LZDoom 3.88b 02/26 released

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

LZDoom 3.88b 02/26 released

Post by drfrag »

Fixes/features since 3.87c
  • Add pistol start option for Doom. Controlled by the pistolstart CVAR but it only works when not in a hub.
  • Fix vid_showcurrentscaling, vid_scaletowidth and vid_scaletoheight.
  • Increase default resolution.
  • Use the gamma shader in fullscreen mode as well, controlled by d3d_nogammaramp.
  • Make the double spawn check more generic.
  • Fixed: ActorMover was not changing its tracer's flags.
  • Fixed: a render radius of 0 did not restrict rendering to the source sector in software.
  • Fixed crash calling ChangeSky() with an invalid texture in software.
  • Fix abort with dir command and empty string on Windows.
  • Implemented 'block land monsters' line flag. (from GZDoom)
  • Added 'NoPerPixelLighting' flag to models to force it to not use per-pixel lighting. (from GZDoom)
  • PreTravelled virtual for player and inventory. (from GZDoom)
  • More fixes for ancient bugs from GZDoom.
  • Extend the changemap command to allow warping to next and nextsecret with + and +$
  • Don't show the IWAD selection box when it's selected by a PWAD.
  • Menu adjustments for compatibility.
  • Added missing null pointer check in S_GetSoundClass.
  • Skip CSV LANGUAGE lumps.
  • Add missing model option to the software renderer menu.
  • Add double spawn skill property and DM flag.
  • Restore Unholy Massacre and 1K Deaths but now they can be hidden in menu. UM graphic by JNechaevsky
  • Add fallback for console sheet fonts.
  • Fixed crash calling ChangeSky() with an invalid texture.
  • Adjustments for defcvars.
  • Add the d3d_nogammaramp CVAR to play fullscreen with blue light filters, restore the old gamma table method.
  • Don't reset the old random index upon loading savegames.
  • Add COMPATF2_OLD_RANDOM_GENERATOR to Doom compatibility mode.
  • Prevent potential crash with fog and software light modes.
  • Fixed crash with voodoo dolls in MP after players quit the game.
  • Fix crash with wind effect on special water sectors.
  • More fixes and features from GZDoom.
Download Fixes/features since 3.87b
  • Fixed graphic glitches with the partial invisibility effect.
  • Revert "Multi-intermission waits for all players" and "Added wi_autoadvance".
  • Include game_widescreen_gfx.pk3 by Nash.
  • Fixed: Monster reaction time was always zero with fast monsters and not just on nightmare.
  • Prevent damagecount overflow.
  • Add autodetection for GOG's releases of Heretic and Hexen.
  • Fixed: dynamic lights ticked even when disabled.
  • Fix missing null pointer check (Nashgore crash).
  • Fix for the "GC can't keep up while the game is paused" issue.
  • Fixed wrong ChangeLevel export to ZScript.
  • Fixed config file being overriden when it's blocked by another application.
  • More fixes and a few features from GZDoom.
Fixes/features since 3.86a
  • Fixed sound limiting not working for full volume monster sounds.
  • Better widescreen support, now Nash's wide graphics are autoloaded.
  • Fixed an infinite loop which caused a hang after the libADLMIDI and libOPNMIDI update.
  • Add some missing functions to menus.
  • converted level global variable into real pointer.
  • Hacked a level member into thinkers.
  • Added the compat_oldrandom compatibility option for enhanced vanilla play and included it in the Doom (Strict) mode.
  • Fixed: NetServerInfo was not being saved after the exit cleanup.
  • fixed sounds not being serialized for hub travel.
  • Update SIGIL support.
  • Fixed -glversion 3 was not being promoted to 3.3.
  • add support for the (as of now) newest version of the Unity re-releases
  • Add the DF2_NO_COOP_THING_SPAWNDM flag to prevent spawning MP things in coop.
  • Add game load message.
  • Disable chat for single player, controlled by the chat_self CVAR.
  • Fixed division by zero when damageinterval was not specified from ZScript.
  • A lot of stuff from GZDoom.
Fixes/features since 3.85
  • Add missing DrawTextureTags. DTA_FlipY, DTA_SrcX, DTA_SrcY, DTA_SrcWidth and DTA_SrcHeight.
  • Add fake missing DTA_Desaturate DrawTexture tag.
  • Fixed number of DrawTextureTags didn't match in ZScript.
  • Present the iwad selection box also with only one iwad.
  • Don't show the iwad selection box with -iwad.
  • Fixed crash printing weapon name tags.
  • Fixed crash on maps with out of range sidedef and sector numbers, adapted from PRBoom.
  • Fixed: check for bad sidedefs was not taking into account unused sides.
  • Reload fake fonts, people keep doing it and that made some mods incompatible.
  • Replace the "IJKL" keyboard preset with "OKL;".
  • Fixed jump key in Hexen for the modern keyboard presets.
  • Change default key bindings: add arrow keys to the left-handed preset and set mouse3 to activate items for the modern presets.
  • Restored original colors for player setup icon backdrop.
  • fixed erroneous removal of property flag members. Fixes unknown flag errors.
  • Fixed compatibility flags not working in scripting.
  • Add updated Brazilian Portuguese translation by Daniel Lemos.
  • Bump LASTRUNVERSION for defcvars. Missed this.
  • Missed a bit for stat screens (fixes Guncaster Vindicated).
