[Not a bug] [3.2.0] Nonbreaking spaces are silent but deadly

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

[3.2.0] Nonbreaking spaces are silent but deadly

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:35 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58129

The actors HandgunHot and ShotHot are unrecognized, and attempts to summon or give them give an error that no such actor exists.

Trying to copypaste the actor name along with the nonbreaking space before the colon doesn't work:
Code: Select allExpand view
summon HandgunHot 
gives me
Code: Select allExpand view
Unknown item "HandgunHot"
with the nonbreaking space removed.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: [3.2.0] Nonbreaking spaces are silent but deadly

Postby _mental_ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:57 am

The main problem here is usage of UTF-8 encoding. While it's fine to have arbitrary encoded comments code itself should be strictly in ASCII character set.
Unfortunately there is no notion of encoding for text lumps in GZDoom. And I don't think that silent assumption of UTF-8 (or any other) is a good idea.
_mental_

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:35 am

GZDoom does not parse UTF-8. The only text format it can currently read is ISO-8859-1. So yes, an UTF-8 encoded file with non breaking spaces will create a class name that does not contain a non-breaking space but the corresponding UTF-8 encoding.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby _mental_ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:24 am

Now I'm a bit confused.

Let's assume that we have DECORATE encoded in ISO 8859 with non-breaking space before/after class' name.
Did I got it right that the space character must be a part of the name? It is so at the moment but it looks like a bug to me.

If we use particular encoding and don't support any other I think we should treat 0xA0 character as a whitespace.
Of course it should be done only if there are no known issues with this.
_mental_

Postby JPL » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:01 am

If a fix isn't possible would an error message suffice? If I use a visible Unicode character it should be pretty obvious what my problem is, the fact that it's "silent but deadly" seems the worst aspect of this particular issue.
JPL

Postby _mental_ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:13 am

All characters from '\0' to ' ' (space) except '\n' (new line) are treated as whitespaces.
Other characters (non-breaking space or not) are handled like letters or numbers.
So any "problematic" characters are attached to an adjacent identifier.

Sorry but I have no idea what the error message you want to get in this case.
_mental_

Postby Gez » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:40 am

Looks like it's relatively easy to make an nbsp by mistake on Mac since the input code is just alt+space. (On Windows it's Alt+255, which makes it very hard to type unwittingly.)
Gez

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:13 am

This is 'can't fix' because the DECORATE parser has to go out of its way to allow the kinds of weird class names some people cooked up over all these years. It simply treats everything that isn't a space, newline, tab or ':' as part of the class name. ZScript uses strict identifier syntax where this cannot happen. Identifiers can only be 0..9, a..z and '_'.
Graf Zahl

Return to Closed Bugs