Touhou Doom - Episode 3.66 (Updated Re-Release)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Touhou Doom - Episode 3.66 (Updated Re-Release)

Postby Untitled » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:39 pm


TOUHOU DOOM
Hell on Gensokyo
Spoiler: What is this

Image

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdiyfsexm74np ... 6.pk3?dl=1

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/fsseG

Mr. Icarus also made a review of Touhou Doom, and it's really good (the review, that is), though it's for an older version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e02by6SMsVM

WHAT YOU WILL FIND:
-Difficulty settings that actually affect what the bosses use!
-Bosses, with spell cards!
-Lots and lots and lots of danmaku, of course.
-Weapons...?
-22 maps (MAP01 to MAP20 + MAP31 and MAP32)
-CVars to help the game experience: touhou_skipcutscenes and touhou_doomweapons!
-The first three episodes:
    1. The Incident
    2. Hell of Blazing Fires
    3. Welcome to the Gensokyo Tour
WHAT YOU WILL NOT FIND:
-MAP21 to MAP30, as Episode IV (A New, Pristine Hell) still isn't finished.
Spoiler: Credits

EPISODE IV TO-DO LIST: More for my sake than anything else, but here's the list, in the order that I'm doing them in:
Spoiler: To-do List


If you wish to discuss the mod more personally, I can be found on Discord: wrsw#0132, also found in channels ZDoom [Official], ICARUSLIV3S and Doominati.
Last edited by Untitled on Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 54 times in total.
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

Re: Touhou Doom - Yes, this is real (and 3/4ths done)!

Postby jckfrbn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:58 pm

Your download link seems to be dead
User avatar
jckfrbn
 
Joined: 18 Jul 2016

Re: Touhou Doom - Yes, this is real (and 3/4ths done)!

Postby Untitled » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:03 pm

jckfrbn wrote:Your download link seems to be dead


Fixed, I had to take the link down and re-put it back up - it's online now!
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

Re: Touhou Doom - Yes, this is real (and 3/4ths done)!

Postby insightguy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:46 am

Is this the one that term13 streamed with demonsteele or is this another version?
User avatar
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^
Banned User
 
Joined: 23 Mar 2011

Re: Touhou Doom - Yes, this is real (and 3/4ths done)!

Postby Untitled » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:05 am

insightguy wrote:Is this the one that term13 streamed with demonsteele or is this another version?


Not the same at all - this new version of Touhou Doom is a 'Take 2' for that version; because I thought that a Touhou Doom could actually be possibly not bad.

It ended up rehauling literally everything, so yeah, this is a thing now.

EDIT: In fact, I only gave the mod its own thread because at this point the mod is basically almost entirely re-hauled.
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

Re: Touhou Doom - Yes, this is real (and 3/4ths done)!

Postby KeksDose » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Was happy for this mod to be released on Cirno Day of all things. What I didn't expect was Koishi Hell: Doom Edition with Shotgun DLC. °^°

This is a lot of fun. I cleared E1 on Lunatic, Flan and E2 on Normal so far. It feels kinda weird to see no health bar or timer. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm hitting bosses (vibration sound upon hitting enemies is not there, or the position indicator for bosses). However, Doomguy's fat hitbox being offset with health points works surprisingly well. I also like how certain spell cards go full 3D, like Kagome Kagome and Diamond Blizzard.

Some bosses are easily cheesed. In particular, you can avoid Mei Ling's Rainbow Wind Chime by standing on a hill, almost completely avoid Patchi's Royal Flare by running up to her and any of Remi's RNG "bullets move into random directions" walls by alternating between standing on her throne and on level with her.

Was waiting for meow in Satori's stage. Meow was never delivered. :(

It would be neat if Mei Ling's rainbow attacks actually had the rainbow colour pattern to them instead of a rainbow gradient on each bullet like in EoSD.

The second extra stage is a masterpiece.

I'll definitely play E3 and try to clear E2 on Lunatic as well. :p
User avatar
KeksDose
Hmhmhm!
 
Joined: 05 Jul 2007
Location: Might wait forever

Re: Touhou Doom - Yes, this is real (and 3/4ths done)!

Postby Untitled » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:47 pm

KeksDose wrote:Was happy for this mod to be released on Cirno Day of all things. What I didn't expect was Koishi Hell: Doom Edition with Shotgun DLC. °^°

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah Koishi's entire battle is kind of, well,
Spoiler:

KeksDose wrote:This is a lot of fun. I cleared E1 on Lunatic, Flan and E2 on Normal so far. It feels kinda weird to see no health bar or timer. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm hitting bosses (vibration sound upon hitting enemies is not there, or the position indicator for bosses).

In order:
1. Lack of health bar is pure laziness on my part, though part of it is that Touhou Lifebars are weird; especially with any time there's more than one spellcard in a single lifebar, and that's kind of a pain to work out.
2. Timer is again laziness, though now that you mention it, I don't think it'd be that hard to implement it...
3. I actually really want to do the vibration sound; the only issue is that the only thing I have access to as far as monster-reaction sounds go is the pain-state (which would interrupt attacks, which I do not want), and I really don't want to have to modify every single projectile the player can fire.
4. The position indicator isn't really a thing as you can aim directly at a boss, circumventing the need for good placement to hurt them.
KeksDose wrote:However, Doomguy's fat hitbox being offset with health points works surprisingly well. I also like how certain spell cards go full 3D, like Kagome Kagome and Diamond Blizzard.