  • Add fake vid_rendermode CVAR.
  • Prevent crash on exit trying to load the unsupported sheet fonts.
  • Blind attempt at fixing wrong mouse position in OpenGLFrameBuffer and OpenGLSWFrameBuffer.
Fixes/features since 3.84
  • Added native support for 4 XInput controllers for fake splitscreen.
  • Added support for several default control layouts.
  • Minor things here and there too esoteric to mention.
  • A lot of stuff from GZDoom: sound refactor, ZMusic, exit cleanup...
Fixes/features since 3.83a
  • Fixed taking screenshots in menus with Space when Sys_Rq is set as screenshot key (randi).
  • Bumped ZScript version to be the same as in GZDoom.
  • Fixed stretching for 256 and 240 pixels tall skies in software.
  • Removed and replaced the following LevelCompatibility functions: FlipLine, GetNumMapThings, GetMapThingPos, GetMapThingAngle, SetMapThingAngle.
  • Fixed lighting problems with weapon models.
  • Remove UM skill from the menu now that i've added the real thing with 2xmonsters in RUDE, still works with skill 5.
  • Replaced the useless 160x200 scale preset with widescreen 356x200.
  • Add option to reset controls to defaults.
Fixes/features since 3.82
  • Added missing null pointer checks to fix a crash with PB.
  • Added the 'quickunsetslot' command to unset the quicksave slot.
  • Fixed capped tall skies not working (Heretic and Hexen). Fixed sky stretching for the new freelook limit.
  • Implement the following functions under LevelCompatibility: FlipLine, GetNumMapThings, GetMapThingPos, GetMapThingAngle, SetMapThingAngle.
  • Wall and sprite render cull options for the GL renderer.
  • Added support for up to 4 DirectInput joysticks with 32 button each at the same time for fake splitscreen. For each gamepad you need to set axes to none in the other instances.
  • Added low detail mode (160x200) to the preset scale modes. UI looks horizontally stretched tough.
  • Implement taking screen shots in menus (m8f). Added support for PrtSc.
  • Use signal handler to invoke call_terms() before exit when possible (Conn O'Griofa)
  • Fixed crash drawing fog boundaries in the software renderer.
  • Fixed another crash in the software renderer now with transparent sprites (Stronghold STR12).
  • Fixed ancient ZDoom savegame slot selection bug.
  • Changed how the old quicksave works. Now you select the slot using quicksave like in original Doom.
  • Models are for now disabled by default for the classic software renderer with the new r_models_carmack CVAR for better performance on some maps and to avoid an issue with dissapearing sprites.
  • Allow disabling mirrors for the GL renderer with gl_mirrors as some maps abuse them and portals are much slower in the old renderer. Also reduce the number of default recursions.
  • Fixed vanilla light mode being available for GL2 when it's not supported without shaders.
  • Block scaling for the classic software renderer (D3D), it didn't work and caused some serious glitches.
  • Fall back to D3D for software on systems without GL2 support.
  • Tweaked the 1K Deaths skill setting for Heretic.
  • Fixed fuzz style fallback not working in GL legacy mode. Changed default since software style was too expensive on old cards.
  • A lot of stuff from GZDoom. Bumped ZScript to 3.9.0.
Fixes/features since 3.61b4
fsplits2.png
  • Fake splitscreen support: you need to enable the 'vid_activeinbackground', 'i_soundinbackground' and the new 'joy_background' cvars.
    Start two copies of LZDoom from different folders (e.g. with ZDL), one with -host 2 and another one with '-join 127.0.0.1'. You need a dual core CPU, you'll probably get the best results using software D3D and setting 'r_multithreaded' to 0. Set player two to use the gamepad (left stick to move, right one to look around) and give the focus to player one, works for DInput and SDL.
  • Gives a warning instead of error out on unsupported ZScript version (3.8.3), hacked to run most mods with the original fonts.
  • Support for SIGIL and NERVE as iwads.
  • More DOOM2 compatibility fixes.
  • Auto level compatibility is now optional by Enjay's request: 'sv_njnoautolevelcompat' cvar. Gives a warning on level load.
  • Fixed crash with Eviternity on level end.
  • Huge update with tons of stuff from GZDoom such as the JIT compiler for 64 bit.
  • Reminder: savegames in LZDoom are sorted by filename (slot), to restore the old order use the 'oldsaveorder' cvar.
Original post
From the creators of GZDoom Vintage, ZDoom LE, ZDoom32, ZDoom CL, RUDE and probably even more i can't remember right now comes LZDoom. :)
This is the old ill-fated legacy build. Yes, D3D and DDRAW are back with a vengeance. Just kidding. :P
This will help some people experiencing crashes with the vintage build on some old intel and ati "cards". Of course it will run on older hardware.
I could release a non SSE2 build if there's enough demand but for XP minimum. Same for Linux.
It's based on GZDoom 3.3.2 so it's the new old GL renderer with most of the later stuff added. AFAIR a couple of important things are missing: 2D shape and thick line drawers, i added fake drawers so it won't crash. Also you can expect a few extra silly features. :)
Of course this is unofficial. It's here:

