SHRINE - A Total Conversion Mod for Doom 2

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

SHRINE - A Total Conversion Mod for Doom 2

Postby scumhead » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Shrine is a total conversion mod for Doom 2 set in a Lovecraftian inspired world. Battle new demons with new weapons, while exploring ancient cathedrals and eldritch worlds from the dark beyond.

8 New Weapons to rampage your way through the Elder World
13 Enemies to Blast into giblets
16 challenging but fair levels to test your might against the eldritch Horde
Completely custom assets, textures and Sounds!

Shrine is out now! Download here:

Version 1.3
Moddb: https://www.moddb.com/mods/shrine/downloads/shrine-12#downloadsform
Drive: https://www.moddb.com/mods/shrine/downloads/shrine-13#downloadsform

Big thanks to QuakedoomNukem for help with the mod!

-Made for use with Gzdoom.

-You should have Jump enabled.

-Iwad is DOOM II

For more information: https://twitter.com/Scumhead1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by scumhead on Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
scumhead

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: SHRINE - A Total Conversion Mod for Doom 2

Postby MrRumbleRoses » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:29 pm

oh wow
MrRumbleRoses

Postby skdursh » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Looks like it's going to be really good judging by all the screenies on your Twitter. Definitely has an above average art aesthetic for this sort of thing. How long has this been in production for? If the gameplay holds up I could definitely see this being a last minute entry for the Cacowards this year.
skdursh

Postby scumhead » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:23 pm

skdursh wrote:Looks like it's going to be really good judging by all the screenies on your Twitter. Definitely has an above average art aesthetic for this sort of thing. How long has this been in production for? If the gameplay holds up I could definitely see this being a last minute entry for the Cacowards this year.

I've been working on it for about 8-12 hours a day for since October the 14th! And I hope it holds up, It's my first wad but I've really given it my all. Thank you so much!
scumhead

Postby elCreyo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:05 am

Looks cool. I will wait for this.
elCreyo
elAnimator

Discord: elcreyo#3831
Twitch ID: elcreyo

Postby Valken » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:23 am

Looking forward to this!
Valken

Postby Jarewill » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:03 am

Oh, this looks very nice indeed.
Can't wait to try it out. ;)

Edit: I gave it a try and it's pretty nice so far.
The only real issue I have with it is the fact that shotgun is on slot 8 instead of slot 3.
I don't know if there's any weapon on slot 3, but the weapons I have right now are very far apart from each other.
Bone saw on slot 1, pistol on slot 2, some gun I haven't tried yet on slot 6 and the shotgun on slot 8 (I'm not sure if it's 8 or 7 or 9 as I ran out of ammo for it and can't select it, but it's somewhere there.)
I'm just so used to a shotgun being on slot 3 and pressing 8 is quite problematic at times, especially when I want to quickly switch to the shotgun.
And another thing I dislike a bit is the weapon placement mismatch.
I just find it really annoying for my eyes when I see a centered pistol and an angled shotgun.
But it's just me and aside these factors, the TC is pretty good.
Jarewill

Postby Redead-ITA » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:15 am

Gave it a play (medium difficulty) and ooh boy there is something: for me it basicly condems in this "it is my first attempt on a tc and i put a lot of effort on it... except i am not a coder"
Now to give a quick review id say i would give this a solid 7/10 but i should probably note the cons of the tc first (spoilers ahead):
Spoiler: cons

Spoiler: pros

overall even if it doesn't have many pros but it wasn't as bad to drive me to frustration, you can defenetly improve though (and preferably try to make the enemies less op?)
Redead-ITA
I suck at H posing

Postby Rachael » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:31 am

This is some really good work. I especially like the music and the art style here. It feels like a whole different world.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby scumhead » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:47 pm

Redead-ITA wrote:Gave it a play (medium difficulty) and ooh boy there is something: for me it basicly condems in this "it is my first attempt on a tc and i put a lot of effort on it... except i am not a coder"
Now to give a quick review id say i would give this a solid 7/10 but i should probably note the cons of the tc first (:
)

Thank you! Yeah, I'm not a coder but I'm going to be working hard to make sure my next tc is a lot more custom/ original. Not relying so heavily on realm667 assets. I really appreciate ya taking the time to critique the project and I'll be taking these into consideration for whatever's next. Thank you for playing!
scumhead

Postby Redead-ITA » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:56 pm

scumhead wrote:Thank you! Yeah, I'm not a coder but I'm going to be working hard to make sure my next tc is a lot more custom/ original. Not relying so heavily on realm667 assets. I really appreciate ya taking the time to critique the project and I'll be taking these into consideration for whatever's next. Thank you for playing!

I am at least glad you are gonna look into it!
il definitely look forward for the new tc when it will arrive!
Redead-ITA
I suck at H posing

Postby Roasterock » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:54 pm

This is some wonderful art here that, even in a community that's constantly pushing art as a medium in its mods, still stands out. The fact that the majority of the levels are such a drab gray makes all the vulgar reds and vibrant greens pop. It's easily the best part of the mod. The weapons are impactful, but it was easy to recognize how many of them were based on Realm 667 actors, if only because I was so familiar with them. I didn't have Freelook on, and the Eldritch Annihilator didn't have any autoaim capability on it, making it useless on anything that didn't fly. The Splinter takes way too long to spin down in comparison to how many enemies are in most rooms. Ammo was also pretty confusing, and it took me half of the set to realize that the Annihilator and Leviathan shared an ammo pool, as the ammo pickups made it seem like that all the weapons had their own ammo pool.
The enemies all look great, with the same Realm recognition as the weapons, even though some of pieces left over look weird on the enemies, such as the Dreadnought dropping a Superdemon arm on death. I don't know if any changes to their GLDEFS were included either, since the Deacon's projectiles are a different color than their light.
Spoiler:

Despite that, I'm still thrilled by what I've seen. For not being a coder, this is absolutely a step in the right direction, and is something that so many people here would love to help you with.
Roasterock

Postby Redneckerz » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:08 pm

This needs more love.

Why? Because its a TC that looks like its own game. And whilst we have many TC's, not many TC's have their own ''look''.
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Rex705 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:44 am

Shrine is awesome I have been playing it on Youtube. :D

Rex705

Discord: Rex705
Twitch ID: Rex705

Postby wolfmanfp » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:27 am

I found this today on Steam, it's available here for free:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271050/Shrine/
wolfmanfp

Discord: wolfmanfp#5234
Twitch ID: wolfmanfp
Github ID: wolfmanfp

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects