly bind keys to modern style in the Customize Controls menu; there's preset options at the bottom. "Default" is the modern (WASD) scheme. Do note that different games may bind slightly different keys (mostly related to the item hotkeys)
User avatar
sinisterseed
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:48 am
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Releases

Post by sinisterseed »

To slightly expand on the sound part, this is particularly noticeable in Duke.

In truth, the sound design in this game simply isn't great overall - even when compared to Carribean which comes with new, higher quality sounds, which will give the impression of the effects being muffled. Blood and SW for instance greatly benefit from the improved zound system, but Duke is the odd one from the lot.
Teddipetzi
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:32 am
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Releases

Post by Teddipetzi »

This is really cool!
I've been playing around with this for the last few hours and this looks to be the most promising Build engine port ever. Great work all around!
But the sound - this is what I wouldn't have expected. This is so much better than everything that came before it's unreal. The biggest improvement I heard in Blood. It is almost as if an entire layer of crap was dusted off the sound. What was wrong here? The sounds are clearly of decent quality but the game always sounded - off.

Regarding Duke: Yes, the sounds are indeed of pathetically low quality - but how on Earth can adding more noise make them sound better? I'm just happy that the sound here is finally free of that shit - this thick layer of high frequency noise sometimes sounded like a bad analogue radio from the 80's. Good riddance!
User avatar
Rachael
Admin
Posts: 13100
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 pm
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Releases

Post by Rachael »

After several tries using Github's absolutely shitty release uploader I finally got the Linux build for 0.4.0 uploaded.
markanini
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Releases

Post by markanini »

Teddipetzi wrote:This is really cool!
I've been playing around with this for the last few hours and this looks to be the most promising Build engine port ever. Great work all around!
But the sound - this is what I wouldn't have expected. This is so much better than everything that came before it's unreal. The biggest improvement I heard in Blood. It is almost as if an entire layer of crap was dusted off the sound. What was wrong here? The sounds are clearly of decent quality but the game always sounded - off.

Regarding Duke: Yes, the sounds are indeed of pathetically low quality - but how on Earth can adding more noise make them sound better? I'm just happy that the sound here is finally free of that shit - this thick layer of high frequency noise sometimes sounded like a bad analogue radio from the 80's. Good riddance!
You clearly have a discerning ear. I complained about these issues to Duke4 but all they cared about was that the output matched the original Dos binary. :roll:
User avatar
sinisterseed
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:48 am
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Releases

Post by sinisterseed »

Not surprising, I think they did the same with the palette emulation, which is now forced on I think.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48355
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Re: Releases

Post by Graf Zahl »

markanini wrote: but all they cared about was that the output matched the original Dos binary. :roll:
:laff:

Yes, we know these types well enough. They seem to hang around for all old games...

:mrgreen:
lowskill. wrote:Not surprising, I think they did the same with the palette emulation, which is now forced on I think.
Actually, not anymore. But the option can only be set in the console. Of course you can always use Polymer which has no palette emulation shader.
User avatar
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:54 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Releases

Post by Redneckerz »

Nash wrote:Some additional tips:

- To bring back the classic look, disable texture filtering (set it to Nearest (Trilinear)), go into Display Options -> Polymost Options, and enable Palette Emulation and Palette Interpolation

- You might notice that Raze's audio sounds a little muffled, like there's a lowpass applied. To bring back the classic sound, go to Sound Options -> Advanced Options -> OpenAL Options and set Resampler to "Nearest".

- You can quickly bind keys to modern style in the Customize Controls menu; there's preset options at the bottom. "Default" is the modern (WASD) scheme. Do note that different games may bind slightly different keys (mostly related to the item hotkeys)
If there is one complaint i have seen come across, it is that Texture filtering should be defaulted to off and not on.

That and the audio issues are the most common complaints.

Some folks at the Duke4 community attempt to run AMC TC on it - On all i have suggested to file reports. More reports means more sample data, means also more work for Graf but also helps everyone :)
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48355
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Re: Releases

Post by Graf Zahl »

143 downloads in the first 12 hours. I'd say that's not bad. :)
User avatar
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:54 am
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Releases

Post by Redneckerz »

Graf Zahl wrote:143 downloads in the first 12 hours. I'd say that's not bad. :)
Definitely a good stuff. Announcing it at more places may also help? A R667 post should be up for Friday or Saturday. That way, interest (hopefully) remains over the weekend and people cancel all their important wedding and holiday plans to play Raze. :wink:
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 48355
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Re: Releases

Post by Graf Zahl »

The downside is that the initial flood of bug reports will be somewhat larger than anticipated. Fortunately so far no serious issue had been reported, it's mostly minor glitches, but no mysterious crashes or worse things.
User avatar
sinisterseed
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:48 am
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Releases

Post by sinisterseed »

Graf Zahl wrote:The downside is that the initial flood of bug reports will be somewhat larger than anticipated. Fortunately so far no serious issue had been reported, it's mostly minor glitches, but no mysterious crashes or worse things.
Hey, we did our job too y'know ;).
the_lost
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:08 pm

Re: Releases

Post by the_lost »

Signed up here just to say thanks so much for making this, and (hopefully) continuing to work on it! I've always had problems getting Build engine games to run well as they always seem to stutter or have other weird issues, so it's wonderful to be able to finally play Duke3D again smoothly!

Return to “General”