Doom: The Golden Souls Remastered - Download Now!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Doom: The Golden Souls Remastered - Download Now!

Postby Batandy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:55 pm

"Golden Souls not only somehow organically combined the action of Retro FPS with the whimsy of Classic Platformers, but has also set a high standard for that type of medium in which I desire to attempt to match myself with my own projects. It's a chance to go on a magical adventure while holding a shotgun- I couldn't imagine anything more beautiful than that." -Ultra64

--Remastering the past--

Project "Redemption" was inspired by the hub traveling shenaningans of Unloved and unconventional colorful scenarios of the first Serious Sam games as opposed to the usual dark n' gritty in shooters, with a sprinkle of all the things I loved about Nintendo.
That project then became Golden Souls, a humble little beginning for a small modder-wannabe.
After announcing the project I went to celebrate New Year's eve with my parents, I remember pulling the phone out from time to time and checking the comments on the forums, plenty of people were excited for this project and already started giving their input on it.
It was exciting, and it was only the beginning.

Through good times and bad times, Golden Souls has been a big part of my life for 8 years, and while the new games have become something even more unique, I still look back and think of those humble roots, that simple happy garden with the Golden Cacodemon running away from the player, the first Van Gogh inspired map that has become a staple of all my works and the quirky little drawings of Doomguy killing demons to save the day.

My intentions with this remaster are not only to improve on that foundation without betraying what was my vision back then for this project, but also provide an entry point for people that want to experience this mod for the first time and for the people that already played this adventure and want to experience it all over again with a fresh new coat of paint.

I hope you will all enjoy this good old adventure. - Andrea "Batandy" Gori

Features:

A completely revamped arsenal, as classic as it could be but smoother than ever!

Brand new HUD with Big Coin Tracking, Oxygen Meter!
New Garden Area with Salahmander's Super Golden Souls levels!

--Going Super--

"Golden Souls is one of a kind for Doom mods, there was so much passion put into the mod, it made the experience very rich, and given the care put into how Mario's influence can be implemented, it came out perfectly. The extra levels made was made to at least have the same feel as Golden Souls and needed the same love and polish as the maps in the main mod. As well as having fun playing Golden Souls, I also loved bringing new worlds to explore." -Salahmander

Download:
It is recommended to use the latest version of Gzdoom available
https://batandy.itch.io/goldensouls

What about the old vanilla Golden Souls?
Download for it is temporarily deactivated as I want to avoid any confusion regarding the download of this new Remastered, but don't worry! It will come back under the same page available as a "Legacy Edition"!

Credits:
Spoiler:
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Re: Doom: The Golden Souls Remastered - Download Now!

Postby Captain Ventris » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:53 pm

I’m so excited to dig into this. This is really awesome!
Captain Ventris
Buy my novel, “The Shadow Among The Stars” on Amazon or Itch.io!

Postby Randumb » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:01 pm

Awesome!!
Last edited by Randumb on Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randumb

Location: Somewhere randumb, but safe from those Terry-Traps.
Discord: Randumb#1150
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby ShockwaveS08 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:32 pm

Really enjoying Golden Souls Remastered so far! I do have a minor HUD suggestion though: is it possible to display your current inventory item at all times, instead of only when cycling through your items?
ShockwaveS08
Ripping and tearing on Android.

Discord: Shockwave_S08#0859
Github ID: ShockwaveS08

Postby kalensar » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:32 am

YES!!! Thank you!!!
kalensar
Castlevania 3 for Simons Destiny compiler. Rabid editor

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Batandy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:03 am

I have pushed a little hotfix version that addresses a Big Coin bug in Lucy in the Sky With coins that would prevent you from 100% completing the game.
This hotfix is not compatible with your savefiles, so if you're currently in a run, just keep playing with that version and be aware of this:
When you lower this platform to access the secret flying ship area, collect the big coin there. If you don't and exit it with the other teleporter, that area will lock itself up.
Batandy

Postby detwelve » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:29 pm

I'd loaded Golden Souls at some point in the past, but didn't finish it. This new release is just the excuse I need to go back through. I'm already a few hours in and it's fantastic! Thanks for putting this out there - it really nails the Doom X Nintendo feeling.
detwelve

Postby siealex » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Are there any big coins in Grassland? I can't find them.
siealex

Postby BigV140bpm » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:32 pm

Man thank you sooooo much for this mod, can't wait to play this rn
BigV140bpm

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Batandy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:24 am

siealex wrote:Are there any big coins in Grassland? I can't find them.

If the HUD doesn’t show it, there are no big coins.
Batandy

Postby Willytor » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:25 pm

Does anyone know where the third big coin in happy gardens is? ive gotten the one thats over the fence and the one you can find by crouching in a small hole when in side but i can't find the third one. Ive managed to find all the big coins in the 4 levels ive played so far except for that one
Willytor

Discord: Willytor#0833
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby ReformedJoe » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:21 pm

Willytor wrote:Does anyone know where the third big coin in happy gardens is? ive gotten the one thats over the fence and the one you can find by crouching in a small hole when in side but i can't find the third one. Ive managed to find all the big coins in the 4 levels ive played so far except for that one

Spoiler:
ReformedJoe

Postby siealex » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:59 pm

Jolly Jungle: the pit here is inescapable, but not deadly. Is it by design?
2972.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
siealex

Postby Scuba Steve » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:03 pm

I really hate the delay when firing the revolver... it's almost a half-second from pressing fire to the weapon firing the hitscan. I don't recall the original Golden Souls having this.
Scuba Steve

Postby QuakedoomNukem Cz » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:48 am

Scuba Steve wrote:I really hate the delay when firing the revolver... it's almost a half-second from pressing fire to the weapon firing the hitscan. I don't recall the original Golden Souls having this.

The original revolver was also really weak, it's to sell the point that, you know, it's a damn revolver, which is meant to pack a punch. If it didn't have the windup, it would be way too over powered.
QuakedoomNukem Cz
Grammar Nazi and Graphics Whore with a kind heart.

Discord: #2091

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects