Linux Multiplayer Desync

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

Linux Multiplayer Desync

Postby antiswitcher » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:42 am

I was hosting a multiplayer game. Unfortunately, two maps would cause everyone to desync with me, the hoster. The only version difference was the operating system. All participants would load Hideous Destructor, (stable) which is known to not cause desyncs. I have hosted 6 player matches before, but these maps would consistently desync me. I double checked with everyone that we had the exact same game version, and mod version.
-Diabolus Ex
-Brutal Doom's Hell on Earth Starter pack map. (Just the .wad contained inside, nothing else contained within the starter pack.)
We have done multiplayer testing many times. We make sure that vanilla (doom2) runs fine, and it does. However, this simple mod combination causes desyncs. I'm not exactly sure what caused it, but it had problems every time.

This is especially a problem when you have to restart the hosting multiple times over, because of "Waiting for X Y Z" and they never load in. From what I've heard you get a black screen when this happens. Game does not start. It's a random occurrence when starting a multiplayer match, and if not gone away within 10 seconds, it does not fix itself and the hosting must be restarted.

Extra info: latest version of gzdoom- 4.4.2, (compiled by linux),
Load order: hd-4.4.1a.pk7, (.wad)
antiswitcher

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Linux Multiplayer Desync

Postby Redneckerz » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:27 pm

Does the same error also occur in Zandronum?
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Rachael » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:54 pm

Redneckerz wrote:Does the same error also occur in Zandronum?

Considering the netcode is completely different - I'm really wondering what makes it relevant? Is there something you're thinking of that isn't obvious here?
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby drfrag » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:09 pm

That's not a desync, the game doesn't even start. Are you using symbolic links or the real wads?
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby Redneckerz » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:16 pm

Rachael wrote:
Redneckerz wrote:Does the same error also occur in Zandronum?

Considering the netcode is completely different - I'm really wondering what makes it relevant? Is there something you're thinking of that isn't obvious here?

I am thinking of the synchronization that's used with that those particular WADS and the amount of participants at play. Since this is GZDoom, i'd like to cancel out any and all issues regarding multiplayer by having a comparison with Zandro - Indeed wildly different NetCode, but also GZDoom based still.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Postby antiswitcher » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:36 am

OP here, to clarify things. Hideous destructor Does NOT have a zandro port. Also, the game would start with me, out of sync. I could shoot. The game was definitely started. Secondly, the issue with games unable to start due to "waiting for players x y z" Is a extremely persistent issue and occurs at least half the time on straight vanilla. In b4 "your internet sux"; I have fiber-optic internet, with 500mbs down and upload. This is not a connection speed issue.
antiswitcher

Postby antiswitcher » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:30 am

I tried to do some research. Symbolically linked? Not sure what that means. I had launched gzdoom from the command line, in the folder with the wads used. Others told me they had unzipped the mod file just as I had, no .zip, just .wad. Had to ask someone what it meant. No I didnt sym link my wad.
antiswitcher

Postby Redneckerz » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:11 pm

antiswitcher wrote:OP here, to clarify things. Hideous destructor Does NOT have a zandro port.

Sigh, i see now. Blame it on me processing the day after a party and not reading it fully. My bad, apologies.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Return to Bugs