Darkmoon (2019 alpha)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DMPhobos

Darkmoon (2019 alpha)

Post by DMPhobos »

Looks like you're stuck on the shores of hell.... and the only way out is through!

Hello!

Darkmoon is a modern interpretation of doom's original shores of hell episode, heavily inspired by doom 3, doom 64 and psx doom, taking place on deimos, it aims to be a more serious and semi realistic doom mod, without sacrificing the fast paced gameplay we all know and love from doom. It also aims to be a replayable mod, every map has 2 different exits meaning each playthrough will lead you thru a different set of map, A few weeks ago me and my friend Zok released a public alpha for our project darkmoon, but we didn't posted here, sorry, we had meant to do that since we first teased the proyect here a long time ago!

Currently this is an alpha so its bound to be full of nasty bugs here and there, difficulties haven't been implemented on most maps, and there's a lot of stuff that is gonna get changed, but we welcome any feedback about the project

Here's some screenshots
Spoiler:
Download!

Here's a sanitized, mod friendly version (courtesy of Caligari87)

Resource credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by DMPhobos on Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tormentor667

Re: Darkmoon (2019 alpha)

Post by Tormentor667 »

This looks very atmospheric
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

I'm really glad this project is still alive!! I remember I played the very first beta back in 2007. That looks like an eternity!!
Gonna try it right now :D looks very promising!!
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I've really digging the look! And anything that aims for "more serious and semi realistic" is a plus in my book.

Just curious, will you be using custom monsters and gameplay tweaks, or will it be gameplay-mod compatible (and/or have a "sanitized" version)?

EDIT: O hay there's a download link, I can just check it out later lol. Thought you were just announcing development. Can't wait to try it out!

8-)
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Really digging the dark lighting. :)
DMPhobos

Post by DMPhobos »

Caligari87 wrote: Just curious, will you be using custom monsters and gameplay tweaks, or will it be gameplay-mod compatible (and/or have a "sanitized" version)?
It does uses a lot of custom monsters and weapons! (it tweaks the original monsters too), but there's plans for a 'sanitized' version to keep gamplay mod compatibility once we get close to the final release
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

Digging the aesthetic in those screenshots. I'll make a note of giving the alpha a spin. c:
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

This looks really good. I love the more realistic designed maps. I love the combo of Doom 3 and Doom 64. The lighting is really good and helps with the creepy atmosphere. I love the idea of different exits to different maps for replayability that's something I would do if I was a mapper.

I made a video of the first map. Youtubes rendering hates darkness >_<

Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Also made a gameplay video, along with a little treat!

I wanted to play this with Hideous Destructor, so I took some time and made a "sanitized" version myself. Checked with DMPhobos and they're cool with it, so here it is for anyone that wants to play with gameplay mods:
Darkmoon (alpha july 2019) Sanitized.

And here's my gameplay, beating MAP01 on "spooky" difficuly with no deaths, no saves, no failures.

8-)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yoooo why is the community sleeping on this map set?! This is fucking gorgeous. The lighting on these maps is AMAZING. Good work!
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

I'm having a lot of fun with this mapset so far.
DMPhobos

Post by DMPhobos »

Thank you all for your comments, i've updated the post with Caligari87's version (once again, thank you!) for those who would like to try the maps with another gameplay mod, but we encourage everyone to try the original version and let us know if there's any feedback
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I'mma gonna have to try this out soon. Love moody looking projects.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

One bit of general feedback I did have, actually: The lighting contrast.

Overall, things are well-lit but there's not a lot of variation. I used DarkDoomZ to bump the contrast on my playthrough (see video) to get a more pleasing visual experience. There's a lot of detail but it all kind of blends together because there's a lot of mid-dark grey textures and the lighting seems very limited in range, like nothing is ever "very dark" or "very bright".

Aesthetically the maps are still gorgeous, don't get me wrong. Just my opinion that there could be a little more lighting contrast.

8-)
AL-97

Post by AL-97 »

I agree with the comment above. It almost feels monochrome at times.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”