The City of the Damned : Apocalypse | Remaster | Dev

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

The City of the Damned : Apocalypse | Remaster | Dev

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:41 am

After the first release of a long remaster series has been done, the next project planned its successor, The City of the Damned : Apocalypse. Right now I am concentrating on fixing and improving bugs and situations as well as the map flow, but also taking care of things that I wanted to do in the past (according to the vision I had for this project) but wasn't able to realise. When finished, the second part of the TCotD series will be worth a second visit, that's what I can promise right now. If you have suggestions, ideas and recommendations regarding the old version, let me know, I am happy to implement these if reasonable and fitting to the overall experience :)

Screenshots

Changelog
Spoiler: Changes for RC1

Download
Original release from 2007 (v1.12): https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/d ... apocalypse
Release candidate 1 from 2020: tba
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Re: The City of the Damned : Apocalypse | Remaster | Dev

Postby Nash » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:26 am

YES! My favourite TCotD! Say, I heard you need a final boss redesign? I might be convinced to provide a full original sprite set wink wink. ;)
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Solid-Head » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:00 am

Look fantastic !

Out of curiosity, will you plan to update or change the siren mechanic ?
Solid-Head

Postby SiFi270 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:09 am

I remember you asking in the other thread if anyone had any suggestions for better revolver sprites. Mike12 made some real good ones.
SiFi270

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:27 am

Nash wrote:YES! My favourite TCotD! Say, I heard you need a final boss redesign? I might be convinced to provide a full original sprite set wink wink. ;)

Thanks for that offer Nash, I'd be more than open for an original replacement, even more if it is the usual quality that I know from you :) That would be really awesome indeed. Maybe even a fitting behaviour for the final boss battle... I heard you are a reasonably good coder as well wink wink ;)

Solid-Head wrote:Look fantastic! Out of curiosity, will you plan to update or change the siren mechanic?

Currently not yet, do you think it needs an overhaul?

SiFi270 wrote:I remember you asking in the other thread if anyone had any suggestions for better revolver sprites. Mike12 made some real good ones.

Thanks for the hint, it's indeed much better than what we have now. Expect this to be added :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Nash » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:34 am

No promises, hehe. I am currently in progress finishing up several paid commissions, so those take priority. I'll need to play through this mod again though, it's been years since I last played it, hopefully it runs without errors on the latest GZ 4.3.3. If I were to work on this mod, I should re-familiarize myself with it first.
Nash

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:19 pm

Well, to make it easier for you to re-familiarize, I have just uploaded a first beta of TCotD2 to Mediafire. We (Ozymandias81 and I) have already done a huge amount of improvements that makes the mod more interesting to be played. It's not bugfree but it's a start :)

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/otjy9u8e ... a.zip/file
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Vostyok » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:31 pm

I'm happy to hear of the changes to doors/silent teleport lines. I always found the originals slightly un-immersive (I know that's not a real word, why does English lack this particular meaning...)
Especially considering the atmosphere of the rest of the environment. I'm tempted to download the beta but I don't want to spoil it yet, as I would like to enjoy the full release as a dedicated marathon.

Very happy to see this update. :D
Vostyok
Free Radical

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby Clownman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:07 pm

I always wanted to see some sort of remaster/remake of this, The weapons in the original version of this mod were particularly what always kept bugging me.

Also, I think you finally answered the longtime question I had wether or not this was supposed to be set in the Blood Universe or if the player was supposed to be Caleb.
Clownman
I'm not gonna fight you... I'm gonna kick your ass.

Postby Nash » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:56 pm

Yeah, the weapons are quite lacking in the punch department. I have a few ideas on how they can be improved but I'm not sure if it's too drastic and may not be what fans of the original would enjoy.
Nash

Postby Nash » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:33 am

Alright, sorry to say but initial tests aren't so good.

With literally nothing else loaded (-noautoload), I am getting frame rate drops with the remaster. Just by standing at the campfire at the start (where the revolver is), I am losing a lot of framerates.

With original 2007, there's no such problems.

And I have a BEEFY rig too!

Intel i7 8700 @ 3.2 GHz
16 GB DDR4
nvidia RTX 2080
144hz display (so max FPS is 144)
All SSD drives for OS and games

What did you do? :D
Nash

Postby Tesculpture » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:34 am

If I could make a suggestion; I always found the price of not reaching a shelter when the alarm sounds...

Spoiler: contains spoilers about the plot for those who haven't played before
Tesculpture

Postby Nash » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:01 am

Starting spot with 1 quick turn, remaster:

Starting spot with 1 quick turn, 2007:

1849 628 with 1 quick turn, remaster:

1849 628 with 1 quick turn, 2007:

Obvious difference here is the think time. Actor spam?

It's not just these 2 spots though, I am getting overall framerate drops all over the map.
Nash

Postby Ozymandias81 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:43 pm

I guess the problem is related to advanced portals, I only added distancecheck to fire effects so it should be even improved... I'll take a look to that tomorrow, or later tonight.
Ozymandias81
Doom is a State of Mind... Out of Control.

Github ID: Ozymandias81
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Nash » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:54 pm

Yeah, from a look at the report given by "profilethinkers 7" - the highest think times don't look like they actually come from any live actors. My first suspect was the fire and snow actors, but it doesn't seem like it after all.
Nash

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects