Doom: The Reconquest is a experimental strategy mod/game/hybrid, where you use Doom and other monsters to fight battles. It is heavily inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic, so you'll see "stack" system in here, and various bits (weekly creature/unit growth, resource system). But there are no castles, instead, you construct buildings on a conquered area. The main objective (right now) is to win a battle in the "Black Castle".
You will find more information how to play this in the game (INFO or the "Book of Help");
44 unit types (Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Custom)
14 main attributes
Known bugs/problems include:
- Messages don't fit sometimes in the GUI
- Spelling and language mistakes (english is not my native)
- Dangerous spells that may mess with unit behaviour: Hypnotize - not tested enough, Mirror image - units get stuck
- The function that spawn enemy units will break if it will have to spawn extreme amounts of units (1000 mancubi), and it will spawn units outside maps (extremely unlikely though)
If you encounter any bug please tell me, and possibly make a screenshot what happened.
OK, here are screenies :
Sorry, not available anymore due to tinypic failure. Sample arena fights
- Fixed crash on new GZDoom versions, actual version : 3.2
- Added 2 new monsters : Psychic Soul, Efreet
- Random enemy army now have 20 instead of 14 types of units
- Arena GUI - added unit list
- Unit price changes
* More bug fixes
- Added Arena
- Changed EVERY monster, mostly damage changed, behaviour, and some stats too.
- Changed unit info, ditched the description, instead there is attack list and resistances and special abilities
- Zombieman -> Trooper
- Changed how Attack works. Now it increases damage by 1,5%. Ditched "base attack" stat.
- Changed Bless and Curse spells (because there is no "base attack" now). They increase/decrease damage by 50%.
* Numerous bug fixes on monsters!
- Added possibility to transmute resources to mana in alchemy
* Strength -> Fortitude
* Deployment controls -> battle controls
* Wrong reiver icon fixed
* Green arrow crashing fixed
* Map gui fixes (resources not updating)
* Fixed attributes for enemies not working (spells cast at enemies did not have increased duration)
* Fixed growth for enemies with 1 growth
* Fixed centaur damage
* Fixed bad resource values for dwelling level 6
- Dwellings (formerly habitats) changed so you can choose which unit you want to have by looking at liked terrain for units
- Starting army and some terrain at the start is cleared
- You must build your first dwelling, but you can choose (by liked terrain) what will your first unit be
- Map menu and control tweaks
- Deployment preview of formations
- Ending spiced up a bit (added statistics)
- Changed unit info in the book so you can look at all your potential units. Also added info on damage types
- Added music from Warlords II Deluxe to HQ
- Resurrection immunity for bosses
- Some other fixes in ZScript for monsters and some code upgrade.
Last edited by krokots on Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 23 times in total.
The fact that you made something like this on the Doom engine that works at all is really impressive. I haven't noticed any bugs other than ones you've mentioned, though I haven't done that much yet. My only issues so far are the menu controls (minor) and how complicated the stats seems. It's probably just a learning curve, but trying to keep track of all the different kinds of magic appears quite daunting.
isaacpop23 wrote:The fact that you made something like this on the Doom engine that works at all is really impressive. I haven't noticed any bugs other than ones you've mentioned, though I haven't done that much yet. My only issues so far are the menu controls (minor) and how complicated the stats seems. It's probably just a learning curve, but trying to keep track of all the different kinds of magic appears quite daunting.
The "Book of Help" have information about attributes, skills etc. But yes, I probably can add another section about some concepts, like "pain" or "nodes".
Your "hero" can have three main stats, which will increase by levels. So you can choose attack, health and accuracy if you don't want to mess with magic. Or wisdom and some magic types, but your units will not become more powerful then (except when you cast buffs on them). You know, it is pretty complicated now when I think of it . If you want to know anything in particular let me know.
You can now design your armies, no more complete random. Rest of changes in the changelog. Most of the bugs are gone hopefully, now it is just not balanced. Next update probably I plan to do some serious monster tweaking - balancing, damage changes, etc. Spells I won't touch yet I think.
BTW here is a "bonus" - spell list
Electric resist 65
Lightning bolt 7
Lightning wall 34
Chain lightning 8
Fire resist 2
Fire bolt 29
Fire shield 49
Fire wall 35
Flame wave 50
Explosive resist 66
Rock blast 32
Meteor shower 33
Cold resist 67
Ice bolt 45
Ice blast 46
Ice spike 27
Ice wall 31
Cold ring 44
Mind resist 68
Psychic shock 48
Mind blast 47
Pain reflection 4
Toxic cloud 36
Health boost 55
Toxic aura 37
Shrinking ray 19
Energy resist 70
Holy bolt 39
Ghost bolt 52
Mirror image 24
Life steal 3
Sun ray 38
Thanks, though it is very different from Heroes. It just borrows some mechanics. I'd say it is more similar to some total war game. Or any RTS.
I updated to 1.1, and you can now just watch battles in the arena. If the campaign is too complicated, you can always enjoy gladiator-like battles now. It was created to balance monsters, and actually it was fun just to watch them fight, so I expanded it and it is now a part of the mod.
I included some example fights videos.
Also I did a new gameplay video with commentary, I tried to explain mechanics, but...well, I just forgot to explain some things.
As previous poster said this is very impressive. And as I said on youtube, this is crazy, the good kind of crazy . Haven't had the time to play it, but hopefully will try it some time in future. Watched the videos though .
Doom engine and sprites give very sweet retro look. Total doom war.
TY and cool you watched that through. I know Doom is not the best enviroment for this kind of game, but I always thought doom monsters could be used as an army. Their AI is basic but it still works enough to be fun. Feedback is appreciated, because it is hard to balance things out only by myself
Does it also offer an arena with 2 impassable monster lines so that they're forced to use just range attacks?
Easy usage of own monsters in this battle possible?
edit: Oh I see the mod is more complex than first thought. I found a youtube video of this before this thread. ^^ It was with a Baron of Hell and the first what I noticed was the obvious lack of range attacks, because of the doom AI fighting always as close range as possible.
So for a proper fight we need to test both. Not just close range. A baron fireball fight will change a lot compared to a baron close attack punch fight.
Have to admit this satisfied a itch I didn't know I had. I had a absolute blast playing through the mod, despite some balancing hitches. If you lose your army early for example, you will almost certainly never be able to recover because of how quick the enemy growth is.