DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

Postby Joblez_I » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:50 pm

Dead Men Tell No Tales is a (sort of?) total conversion mod that tells the tale of a Man kidnapped by a cult. It's only 3 levels long and as such
I say "sort of" total conversion mod. Made in a month for Benpaste's 2020 Doom modding competition, it won first place.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LeOdoUmlRuWdarkrXDBT7FuEQ2mjU-qv/view?usp=sharing DOWNLOAD THE MOD HERE

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLai7R1DjNkhNhHRclL5xZXGNmKnsGCIFg LINK TO THE MOD'S OST (I composed it myself)
Requires Gzdoom 4.0 or higher to run.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Backstory:
Spoiler:

Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Joblez_I on Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
Joblez_I
Spritin'

Discord: Joblez#3282
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

Postby SLON » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:00 pm

One bug finded

SLON

Postby Toyoch » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:19 pm

Done on Hardest difficulty. It was short but its atmosphere and musics were great!
Toyoch

Postby StroggVorbis » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:54 am

I have two complaints.

One, the assault rifle can't be tap fired fast. Maybe that's intentional.

Two, the mod ends too soon :D
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Discord: StroggVorbis#2466
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Joblez_I » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:34 pm

StroggVorbis wrote:I have two complaints.

One, the assault rifle can't be tap fired fast. Maybe that's intentional.

Two, the mod ends too soon :D

Yeah, I had rushed the ending a bit because of the due date, this whole mod was made in about a month for a wad contest and I only had about 2 days before the due date to get the ending made. It's a bit unfortunate, but time constraints can do that, I hope you enjoyed the mod regardless :)
Joblez_I
Spritin'

Postby yaboi » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:11 am

fantastic little mod, very creepy atmosphere, would love to see a sequel!
yaboi

Postby Dreingon » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:50 am

Here i was browsing ZDoom Forums on a really nice day with the sun shining and i found one fucking amazing total conversion. I loved this mod and i hope there will be a expansion maybe ?
Dreingon

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Ferretmanjcdenton » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:50 am

Hi There ..thanks a lot for your amazing mod ..
I'd really love to get a dlc for that ..

https://youtu.be/jSiseEQbuec

Also here is a short video showcase .. Maybe you like it ..
Ferretmanjcdenton

Discord: https://discord.gg/hRm8w97
Operating System: Other Linux ARM/PPC/etc
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Postby CurtisTheDoc » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:05 pm

You made this in a month? Well, color me easily impressed. For 3 levels only, the amount of detail that I see went into this is very impressive.
I hope more people see this!
CurtisTheDoc

Discord: Curtis#1970

Postby ZDL_800 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:22 pm

The music playlist you linked is Badass! Quality stuff.

Downloading! Cant wait to fire this up!

Many thanks.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Postby Rex705 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:16 am

Very cool and atmospheric maps. I can see how this won first place well done. A sequel would be fun.

Rex705

Discord: Rex705
Twitch ID: Rex705

Postby Joblez_I » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:02 pm

t
Last edited by Joblez_I on Sun May 09, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joblez_I
Spritin'

Postby Bigbad75 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:47 pm

You can kill the squirrel's this is the best doom mod ever made
Bigbad75

Discord: 2142
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Captain J » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:31 pm

Very impressive and exciting TC. The weapons are very satisfying to use and it has story even. I do really hope you're working on this TC because i think it has potential to be much greater! But you're the boss.
Spoiler: And here are some feedback
This TC is very smooth, solid and really original! Weapon sound effects and animations are top notch as well. It's so satisfying that i really want to play this as weapon mod, if it's possible!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Joblez_I » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:36 am

Captain J wrote:Very impressive and exciting TC. The weapons are very satisfying to use and it has story even. I do really hope you're working on this TC because i think it has potential to be much greater! But you're the boss.
Spoiler: And here are some feedback
This TC is very smooth, solid and really original! Weapon sound effects and animations are top notch as well. It's so satisfying that i really want to play this as weapon mod, if it's possible!

i appreciate the amount of detail you've put into this post! a lot of the weird, little inconsistencies were due to time constraints. since this mod was made in a month and i worked on it until the last day i had, not all of the issues with the mod have been solved. as well as this, i really feel like i didn't flesh out and use most of the enemies to their full potential, and so i think some enemies are a little overrepresented, like the spellcaster enemy you mentioned, and others that are underrepresented, like the hellknight statue or the machinegun cultists.

originally, the revolver was going to be your first weapon before i decided against it. the slow firing speed made it unfun to use, so i went on to make the pistol instead. the truth is that i didn't really balance it as well as i should, and i do agree the revolver could either be buffed or made to shoot faster. the original idea for it was that, by design, you're not really meant to use it after you get the shotgun, since it's a weapon i wasn't sure how to implement in the balance; honestly it's just not well balanced, and in retrospect, i'd change it.

some of the weapon quirks were on purpose (i like the fact the shotgun always dispenses a casing, it was supposed to be akin to the shotgun in COD MW1). in retrospect though, i think my decision to change the magazine size on the m16 to be 50 was due to some criticisms of naku-naru's weapons, being you'd have to reload so quickly that it made using some of the weapons less fun than they could be in that mod, and making sure the same couldn't be said of the m16 in this. this really wasn't a good concern to try to address i think in this because it's designed differently enough to the original doom this becomes a problem. looking at it now, i'd probably lower the magazine count a bit since it really made the m16 become the workhorse weapon over the shotgun, which i don't think makes it balanced since the idea is to use them both equally for different encounters.

as for that strange map glitch in level 2, i'm still not really sure what causes that in the architecture. there must be some conflicting lines there to cause that.

i think, at some point in time, i'd like to patch and maybe expand the mod a little. i don't currently have the intent to add any new levels (really, i feel like dead men tell no tales works as a short game because it's a short story), but i'd like to fix a lot of these little issues the mod has.
Joblez_I
Spritin'

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects