LegenDoom [1.6] LDL [1.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

LegenDoom [1.6] LDL [1.3]

Postby Yholl » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:42 pm

CHANEGLORG

Use a stable build of ZDoom or GZDoom to run this.

Version - 1.6
LEGENDOOM
DNOWLDOAD

Version - 1.3
LEGENDOOMLITE
DONWLAOD
For those interested, there is now LegenDoomLite, which only contains Legendary Monsters. Should be compatible with everything (except LegenDoom itself you broken barnacle).
Feel free to run it with Colorful Hell, Lithium, DRLA Monsters, all sorts of cool monster mods.

[Click on images for fullsize screenshots]

The premise of this mod is quite simple; bringing the Legendary mechanics from Fallout 4 to Doom. If you are unfamiliar with those, here's basically what happens.
Random enemies on the map are chosen to be Legendary enemies, with increased health. Bringing them down to half will cause them to fully heal and transform (kinda) into a more powerful form, attacking you relentlessly and with even more damage than normal. Killing a Legendary enemy at any point will cause them to drop a completely random Legendary weapon, which will have an extra effect altering its behaviour! There are currently 60 different effects, ranging from things like increasing the effectiveness of healing items, firing bouncing projectiles, doubled explosion size, or even a triple shot attack! These effects are seperated into four tiers of general awesomeness, with each tier having a different color representing it, as well as cool weapon sprites.

On the ground, Legendary weapons will glow brightly the color of their rarity.

[Green] is Common, and has a bunch of slick, chrome metal weaponry for looks.
    [Blue] is Uncommon, and are the old Demon Eclipse weapons.
    [Purple] is Rare, and are the new Demon Eclipse weapons.
    [Orange] is Epic, and are the Doom64 weapons.

While generally Epic would be better than Common, most effects are different enough that it is difficult to consider one superior to another. Rarity isn't everything here!

When you pickup a Legendary for the first time, it'll display a large set of graphics onscreen, showing the name, effect and rarity of the weapon, as well as a cool close up look at it. It'll fade out slowly over time, but you can cancel it instantly by pressing Fire, Use or AltFire. Keep that in mind while running over one when firing at enemies!

You can't carry multiple versions of the same weapon, your arsenal is restricted to the standard Doom weaponry.
Obviously if you find a Legendary gun you already have a Legendary of, you can't pick it up straight away, you'll have to drop your previous gun first.
To drop a gun, so you can pick up a different Legendary weapon or whatever, hold down AltFire.

The Hud section in the top right shows what weapons you have, what tier of Legendary they are, and has a little icon representing what they do. For new players, it can be hard to remember the effects for each icon, so press L, or bind a key to Weapons Effect Info, at the bottom of Customize Controls. By pressing this button, you'll bring up a screen detailing the effects and names of all your currently held weaponry.

And of course, this mod comes with a ton of menu options! There you can set a whole variety of options, from toggling particles, recoil scaling, starting weapons, even the health and damage of Legendary enemies! I hope these options will allow you to customize your game just the way you want it!
One option enabled by default reminds you how to drop weapons when you walk over Legendaries you cannot pick up; remember to disable it once you've got the hang of swapping weapons.

One of the biggest, most important features of this mod, is that it is almost 100% compatible with any monsters, even custom ones added by other mods! I say almost because there are some Legendary weapon effects that need monsters to be modified in order to work with them, but there is infact an option to toggle those weapon effects off, leaving the mod completely compatible with custom monsters! One mod that is already 100% compatible with LegenDoom is CactusHege's Colorful Hell, which has a huge variety of color-themed murder minions ready to kick your face in. Of course, be prepared to die many times, the already strong monsters in that have a chance of being even stronger if they become Legendary...

EDIT: I DIED MANY MANY TIMES THIS IS SO GODDAMN HARD IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY

And be warned; Legendary enemies are very, very dangerous...
ImageImage
If you don't bring your A-game, they'll wipe you out with little effort!
Last edited by Yholl on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:33 am, edited 11 times in total.
Yholl
I will hit you with my Decorate.

Re: LegenDoom [Almost Done]

Postby MarisaKirisame » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:48 pm

This is looking pretty good. Hoping for a soon-ish release. :P
MarisaKirisame
Ordinary Magician

Postby Redead-ITA » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:08 pm

its cool looking and i like the high compatibility makes it very interestingi hope it will release soon
Redead-ITA
From Happy to Madman in unknow Hours

Postby -Ghost- » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:17 pm

Good choice on making the D64 weapons the epic ones. Will you be using the smoother animated ones with hands?
-Ghost-

Postby Ribo Zurai » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:19 pm

I love these kinds of mods. Can't wait to put my hands on it.
Ribo Zurai

Postby Yholl » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:26 pm

-Ghost- wrote:Good choice on making the D64 weapons the epic ones. Will you be using the smoother animated ones with hands?
Everything is quite smoothly animated thanks to the dread robot known as Sgt_Shivers, as well as Perkristian's and a few other's spritework, and yes, the D64 stuff uses Cage's extra frames to look extra delicious and awesome.

Basically, weapons have:
    Smooth animation
    Scalable non-gameplay affecting vertical recoil
    Gun smoke
    Gun sparks
    Bullet and shell casings
    Faster weapon switch speed
    Pretty much exact conformance to vanilla ticrates and calculations

Obviously the faster weapon switch changes things a lot, but apart from that the standard weapons are basically vanilla gameplay-wise.
And of course, the stuff like the smoke, sparks etc. is all toggleable.
Yholl

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:03 pm

this'll be a great way to keep yourself occupied until DRLA gets updated, i'll bet.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
It's one head of a ride!

Postby edward850 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:18 pm

I'll repost this for the archives;
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby Hege Cactus » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:33 pm

It's safe to say I am extremely hyped for this mod myself
Hege Cactus

Postby SAraisXenoQueen » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:39 pm

Well, if DRLA is any indicator...

I'd honestly love to play a game made by the DRLA+DRPG teams. I play the damned mod all the time.
SAraisXenoQueen
I really should have chose a better name.

Postby comet1337 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:48 pm

explosive chainsaw
'i found the weapon of the gods!' -yholl

also can't wait to get utterly destroyed by legendary armageddon cacodemons
comet1337

Postby Nevander » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:04 pm

Loving the look of this mod. Can't wait to try it out.

Also, what maps are in that video and the screenshots in the OP? Is it part of the mod?
Nevander
The Doomslayer

Postby edward850 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:06 pm

Nevander wrote:Also, what maps are in that video

If Back to Saturn X's maps and music are not identifiable to you on sight, you're playing the wrong maps.
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby Nevander » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:11 pm

The last full megawad or mapset I played through to entirety was Valiant. I have BTSX downloaded but haven't played it yet. Looks like I will be soon! I have tons of WADs downloaded that I still haven't completed. In fact, just recently I finally completed TNT: Evilution after almost 15 years of never getting past a few levels. I know, horrible excuse for a Doomer. :(
Nevander
The Doomslayer

Postby Yholl » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Nevander wrote:the screenshots in the OP?
That is Epic2 in all its weird egyptian/alien/future/urban/egyptian glory.
Yholl

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods