[puzzle/horror]Hunt the Doom Wumpus[WIP]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sir Robin
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

[puzzle/horror]Hunt the Doom Wumpus[WIP]

Post by Sir Robin »

Doom Slayer, your help is needed! A Doom Wumpus has appeared in our facility and is running amuck. We need a brave hunter to track it down and eliminate it. A Doom Wumpus can only be slain with a Wumpus Gun and it just so happens that we have a Wumpus gun here on premises for just such an occasion.
However there are a few hazards you may encounter on your hunt:
  1. The Wumpus itself: A Doom Wumpus is fearsome beast. Just standing in the same room with one would cause you to instantly shit your pants in fear and then die of embarrassment. Your main task is to determine which room the Wumpus is in, and then locate the Wumpus Gun and it's ammo, then fire it through the door leading to the Wumpus. Although, take care in selecting your target! Firing a Wumpus Gun into the correct room will defeat the Doom Wumpus, but firing into an incorrect room will alert the Doom Wumpus to your position. The Doom Wumpus would become enraged and hunt you down, and just the thought of this would cause you to shit your pants and die of embarrassment.
  2. Slime pits: You see, someone goofed and didn't conduct a proper geological survey before constructing this facility. Parts of the facility are built over a caustic slime river, and it has been eating away at the foundations of our buildings. If you step into a room that has been affected, you will likely fall through the weakened floor and into a slime pit. The nature of this slime will certainly cause you to shit your pants and die of embarrassment.
  3. Malfunctioning teleporters: We have been working here on teleporter technology, and unfortunately a few of them have been behaving badly. If you enter a room with a malfunctioning teleporter, it will teleport you to another random room. This may take you to another safer room where you will not be shitting your pants. However you may just as well be sent to another teleporter, into a slime pit, or directly into the path of the Wumpus itself. So the shitting of pants is not a certainty but it is a real possibility.
Each room has several doors leading to other rooms. If you pay attention you will find hints about hazards that will be in the next room, but not exactly which room. To know which hazards are in which rooms, you'll have to take note of which rooms you find clues in and use some deductive reasoning.

If you are ready to take on this challenge then you can start here.
This is technically a TC but for now it's using resources from DOOM2 and will need that iWad for game resources. The game can be played with Freedoom Phase 2, but some of the graphics are off because of a difference in sizes and offsets that I couldn't automatically compensate for.

If you like figuring out a puzzle without any help, then don't read this:
Spoiler: gameplay spoilers
Project Status Summary: Core gameplay is more or less complete and game is playable and winnable.
Spoiler: project status
Last edited by Sir Robin on Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ozymandias81
Discord: Ozymandias81#2768
Github ID: Ozymandias81
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Hunt the Doom Wumpus

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Ah a new project! Curious to see how it is, I will try it this weekend mostly... Luke will be happy to retrieve his saber again, yeah because Wampa sounds much as Wumpus, there should be an easteregg in this TC :D
Sir Robin

Post by Sir Robin »

Ozymandias81 wrote:Ah a new project! Curious to see how it is, I will try it this weekend mostly... Luke will be happy to retrieve his saber again, yeah because Wampa sounds much as Wumpus, there should be an easteregg in this TC :D
Have a look, tell me what you think. The Wumpus hunt engine is more or less done. I'd like to expand the maps to add more Doom elements - increase the sizes of the rooms so I can put small battles and reward pickups in them. My inspiration was two things:
First, Wumpus Hunt is a classic game that's been ported or rewritten on tons of different computers, and Doom is a classic game that's been ported or rewritten on tons of different computers, so why not write Wumpus to run in Doom?
Second, I played this Android game call Lovecraft Quest. It's a Wumpus Hunt with some extra puzzles thrown in and an HP Lovecraft theme all in a comic book / graphic novel art style. I like the way they blended all those things together so I'll try to do a similar blending with Wumpus and Doom. I want to add secrets, but they'll be in different locations every time you play, making them even more secret.

Speaking of secrets and Easter eggs, Wumpus does sound like Wampa, but what about Wacca? Did you find the Zanium mines in the UW maps yet? if not,
Spoiler:
Captain J

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Post by Captain J »

I'm learning about the OG game this mod's based on so far and it's quite interesting! Albeit you have to trust RNG after you open one of the mystery doors, it makes you think and face an unknown challenge that's way ahead of every survival horror game out there. So far i'm playing the practice mode and i can't get a single Wumpus. Got my gun and the ammo but nope. Can't fire it in front of a Womp and the message says it is not the right time to use it.

And it appears that i can save and load the game? But if i load the game it displays error messages and then it crashes back to the title screen.
Sir Robin

Post by Sir Robin »

Sorry, I never tested the load/save feature while designing it, I'll look into why that's not working.

You can't fight the Wumpus directly. If you are in the same room with the Wumpus, it is already too late. You can only defeat the Wumpus by shooting the Wumpus gun at the door leading to the room with the Wumpus in it.
It's true that each instance of the game is designed by the RNG, but the point isn't to hope for it randomly, but to use clues to either deduce the location, or find your highest probability for success and then try that.

Hint:
Spoiler:
Sir Robin

Post by Sir Robin »

I updated the first post.
Fixed the issue with save games. Also fixed some graphical issues with using freedoom2 instead of doom2.

Also added a spoiler to the first post showing how to read the map.
Ozymandias81
Discord: Ozymandias81#2768
Github ID: Ozymandias81
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Just played rapidly the thing, it is really an interesting project, though I must go deep through it to get it fully... I like how there are messages describing your surroundings about what's going on, guess the look feature used for your UW1 mod has prod some technical help here. I'll replay it soon and come with a better feedback in case, and regarding Zanium mines, ahah oh yes noticed it, there are even dots to chomp! Will be cute when the whole thing will be fully functional, have to say also for this mod too. Thanks again for the PM, very appreciate it.
wisezombiekiller
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by wisezombiekiller »

hey man, i don't know what's going on, but i can't seem to use the wumpus gun, it just seems to disappear when i pick it up. if I could get some help that'd be great
wisezombiekiller
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by wisezombiekiller »

okay, so i figured out if i run out of ammo, i can equip the wumpus gun, but that seems like the only way i can use it
Sir Robin

Post by Sir Robin »

A preview of what I'm working on for the next release:

Instead of playing the levels in order you start in a hub and can play any level in any order at any time.
Each level also has it's own scoreboard and scores are kept for each difficulty level.
The game keeps track of how many times you've tried a level and how many times you've won a level.
Each time you start the level counts as a try, but loading a saved game also counts as a try. If you want to get/keep a 100% win ratio, you have to beat the level without dying and without loading.
Sir Robin

Post by Sir Robin »

wisezombiekiller wrote:hey man, i don't know what's going on, but i can't seem to use the wumpus gun, it just seems to disappear when i pick it up. if I could get some help that'd be great
I might have forgot to give it a slot number, I'll check into that. Meanwhile turn on weapon auto-swapping
Sir Robin

Post by Sir Robin »

Update:
download

Fixed the gun - gave it a slot number
The hub is working. The map's not pretty, but it's just something I threw together for testing.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”