Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (p11 N64up)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (p11 N64up)

Post by Kinsie »

This project aims to modify the high-quality, elaborate TC "ports" of console versions of Doom, stripping them down a bit so that you can play cool gameplay mods like Demonsteele with them. Th... that's cool with you, right?

Part 1: The PSX Doom TC
This first part in particular is a modified version of Fenderc01's PSX Doom TC, allowing you to enjoy the atmospheric lighting, simpler geometry and lesser monster variety with the arsenal and beastiary of your choice.

Changes from the PSX Doom TC:
  • All of the custom monster and weapon definitions have been removed, to make way for gameplay mods
  • Custom MENUDEFs and SBARINFO have been removed, to make way for gameplay mods
  • Nightmare Spectres have been replaced with standard Spectres
  • The weird insistence the original game had on replacing the Archvile actor with a meathook has been kept and strengthened with MAPINFO DoomEdNum replacing, for hopefully better compatibility
  • The frankly bizarre insistence on disabling all decals through bizarre ANIMDEFS hacks has been removed
  • Music has been bundled in, re-encoded at a lower sampling rate, and converted to Impulse Tracker when possible to make it a little more viable filesize-wise
Changes in Version 1.1
  • Replaced all level music with Impulse Tracker ports of the original MIDI data, dramatically reducing file size!
Changes in Version 1.2
  • Fixed several broken switches in maps 42, 47, 52 and 90
  • Fixed two Imps stuck on ledges in MAP79.
  • Fixed text screens lacking music/narration and having bad text wrapping
Download (~42mb)
Spoiler: Original PSX Doom TC Credits
Part 2: Doom 64 Retribution

In this second part, I've malformed Nevander's wonderful Doom 64 port to make way for new set of feet, hooves and wheels to roam through these dark and blurry corridors for the first time, free from the menace of terrible edits of an outdated Doomsday TC!

Changes from Doom 64 Retribution:
  • Converted the whole shebang from WAD to PK3 thanks to Graf's WadExt tool
  • All of the custom monster and weapon definitions have been removed, to make way for gameplay mods
  • Custom SBARINFO have been removed, to make way for gameplay mods
  • Weapons and inventory items specific to Doom 64 have been replaced by a RandomSpawner that drops something vanilla, both making way for pre-existing gameplay mods and allowing future mods to specifically add new items into these slots.
  • Nightmare Imps have been replaced with a RandomSpawner, for the reason listed above, that spawns a standard Imp.
  • Ditto the Mother Demon and a Spider Demon.
  • Modified Soulspheres used in two maps for specific effects have been replaced with standard soulspheres (the Soulsphere in Hectic is deleted from the map during quitting, so 100% SHOULD still be possible)
Changes for Version 1.4
  • Redid the whole thing based on D64 Retribution 1.4, likely fixing a raft of map bugs in the original port, making things more consistent AND adding two episodes of usermaps that don't seem very good!
  • Replaced the MIDI files with the OGGs from D64MUS.PK3 because I hate having to change my soundfont for one mod that much.
  • Added a CVAR that uses the power of ZScript to toggle Doom64's player class gravity. Sort of. I think it only works when starting a new game. This can probably be done better.
  • Replaced the horrible "Shadow Knight" monster in the code with a standard Hell Knight spawner.
  • Modified MAP01 to use the actual Doom Explosive Barrels instead of the weird "Barrels, but using Doom64's DoomEdNum" thing, to hopefully improve the chances of the MAP32 exit opening when playing mods.
  • General under the hood stuff that goes with porting a WAD to a PK3.
Changes for Version 1.4a
  • Updated usermaps with Nevander's 1.4a fixes
  • Added missing SpawnIDs to actor spawners
  • Rewrote the gravity changing function to be both better and not use ZScript. Turns out I was reinventing the wheel the whole time. Who knew?
Changes in Version 1.4b
  • Fixed "fake" unmaker standins used in scripts not working.
Changes in Version 1.5
  • Merged in changes from Nevander's 1.51 release.
Changes in Version 1.5a
  • Replaced all the Ogg Vorbis music with Impulse Tracker ports of the original MIDI data, dramatically reducing file size!
Changes in Version 1.6
  • D64 Options menu is now visible on Simplified Options Menu
  • Fixed being stuck when using a security camera in ABS02, OUT03, OUT04
  • Fixed missing text string in the TC levels for Doors and Objects Opened Elsewhere.
  • Fixed overlapping text with default bigfont in Intermissions
  • Added additional "fake item" actors used in TC maps
Changes in Version 1.6a
  • Changed up D64 Gravity option to only lower gravity at level start and do nothing if turned off, to accomodate Hideous Destructor and other mods with changed gravity.
Download (~17mb)
Spoiler: Original Doom 64 Retribution Credits
Last edited by Kinsie on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:28 am, edited 12 times in total.
Rozy

Re: Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (Part 1

Post by Rozy »

This is pretty cool and saves me the work of doing it myself again. Any plans to do one that integrates PSX lost levels too?
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Nice!
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Nice work. In case you never saw my reply somewhere in my thread here or maybe it was on DW, but you're more than welcome to do this for my D64 TC as well once it's released and been through some bugfixing and stuff, of course it would mainly be for the maps.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Nevander wrote:Nice work. In case you never saw my reply somewhere in my thread here or maybe it was on DW, but you're more than welcome to do this for my D64 TC as well once it's released and been through some bugfixing and stuff, of course it would mainly be for the maps.
I wasn't going to say this until you did your release in March, but this is my plan for what Part 2 will be. :)
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

Found a bug in Part 1: some textures in certain maps had gone end up randomized
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

skyrish10 wrote:Found a bug in Part 1: some textures in certain maps had gone end up randomized
Could you please provide some screenshots or really any indication as to where I should look? There's 90 friggin' maps.
skyrish10

Post by skyrish10 »

Here is the problem
Spoiler:
At Map02
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Assuming you're talking about right across from the start, that looks fine to me. Make sure you're using Doom 2 as your IWAD, and try loading con_psxdoom after your gameplay mod of choice.
skyrish10

Post by skyrish10 »

Kinsie wrote:Assuming you're talking about right across from the start, that looks fine to me. Make sure you're using Doom 2 as your IWAD, and try loading con_psxdoom after your gameplay mod of choice.
I'm using Doom 2, no other gameplay mods loaded

must be a oversight in the Anidefs lump
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

skyrish10 wrote:I'm using Doom 2, no other gameplay mods loaded

Do you have Smooth Textures Addon?
skyrish10

Post by skyrish10 »

Grigori wrote:
skyrish10 wrote:I'm using Doom 2, no other gameplay mods loaded

Do you have Smooth Textures addon?
None, just vanilla
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Plain ol' doom2.wad. No animation issues. You probably have something in your autoload doing stuff.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

By the way Kinsie, I noticed that some mods that I have that affect water don't work. What's different about water in PSX? Because it doesn't look that much different to me. Can anything be done to make it "mod friendly" or is it too much trouble?

Edit: Mods I was talking about are Revised Splashes and Smooth Fluids.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

IIRC they use different flat names for animated fluids. This could probably be changed, but it'd probably be a manual change across 90 maps, so I'm not exactly jumping at the bit to do it.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”