Splatterhouse 3D TC - 3 Episodes!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Splatterhouse 3D TC - 3 Episodes!

Post by ImpieTwo »

Grab it heer

EDIT: First draft of the full game is finished. Two 6-map episodes, each based on the first two games in the Splatterhouse franchise, which I consider to be the complete story of Rick, Jenny, and a terrible Mayan artifact.

Music from the demo version was removed because it was repetitive and the game is scarier without it. Don't forget to adjust brightness settings as instructed: "This mod should be dripping with foreboding atmosphere. For the best horror experience, change your OpenGL preferences under “Display Options”: drop “ambient lighting” to its lowest setting, and switch to “Dark” sector light mode."

EDIT 12/26/19: Third episode added. It's a bit of a mixed bag, but has some cool new stuff and a bunch of minor fixes to the preexisting assets.

Last edited by ImpieTwo on Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zen3001

Re: Splatterhouse 3D - Episode 1

Post by Zen3001 »

feels like blood
jablon1000

Post by jablon1000 »

Nice mod, levels and enemies is superb but shotty and chainsaw is lame comparing to bat witch is best imo. More healing item will also be fine.
scissorman1985

Post by scissorman1985 »

I'm a huge Splatterhouse fan. I hope you finish this.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

jablon1000 wrote:Nice mod, levels and enemies is superb but shotty and chainsaw is lame comparing to bat witch is best imo.
The bat doesn't let you gib zombies or kill multiple enemies at once, though.

EDIT: Fixed a bug where the eating machine becomes permanently invulnerable (i think).

EDIT2: Dammit, and another mistake where an E2 boss appears in E1, which wasn't supposed to happen. Fixed.
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

Oh man, so glad you're revisiting this!
Kyotra

Post by Kyotra »

I get that the darkness is for atmosphere, but it really sucks when you can barely make things out two inches from your nose. Splatterhouse horrifies using its gory, grotesque aesthetic, not by hiding things in shadow.
scissorman1985

Post by scissorman1985 »

I gotta say; it was fricking genius to use that music stinger from Night of the Living Dead every time a zombie revives.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Kyotra wrote:I get that the darkness is for atmosphere, but it really sucks when you can barely make things out two inches from your nose. Splatterhouse horrifies using its gory, grotesque aesthetic, not by hiding things in shadow.
During level construction I tried making a few areas near pitch black where you might bump into something in the dark, and found I was in constant freakout mode 'til I got out of there. That's basically why I did it. Imagine if you're the one exploring a forgotten dungeon under an old house that has things lurking in it: the lighting would be terrible, and you'd dread any shadow that might hide who knows how many critters.
scissorman1985 wrote:I gotta say; it was fricking genius to use that music stinger from Night of the Living Dead every time a zombie revives.
That stinger scares the shit out of me, so it seemed perfect.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Just played through this and thought it was great. Thematically quite different to other Doom mods I've played. It does have a scary feel, in a strangely almost funny kind of way, and definitely creepy.

Anyway, feedback:

I noticed that the chainsaw has no animation whilst idle. Intentional or a bug?

You can pick up stamina and will (health and armour) even when they are maxed out. I imagine this is intentional, but considering the damage that the monsters do, it is a pain if you've accidentally picked them up already.

The player character model only seems to have one animation, a kick. Do you plan to add in other sprites and/or animations, to show the player holding other weapons and such, considering there are quite a few mirrors and such?

I take it that jumping is required, as one time I was in an area where I had to jump to get out, and some pickups only seemed reachable if you jump.

With the latest GZDoom, within the OpenGL preferences under “Display Options” I set it to the Dark sector light mode, but there is no setting for ambient lighting. I found these threads about it:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=57864
https://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=7598
Am I missing something, maybe? The mod never seemed too dark, so I'm not sure I experienced it quite how you intended.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Now I get to chop-sockey those bastards in full 3D! :twisted:
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Korell wrote: With the latest GZDoom, within the OpenGL preferences under “Display Options” I set it to the Dark sector light mode, but there is no setting for ambient lighting. I found these threads about it:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=57864
https://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=7598
Am I missing something, maybe? The mod never seemed too dark, so I'm not sure I experienced it quite how you intended.
It must be a gzdoom thing cos I haven't found it for the past few updates, either...

Also yeah, you need jumping enabled, since jumping was also a thing in the og games.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Oh, many doors seem to be silent. Is this intentional?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Korell wrote:Oh, many doors seem to be silent. Is this intentional?
I could never figure out how to make the sound work for them, so I left 'em silent and remain grateful that they at least function properly.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

ImpieTwo wrote:
Korell wrote:Oh, many doors seem to be silent. Is this intentional?
I could never figure out how to make the sound work for them, so I left 'em silent and remain grateful that they at least function properly.
Basically you define you custom sound in SNDINFO and set the sequence in SNDSEQ (Example:)

Code: Select all

:MovingDoor 
   playuntildone	DOORENT
   door 1
end
Then you just put the assigned number in the Polyobject's start line sound number and it will play

I've played three levels of this and i really like it, it's a nice adaptation of a classic.
Still, there are some things i'd change, first of all the baseball bat fires a single hitscan which makes it quite hard to aim, you should consider changing it to improve the range (make it spawn an invisible actor which acts as a hitbox), and i'd also replace every other doom stock actor to give it a full TC feel.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”