Daytime Drama [VERSION 1.14 FINALLY HERE]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Daytime Drama [VERSION 1.14 FINALLY HERE]

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Three years in the making, this crossover, standalone TC based on the GZDoom engine is finally here and is now at Stable Version 1.00.

Video by ICARUSLIV3S (of an older build)

Video by leodoom85 (of an older build)

DOWNLOADS

Version 1.14 (With GZDoom x64 4.5pre Git Build to fix Skill Select Issue
Official Mirror
My composer has put out the unedited, full soundtrack for Daytime Drama on his Bandcamp.

You are Sanya K. Waffles, SSA of the recently de-funded Boredomdai Civil Defence. Your friends are captured by terrorists who storm a local TV station.

You just happen to be the only cop in the area not in on the terrorists' plan. You decide to cut them down, and quickly you find they're not your usual mooks. With deranged dolphin demons, facsimilies of cartoon characters and other denizens helping this seige, you know this isn't a typical coup d'etat.

You were supposed to be on vacation. Now you're gonna make them pay. Plus the government has alot to answer for in the end, but that's not your place. Your place: make the fuckers who did this attack pay.
Spoiler: Items
Spoiler: Weapons
Spoiler: Enemies
The game also features a unique soundtrack by RodScorpion, with a really neat chiptune feel to it.
Last edited by SanyaWaffles on Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 40 times in total.
spoone

Re: Daytime Drama [Initial Public Beta]

Post by spoone »

Ok first of all I have to say as much as I love this so far, what the heck is this mod about actually? It seems to take inspiration from the modern Cartoon Network with the enemies (funny seeing ice bear in this by the way) and Duke Nukem 3d. Honestly i kinda like how original this Tc is and I would like to see you finish this.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

That was pretty cute!Enjoyed very much! :D
MSPaintR0cks

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

Finally! :D
I had the pleasure of testing this little gem a while ago and its so great to finally see it being shown to public now^^
Loved the entire wackiness of it and just how much work and care you put into everything... the graphics, the textures etc. I remember stopping during the levels, just to look at all the magazines and posters that you can find everywhere. Can`t wait to see what all the other guys and gals on Zdoom will say about it. :3
SanyaWaffles

Post by SanyaWaffles »

leodoom85 wrote:Here's a few screenshots of mine:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ar3u74b6nus3 ... BA1La?dl=0
:)
Thank you for those, since mine had a bit of linear filter BS going on (I need to take some better ones).

I like this screencap alot that you took. Kind of shows the detail i put into certain areas of the TC. also IDubbbz and Filthy Frank.
spoone wrote:Ok first of all I have to say as much as I love this so far, what the heck is this mod about actually? It seems to take inspiration from the modern Cartoon Network with the enemies (funny seeing ice bear in this by the way) and Duke Nukem 3d. Honestly i kinda like how original this Tc is and I would like to see you finish this.
I was going a bit with the Rise of the Triad development style: go all out. Go crazy with stuff to make some of the limitations not seem so... limiting. As for the actual plot, as I alluded to, a cop is stuck behind enemy lines and has to save her friends from a coup d'etat lead by some crazy cult lady. And a polar bear helps her out.
grouchbag wrote:That was pretty cute!Enjoyed very much! :D
Thank you! :D
MSPaintR0cks wrote:Finally! :D
I had the pleasure of testing this little gem a while ago and its so great to finally see it being shown to public now^^
Loved the entire wackiness of it and just how much work and care you put into everything... the graphics, the textures etc. I remember stopping during the levels, just to look at all the magazines and posters that you can find everywhere. Can`t wait to see what all the other guys and gals on Zdoom will say about it. :3
Some of your advice really helped the game. Specifically the size of certain pickups did make them hard to see. Plus you, along with a few others, motivated me to post it here. I was kind of shy to the idea but I decided to go ahead.

Thank you for your help again btw.
SanyaWaffles

Post by SanyaWaffles »

I am currently uploading a new build and PK7 file that fixes several issues, including the missing objects in maps MAP05 and MAP06 (and possibly MAP07) - the police lamp object got lost in the transition to ZScript. I have re-implemented it.

It also fixes in a secret level a long troll corpse.

I also updated the bundled wigzdoom executable to the last dev-build code.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Sanya, the video. You can add the video in the OP. :thumb:
SanyaWaffles

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Added your video to the original post. :D
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I had the fortune of testing this and I plan on testing the new build again tomorrow.

This is a really well done TC, despite the simplicity of the graphics. Don't underestimate the references, gameplay and overall 'wtf lol' factor that I encountered during playthrough. The weapons are balanced, even though I did play on Easy the first time. Monster variety is not big and the sprites do not have angled versions, BUT you hardly notice that when you're running away from flying dolphin heads or crazy shotgun-wielding Gumballs who can't wait to bash ye fookin 'ead in. There is a lot of fun in this mod. It's a jokewad done right. Give it a try. You'll be impressed after the first time you shoot a cartoon character in the face and actually be proud of it.
xenixsystemv

Post by xenixsystemv »

Hello! Played a bit of the TC earlier, and I recorded a video where I attempted to speedrun MAP01. For some reason it wouldn't work on the previous Git build but it worked fine after I updated to the new GZDoom build.

The only other bug I found was when picking up a Doritos nade I got several ACS errors (specifically "I don't know what "nukage" is").

Anyway, here's the video I recorded in 60 FPS (accidentally loaded SynthDoom... oops):

edit: whoops, bbcode.
SanyaWaffles

Post by SanyaWaffles »

xenixsystemv wrote:The only other bug I found was when picking up a Doritos nade I got several ACS errors (specifically "I don't know what "nukage" is").
Gonna watch the video here but I wanted to address I'll look into the ACS error. I haven't ran into it personally, but that doesn't mean much. Lud did find you can launch yourself out of an otherwise secure arena, so I maybe you inadvertantly triggered something.

EDIT: Wow. Very fast work done there. I never thought people would be doing speedruns of my TC so soon.
SanyaWaffles

Post by SanyaWaffles »

New builds are up! The following fixes are implemented (since the initial release):
  • Lud reported you can launch yourself out of the MAP02 arena. I have capped the area off with Block Player lines.
  • Replaced the cartoonish chaingun sound with a more appropriate one.
  • Added another music track to MAP05 and SECRET01
  • I added Tags to the Weapons, so they should show a nicer name than their class name.
  • The version bundled with WIGZDoom is now up to date (as of this typing) with the GZDoom master branch.
I couldn't find the ACS errors, but I'm gonna do some more testing to be sure.

EDIT: ddrama.pk7 file should have forced update. I don't think robocopy is copying the dates properly.
Ed the Bat

Re: Daytime Drama [Updated 03 March 2017]

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'm trying to play MAP02 but am finding an invisible wall blocking me here.
I can't find anywhere else to go next, so I presume this is my destination, and see no actual reason I wouldn't be able to go forward, but...

If it's useful to know, I'm playing with the standalone version (ddrama.pk7).
leodoom85

Re: Daytime Drama [Updated 03 March 2017]

Post by leodoom85 »

Ed the Bat wrote:I'm trying to play MAP02 but am finding an invisible wall blocking me here.
I can't find anywhere else to go next, so I presume this is my destination, and see no actual reason I wouldn't be able to go forward, but...

If it's useful to know, I'm playing with the standalone version (ddrama.pk7).
That's strange. But I used the recommended way (using all the files in the .zip) and it has no problems...

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”