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/commits/g3.3mgw

Copyright © 1993-1996 id Software, 1998-2016 Randi Heit, 2002-2020 Christoph Oelckers, et al.
Copyright © 2016-2020 Magnus Norddahl, Rachael Alexanderson and Alexey Lysiuk.
Icon and logo Copyright © 2019 Daniel Gimmer
Last edited by drfrag on Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:01 am, edited 44 times in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: LZDoom [beta released]

Post by Graf Zahl »

Just a reminder: This is licensed under the GPL so you have to provide a link to the source here as well. The minimum would be a direct link to the git repo and the active subbranch.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Yes, i forgot to add the link to the source. It was late yesterday, i guess now it's fine.
BTW this is actually forked from master a bit later than 3.3.2. The 32 bit version is a v140_xp build and the 64 bit one is a v141 build.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've "joined" Hacktoberfest 2018 with a project to add a D3D11 backend finishing the work by dpJudas in the d3d11target experimental branch. D3D9 would be used as a fallback and then DDraw. Okay this would be complex stuff so i don't expect anyone contributing just to get a T-shirt. This could be a good addition, new and exciting shaders would be welcome too. :lol:
So in case anyone is interested (including randi of course) it's here:
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/projects
Any hints would be welcome.
dpJudas wrote: The D3D11 target is meant to be a "legacy free" target that supports better viewport handling, but still using the old shaders from the D3D9 target. By legacy free I mean that the target assumes the hardware supports basic shaders and 24/32 bit render targets. When the day comes to drop XP support, we can check if anyone with old computer has trouble running with the new target, and if not then phase out the D3D9 target as well. Otherwise just keep D3D9 as fallback in the same way DDraw was used.