About 30% of the reason for this mod's existence is visual spectacle, so yeah, pretty much.
KeksDose wrote:Some bosses are easily cheesed. In particular, you can avoid Mei Ling's Rainbow Wind Chime by standing on a hill, almost completely avoid Patchi's Royal Flare by running up to her and any of Remi's RNG "bullets move into random directions" walls by alternating between standing on her throne and on level with her.

In order:
1. Meiling's Rainbow Wind Chime suffers from the fact that it's not actually aimed at you - which means it, by definition, cannot readjust its aim depending the player position. There is a reason that every single boss arena with a couple of exceptions is a 100% flat, featureless box - about 50% of the patterns in Touhou Doom completely fizzle if a vertical element is thrown in.
2. God damn it how did I miss that
3. See point 1 of this list.
KeksDose wrote:Was waiting for meow in Satori's stage. Meow was never delivered. :(

It felt dishonest to throw the meow sound in there without Midboss Orin, and I'm not putting Midboss Orin in there because ahahahahahahaha
KeksDose wrote:It would be neat if Mei Ling's rainbow attacks actually had the rainbow colour pattern to them instead of a rainbow gradient on each bullet like in EoSD.

Again, that's mostly laziness on my part.
KeksDose wrote:The second extra stage is a masterpiece.

HEH
KeksDose wrote:I'll definitely play E3 and try to clear E2 on Lunatic as well. :p

If you're a Touhou fan, I think you'll probably get a good kick out of E3.
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

Re: Touhou Doom - Yes, this is real (and 3/4ths done)!

Postby Untitled » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 pm

EDIT: Re-Download the file, it turns out I never tested Easy Mode: MAP18 couldn't actually be finished on easy mode, embarrassingly enough, and it was also missing a megasphere, making it far harder than intended on easier difficulties (I'd say it was on normal than lunatic).

Both of these are fixed.
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby insightguy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:26 am

from finishing it, the last boss is a complete pushover to the point where i killed him without even moving. his painstate is abusable to no end.
User avatar
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^
Banned User
 
Joined: 23 Mar 2011

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby Untitled » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:20 am

insightguy wrote:from finishing it, the last boss is a complete pushover to the point where i killed him without even moving. his painstate is abusable to no end.


First off, there's no 'He's' in the game (I'm pedantic), and sorry but /which/ final boss? Episode I? Episode II? Episode III? Does this include Extra Bosses?

EDIT: It's also worth noting that Episode IV (MAP21 to MAP30) isn't actually finished yet, so don't warp to those maps - there's nothing there!

(and also sorry but if you claim to beat Reimu without moving I'll calling total bull because her entire fight conspires to make that 5000% not possible, especially on Hard or Lunatic)
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby ArchXeno » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 am

Seriously enjoying this, which Touhou game(s) are the bosses from?
ArchXeno
 
Joined: 09 Jan 2010

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby dard22 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm really enjoy this mod so far, but I stuck on map16 in the room with candelabras. I don't have any clue how to avoid all this.
dard22
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2017

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby Untitled » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:58 pm

ArchXeno wrote:Seriously enjoying this, which Touhou game(s) are the bosses from?

EPISODE I: All bosses are taken from Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.
EPISODE II: Youmu/Yuyuko are from Touhou 7, though the patterns are inspired more by Touhou 10.5, Komachi's from Touhou 9 (with inspiration from 10.5), Suika's from 7.5 (inspiration for patterns from 9.5/12.5), the rest from Touhou 11, Koishi's patterns inspired by a lot of things
Episode III: Sanae's more or less directly from Touhou 10 (with some inspiration from 12.3), Alice inspired by 10.5, Marisa's patterns are from all over the place, Reimu's are kind of their own thing, Yukari is from Touhou 7 (with one pattern from 9.5)

Everyone's sprites except Rumia, Flandre, and the Touhou 11 bosses are all taken from Touhou 12.3: Hisoutensoku; I don't know where the rest are from.

dard22 wrote:I'm really enjoy this mod so far, but I stuck on map16 in the room with candelabras. I don't have any clue how to avoid all this.

The general strategy is:
Spoiler: It's more fun to figure it out yourself but if you want to know
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby badcaradvice » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:16 pm

I played what would count was the original, and wasn't terribly impressed with it.

This, I am enjoying. I mean, it's nice to play DOOM with Touhou because I'm actually decent at DOOM. :V
User avatar
badcaradvice
 
Joined: 11 Jun 2017

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby insightguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:44 am

Untitled wrote:
insightguy wrote:from finishing it, the last boss is a complete pushover to the point where i killed him without even moving. his painstate is abusable to no end.


First off, there's no 'He's' in the game (I'm pedantic), and sorry but /which/ final boss? Episode I? Episode II? Episode III? Does this include Extra Bosses?

EDIT: It's also worth noting that Episode IV (MAP21 to MAP30) isn't actually finished yet, so don't warp to those maps - there's nothing there!

(and also sorry but if you claim to beat Reimu without moving I'll calling total bull because her entire fight conspires to make that 5000% not possible, especially on Hard or Lunatic)

I'm talking about that spider mastermind variant at the last episode. the one colored black with green eyes.
User avatar
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^
Banned User
 
Joined: 23 Mar 2011

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MrRumbleRoses, TweetMeme [Bot] and 5 guests