Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.4 OUT!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Batandy

Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.4 OUT!]

Post by Batandy »

Castlevania : Simon's Destiny is a standalone non-profit GZDOOM based fan game born as a love letter to this legendary franchise.
This mod aims to reinvent the very first NES title of the franchise with a nostalgic yet brand new first person gameplay.
All the levels from the classic NES era game have been reimagined like never before, experience the tale of Simon's fight against Dracula and his army of the night!
V1.4 Trailer

V1.3 Trailer

Launch Trailer

Teaser Trailer

Gameplay Video (Early version)

Download (Last Version: 1.4)
https://batandy.itch.io/simonsdestiny

--------HOW TO INSTALL--------

* Download Gzdoom (Version 3.4.1 or newer) at https://zdoom.org/downloads
* Put Castlevania.ipk3 in the same folder of Gzdoom
* Open Gzdoom and select "Castlevania: Simon's Destiny" in the game window (Make sure video settings below the selection box are set on "Hardware (OpenGL)")
* Play!

-Nestalgic Music Pack-
Classic tunes from the original game!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/x3ycs46bq ... talgic.pk3
-Super Castlevania IV Music Pack-
Music from SCIV! Quite tense and atmospheric!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3p3wycs41 ... V_SCIV.pk3
-Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth Music Pack-
Made By KenjiKusanagi
Music from this WiiWare exclusive!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bho8yclmgnc5m ... c.zip?dl=0
-SOTN Dracula Sound Pack-
Made By YukesVonFaust
Your favorite Dracula voice is back in this sound pack!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0uslx5qsms2z2 ... k.pk3?dl=0

Send me your own addons and i'll add them here!

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Batandy on Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:29 am, edited 25 times in total.
grouchbag

Re: Castlevania : Simon's Destiny

Post by grouchbag »

Love the looks of this.Very pretty! :)
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

Looks awesome and faithful to the original series! Can't wait to play it!

How is the development progress so far?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Toyoch wrote:Looks awesome and faithful to the original series! Can't wait to play it!

How is the development progress so far?
Right now one level out of six is done, all the subweapons and half of the monsters are in, this project was born as a small 72 hour coding speedrun i did last week so things have just started, stay tuned :)
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

holy crap holy crap yes yes YES

Recently I've been eagerly awaiting Dusk's release on Halloween but if this is ready by then (and no worries if it isn't I'll still wait) then I'll probably be playing this instead because it's a Castlevania Doom by one of the masters of making Doom like other games thank you so much
DarkWarrior1995

Post by DarkWarrior1995 »

"I am interested in this."

That aside, mother of Belmont, does this look promising. As was noted earlier, it's definitely faithful to the Castlevania franchise, even down to the awesome music. Good work!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Holy crap man. That's just awesome. SOTN and NES. If you put some SNES IV reference, i'll die in peace. :p
fluff

Post by fluff »

This looks insanely impressive. Showed it to a friend whose a big Castlevania fan (but not a Doomer) and even he can't wait to play it.

You've managed to translate the gameplay surprisingly well from the looks of it.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Batandy wrote:
2:03 WALL CHICKEN!

P.S. Do you plan on doing symphony of the night after this?

by any chance, what did you take more inspiration from: pink baron's nightmare of sin, Combinekeegan's GMOTA or just straight up the original castlevania?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

insightguy wrote: P.S. Do you plan on doing symphony of the night after this?

by any chance, what did you take more inspiration from: pink baron's nightmare of sin, Combinekeegan's GMOTA or just straight up the original castlevania?
I don't think so, SOTN is a masterpiece and it would be really hard to recreate it, if i'll ever make a Metroidvania in Doom i'll probably do my own thing.

I know both of those mods you mentioned, but my main inspiration was just the original game because I didn't want to get influenced by any existing work, I wanted to do something completely from scratch
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

i know it seems silly, but for as great as this project looks, i was hoping that you were gonna continue the dante's inferno mod, only reason why is because it felt more your own creation instead of something based on another game property. I love your mods but i'd love to see something thats more your own vibe
Jared Deberjerak

Post by Jared Deberjerak »

I'm not even a castlevania fan and i'm already excited for this project. I think you really did a good job on translating castlevanias's 2D gameplay to 3D. Also, did you use tiles from the games for textures?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

chronoteeth wrote:i know it seems silly, but for as great as this project looks, i was hoping that you were gonna continue the dante's inferno mod, only reason why is because it felt more your own creation instead of something based on another game property. I love your mods but i'd love to see something thats more your own vibe
I was unhappy with that Dante mod, that's why i decided to stop working on it, but if you want to see something completely of my own, i'd recommend to check Beneath The Oaks, it's incomplete but i will continue the development after GS2.
Jared Deberjerak wrote:I'm not even a castlevania fan and i'm already excited for this project. I think you really did a good job on translating castlevanias's 2D gameplay to 3D. Also, did you use tiles from the games for textures?
Just the curtains and windows are from the games, everything else is custom stuff and heretic 2 textures
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

This is amazing, can't say more. Grandeh!
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Ozymandias81 wrote:This is amazing, can't say more. Grandeh!
Thanks! :D

I've started working on the second map, here's a screenie

Last edited by Blue Shadow on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shrunk screenshots (https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56065).

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”