I need help replacing weapons!

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.

I need help replacing weapons!

Postby Mini--Joe » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:42 pm

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I do not know much about this place yet. I wanted to make a customized version of Doom II by replacing the weapon sprites with my own. Could somebody please explain how I would go about doing so? And which programs I'll need? I see a lot of Doom mods in WAD or PK3 form, and I want my sprites to replace the default in the same way, so that I can still use other mods alongside it. I have never created a Doom mod before, so everything is brand new to me.
Mini--Joe

Re: I need help replacing weapons!

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:00 pm

You're going to want to pick up SLADE, it's pretty much the best doom editor out there at the moment. After you get that you need to import the sprites and put them between an S_START and S_END lump. If they share the same sprite names as the original doom guns that's all, but if they're different there's more you need to do.
Sgt. Shivers

Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Postby Kappes Buur » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Have a read here: https://github.com/sirjuddington/SLADE/wiki/ in the tutorials section.

If you want to add new weapons then have a look at http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/ar ... -157-97317 .
Download and drag onto ZDoom or GZDoom.

[edit]
I forgot to mention that you have to summon the weapon.
You can find the name of the weapon in the DECORATE lump.
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kappes Buur

Postby Mini--Joe » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:02 pm

I managed to get a test sprite into the game as a replacement for PISGA0 (first pistol frame) but it is FAR from being centered! How do I center it?
Mini--Joe

Postby Cryomundus » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:16 pm

You'll need to look for a "Modify Offsets" button. Not too sure where it should be since I think I'm using either an older version/beta version, but it should be 2 blue circles with a plus between them. The nice thing about it is that it can do it automatically if you select the drop down menu and select "Hud/Weapon (DOOM)", and BAM, all done. You can also select alot of sprites at once in SLADE and change the offsets en-mass too, which is very, very handy. (for a while I swore I had to do it by hand, which was infuriating.)
Cryomundus

Postby Kappes Buur » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:30 am

Cryomundus gave a nice account of how to do this. I just supply some images to go along with it.

Done with Slade-3.1.0.1-626-g0336db5

You can do this manually by setting the offset for each weapon sprite lump using the Offsets: bar on the bottom so that the weapon
sprite is centered as indicated, or use the Auto menu.

Or, you can highlight all weapon sprite lumps, right-click on the highlighted lumps and use the Modify Gfx Offsets menu
and select Hud/Weapon (Doom).

However, if you choose the automatic way you may find that the weapons are shifted a bit too much to the right.
This can be overcome by selecting Set Offsets and shifting the weapon sprites so that they are centered.

A bit of trial and error may be needed at first. :)
Kappes Buur

Postby Mini--Joe » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:45 am

Wow, thank you all so much! This is so much easier than expected, I am actually making progress on a mod now!
Mini--Joe

Postby Mini--Joe » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:17 pm

I know this looks super silly, but I was able to do this!
http://gyazo.com/bb517d3415110e25929e879ec724f198
Mini--Joe

Return to Editing (Archive)