Castlevania: Simon's Destiny

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Castlevania: Simon's Destiny

Postby Batandy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 am

Castlevania : Simon's Destiny is a non-profit GZDOOM based fan game born as a love letter to this legendary franchise.
This mod aims to reinvent the very first NES title of the franchise with a nostalgic yet brand new first person gameplay.
All the classic subweapons and items are in, same thing for the monsters.

Trailer:

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Download Coming Soon
Last edited by Batandy on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Batandy
Have you tried blowing into the cartridge?

Re: Castlevania : Simon's Destiny

Postby grouchbag » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:54 am

Love the looks of this.Very pretty! :)
grouchbag
He he he

Postby Toyoch » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Looks awesome and faithful to the original series! Can't wait to play it!

How is the development progress so far?
Toyoch

Postby Batandy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Toyoch wrote:Looks awesome and faithful to the original series! Can't wait to play it!

How is the development progress so far?

Right now one level out of six is done, all the subweapons and half of the monsters are in, this project was born as a small 72 hour coding speedrun i did last week so things have just started, stay tuned :)
Batandy

Postby SiFi270 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:01 pm

holy crap holy crap yes yes YES

Recently I've been eagerly awaiting Dusk's release on Halloween but if this is ready by then (and no worries if it isn't I'll still wait) then I'll probably be playing this instead because it's a Castlevania Doom by one of the masters of making Doom like other games thank you so much
SiFi270

Postby DarkWarrior1995 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:49 pm

"I am interested in this."

That aside, mother of Belmont, does this look promising. As was noted earlier, it's definitely faithful to the Castlevania franchise, even down to the awesome music. Good work!
DarkWarrior1995

Postby GAA1992 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Holy crap man. That's just awesome. SOTN and NES. If you put some SNES IV reference, i'll die in peace. :p
GAA1992
Demons are a disease. I am the cure.

Postby fluff » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:37 pm

This looks insanely impressive. Showed it to a friend whose a big Castlevania fan (but not a Doomer) and even he can't wait to play it.

You've managed to translate the gameplay surprisingly well from the looks of it.
fluff

Postby insightguy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:54 am

Batandy wrote:

2:03 WALL CHICKEN!

P.S. Do you plan on doing symphony of the night after this?

by any chance, what did you take more inspiration from: pink baron's nightmare of sin, Combinekeegan's GMOTA or just straight up the original castlevania?
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^

Postby Batandy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:35 am

insightguy wrote:P.S. Do you plan on doing symphony of the night after this?

by any chance, what did you take more inspiration from: pink baron's nightmare of sin, Combinekeegan's GMOTA or just straight up the original castlevania?

I don't think so, SOTN is a masterpiece and it would be really hard to recreate it, if i'll ever make a Metroidvania in Doom i'll probably do my own thing.

I know both of those mods you mentioned, but my main inspiration was just the original game because I didn't want to get influenced by any existing work, I wanted to do something completely from scratch
Batandy

Postby chronoteeth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:37 am

i know it seems silly, but for as great as this project looks, i was hoping that you were gonna continue the dante's inferno mod, only reason why is because it felt more your own creation instead of something based on another game property. I love your mods but i'd love to see something thats more your own vibe
chronoteeth
abubub

Postby Jared Deberjerak » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:08 am

I'm not even a castlevania fan and i'm already excited for this project. I think you really did a good job on translating castlevanias's 2D gameplay to 3D. Also, did you use tiles from the games for textures?
Jared Deberjerak

Postby Batandy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:31 am

chronoteeth wrote:i know it seems silly, but for as great as this project looks, i was hoping that you were gonna continue the dante's inferno mod, only reason why is because it felt more your own creation instead of something based on another game property. I love your mods but i'd love to see something thats more your own vibe

I was unhappy with that Dante mod, that's why i decided to stop working on it, but if you want to see something completely of my own, i'd recommend to check Beneath The Oaks, it's incomplete but i will continue the development after GS2.

Jared Deberjerak wrote:I'm not even a castlevania fan and i'm already excited for this project. I think you really did a good job on translating castlevanias's 2D gameplay to 3D. Also, did you use tiles from the games for textures?

Just the curtains and windows are from the games, everything else is custom stuff and heretic 2 textures
Batandy

Postby Ozymandias81 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 am

This is amazing, can't say more. Grandeh!
Ozymandias81
Doom is a State of Mind... Out of Control.

Postby Batandy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:47 am

Ozymandias81 wrote:This is amazing, can't say more. Grandeh!

Thanks! :D

I've started working on the second map, here's a screenie

Last edited by Blue Shadow on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shrunk screenshots (https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56065).
Batandy

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects