[Closed] [1.1.0] Prior saves are broken in several ways

Moderator: Raze Developers

[1.1.0] Prior saves are broken in several ways

Postby LushKava » Thu May 13, 2021 4:54 am

Hello. I have previously run Raze versions 1.0.1 and 1.0.3 and upgrading to 1.1.0 has broken compatibility for prior saves in the following ways.

• Duke Nukem 3D saves do not appear after selecting LOAD GAME
  • Blood and Redneck Rampage saves fail to load due to a JSON parsing error
  • Shadow Warrior saves cause a segfault (crash) upon loading
Those are all the games that I have so I cannot speak for any of the others. In the case of Duke Nukem 3D, the saves were all generated by version 1.0.3. In the case of Blood and Redneck Rampage, the error is: float type expected for "spin". I was able to work around it by extracting the session.json file from a save and changing the value for this key from 0 to 0.0 before re-incorporating the modified file. As for Shadow Warrior, I know only that a segmentation fault occurs, with the program crashing to desktop. I shall attempt to obtain a trace. In the meantime, I am attaching one of the offending save files.

The host system runs Arch Linux, with the package having been built using the PKGBUILD from https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/raze/. After encountering these issues, I modified it to build version 1.1.1, which did not help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LushKava on Thu May 13, 2021 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
LushKava

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Raze 1.1.0 breaks prior saves in several ways

Postby LushKava » Thu May 13, 2021 5:09 am

I just realised that I posted in the wrong section. If possible, could someone move this thread to Raze Development > Bugs? Thanks.
LushKava

Re: [1.1.0] Prior saves are broken in several ways

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu May 13, 2021 9:05 am

I forgot to bump the minimum savegame version for 1.1.0. Some of the changes to the internal angle storage cannot be ported over. For Duke the reason why you do not see the old saves anymore is that I had to separate 1.3 from 1.5 saves into different directories, so the old one no longer applies. But they'd fall victim to the same problem as the other games.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby LushKava » Thu May 13, 2021 10:20 am

Alright. Should I bother to investigate the segfault further?
LushKava

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu May 13, 2021 10:53 am

No. There's no point. SW had a complete savegame format change.

The entire problem here is simply that I forgot to bump the savegame version for all games and make an announcement about the incompatibility.
If you still have an old savegame, complete it with the old version.
Graf Zahl

Postby LushKava » Thu May 13, 2021 11:40 am

Yes, I understand. The reason for my question was that, notwithstanding the oversight, the program is effectively crashing on malformed input. Anyway, I'll just ditch the old saves. My desire to track the current version outweighs the degree of investment in them.
LushKava

Return to Closed Bugs