Disable Automap

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
::Bloodfury::
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Disable Automap

Post by ::Bloodfury:: »

Hey guys!

As mentioned above.

I have a story line map where player is totally frozen. hud is hidden etc. pics and text run with acs and so on.
however, the possibility that one can toggle automap annoys me. Any simple way to disable it.
Just for this map.

Thx in advance. :)
edward850

Re: Disable Automap

Post by edward850 »

You don't. The automap in Doom/Raven/Strife is an absolute. In fact ZDoom goes out of its way to provide methods to make sure the automap always works. There is no cheating the automap.
Because it's an absolute, this allows for the possibility of multi-screen support showing the automap permanently on another monitor. A reserved feature when someone finds the time, if you will.
::Bloodfury::
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ::Bloodfury:: »

Well, guess I just hide all linedefs and make easter egg with visible ones reading: You should not be using this ;)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

::Bloodfury:: wrote:Well, guess I just hide all linedefs and make easter egg with visible ones reading: You should not be using this ;)
That was put in place for old 1994 maps that thought it could abuse that. Hiding the map no longer cuts mustard. ;)
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

To be honest I think you could kindly ask the player not to use the automap and call it a day. Cheating will always be possible one way or another, if they want to spoil the experience or the atmosphere, let them, it's their loss.

On topic of automaps being absolute.. would it theoretically be possible to link the automap (either the overlay version or background version) to a texture (preferably a HUD element?) It'd be pretty cool to have a minimap in the corner of the screen, though I could see it being used in the same level of creativity as camera textures are.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

The full automap being an overlay has been done once before. Problem is the code was unfinished and went stale so it had to be dropped.
As a texture is a little more interesting (although not impossible), as technically the current ZDoom automap is hardware rendered entirely, but any texture would need to exist back as an 8bit buffer. You could probably just use the old drawer, although that depends on if anybody would consider that worth trying to do.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

::Bloodfury:: wrote:Any simple way to disable it.
Here you go :)
Attachments
nomap.zip
(61.39 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
edward850

Post by edward850 »

MaxED wrote:
::Bloodfury:: wrote:Any simple way to disable it.
Here you go :)
Key note if that ever gets used it's equally asking for an off switch. Aside from the concept that it even works with independent overlays or multi-monitor.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

"Disable HUD messages on automap" "Off"/"On"

Makes sense when seeing such shit.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Graf Zahl wrote:"Disable HUD messages on automap" "Off"/"On"
Makes sense when seeing such shit.
That
Nash

Post by Nash »

So? I can just as well already make a mod that covers the entire 3D view with a black graphic at all times. What are you going to do, make a "disable all Hud messages" option?

I can also - right now - make a DECORATE actor that hard locks the session. What then - a "disable DECORATE actors" option?

Why do you automatically assume everyone is going to do bad things? You obviously have no taste for joke and troll mods, so the choice of NOT playing them is already entirely up to you.

There are legitimate uses for automap HUD messages - draw additional stats and numbers that the stock K/S/I counters do not cover - it would be best to draw them to the side of the map screen instead of cluttering the main 3D viewport while playing.

I think it's better to not just blindly judge everyone on assumption...
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Heeey, ya know, I REALLY don't like archviles! I should probably don't allow GZDB users to save their maps if there are more than 2 archviles in them. OH! OH! And I VEEEERY liek those modern ZDoom stuffs liek 3d floors and stuff. So any map without at least 10 of thos also wont be saved. Now THAT will maek them maps MUUUUCH better, dontyouthink?????
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:So? I can just as well already make a mod that covers the entire 3D view with a black graphic at all times. What are you going to do, make a "disable all Hud messages" option?
A mod that's not playable is worthless.
A mod that deliberately sabotages an engine feature is reason for adding an override switch for the nonsense it performs.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

There may be gameplay reasons for that, you know. For example, you cannot view the map in Wolfenstein: New Order if you haven't found the map item for the current area yet.

Also, if a mod blocks the map and players find it annoying, they will direct their whining at mod author, not you, so I don't understand why you want to enforce this engine-side. It will just add yet another point to the list of "In order to play this mod, you'll need to set this option to that value, that option to this value, flip those and fiddle with that (and god forbid you disable dynamic lights or models!)".
Chl

Post by Chl »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Nash wrote:So? I can just as well already make a mod that covers the entire 3D view with a black graphic at all times. What are you going to do, make a "disable all Hud messages" option?
A mod that's not playable is worthless.
A mod that deliberately sabotages an engine feature is reason for adding an override switch for the nonsense it performs.
This reasoning is so dumb I don't know where to start. Not everyone is going to use ZDoom to make Doom shooter mods and not having the automap does not make a mod unplayable anyway. I have no Idea how anyone can make that conclusion.

What if I want the automap to be a pickup for example(which I do)? Also you don't have to play those mods as mentioned earlier. Making up arbitrary rules as a dev that put limitations on modmakers, as long as they can't do dumb shit like damaging the computer, goes against the whole idea of making mods(you know, making unintended engine features to the original product) I think.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”