[Localization] Chat issues with Korean

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

[Localization] Chat issues with Korean

Postby Undead » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:39 am

In the process of testing this Korean translation, I’ve discovered that writing the language’s characters does not work as intended. While the translation is no part of GZDoom, I thought to report it anyway as a general Unicode/CJK issue.

Korean works like this: all individual letters make up what are called syllable blocks that consists of anywhere from 2–4 letters. ㅅ and ㅏcan be combined to form 사, (“sa”). ㄹ + ㅏ + ㅁ can be combined to make 람 (“ram”). My colleagues have reported that individual Korean letters can be written in GZDoom without problems, but they cannot be combined to make syllable blocks. The letters end up scattered and separated like this:

Here is a short video demonstration of the issue. Whenever the user attempts to write combined letters, the chat simply doesn’t respond.

2019-03-20_23-30-03

I think this has to do with some kind of input issue. I was able to copy a Korean character into GZDoom just fine, but attempting to write it does not yield any successful results.
Last edited by Undead on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Undead

Re: [Localization] Chat issues with Korean

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:43 am

This would require actual intelligence of the input routine, which it plain and simply does not have. It is geared toward simple alphabetic input with no attempt to interpret the entered text. Furthermore I do not have the knowledge to implement this so you'll have to look elsewhere for help.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer

Return to Bugs