This all assumes I finish the work there before getting bored, of course. Right now the D3D11 target has less features than the D3D9 target. :)
kondoriyano

Post by kondoriyano »

this is great ! thx so much for this ! now i can playing any gz3.5 mod with my old laptop without crash
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Thanks, you're welcome.
Actually i've found a serious bug: the softpoly renderer crashed at high resolutions (something about capped skies). I've reverted "removed the 8x8 block drawing code from softpoly", there were no conflicts and apparently it was harmless but it wasn't. It's fixed for the next release.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: LZDoom [beta 2 aka Helloween edition]

Post by drfrag »

I've just released a new beta, i planned to do it a few days ago but i was busy with other stuff. It's the beta 2 from OCT 31 aka Helloween Edition. :)
The dither shader is a half-assed feature in LZDoom and needs testing on Intel cards, it should be fast with it disabled and i expect it to be slow when enabled.
Have fun!

Windows 32 bit
Windows 64 bit
Source code
Paar

Re: LZDoom [beta 2 aka Helloween edition released]

Post by Paar »

How is this project related to ZDoom32? Are you planning to maintain both separatedly or is LZDoom full on replacement?

Will new GZDoom features like enhanced ZScript incorporated?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

As i said above it's based on a recent GZDoom and should run everything for now, then most likely i'll stick to 3.7x version numbering. The lightmaps will not be portable (same for the vintage build).
They are not related and there's some stuff in ZDoom32 pending for a new release. Now an issue is being investigated by MS and i'll try to get portals and mirrors working with MinGW in the GL renderer by changing the floating point model (no fastmath).
Also i could add full decorate support (a few things are missing) but it would require some work and seems there's not much interest.

About the last beta i've tried it myself on intel (i've been fixing office 365 on my sister in law's laptop with an i3 6006u, it's systematically screwed after every win 10 upgrade) and...
WOW! Severe performance regression with that GL dither half-assed feature. The matrix is being created on every frame even when it's not used and i get one third of the performance, disabling gl_dither has no effect. On nvidia there's only a slight performance penalty when enabled. So i'm reverting this stuff.
This is what i did (present.fp):
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/com ... 6d1298161a
I still need to try the vintage build (but that feature is not there).
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Released a fixed beta for intel with a simplified present shader, of course dither won't work in the intel version. I will revert that thing for the next release.
Sorry but if you're on intel it's time to re-redownload, see links in the first post.
DXGG

Post by DXGG »

THANK YOU! NOW I CAN FINALLY PLAY WITHOUT CRASHES!!!!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Glad it's working for you. You're welcome.

I tried the vintage build on the intel laptop (i3 6006u) and loading takes up to 10 seconds, so it's exactly the same.
Regarding the MinGW bug in ZDoom32 (broken portals and mirrors) it also happens in debug builds. The crash with lambdas is fixed.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I don't know what this port is doing, but recently Impie and I tried LZDoom since his hardware is in a barely usable state, and it seems to have trouble using player sounds as GZDoom recognizes them.

An example of a wad with this issue is Project Einherjar - Juno makes the proper screams when she's damaged in GZDoom, but she sounds like Doomguy in LZDoom.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

It's a bad merge of "Add "neutral" gender option and better obit formatting " somehow but there was no conflict. The 3.51 beta was not affected.
I'll investigate it. Setting the gender to object works, strange.
Edit: the forum kicks you out after a few minutes of inactivity so i lost my previous message.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

drfrag wrote: Edit: the forum kicks you out after a few minutes of inactivity so i lost my previous message.
Ooops, sorry about that, I was doing a few tweaks with the backend last night and forgot to undo the changes. It should be back to normal, now.

Return to “Game Engines”