The Mansion: Ao Oni

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby Yommiao » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Greetings, members of the ZDoom community!

Today the final release date of the Mansion project has arrived, at last! Hopefully, the two years of development were worth it!

To encapsulate, the Mansion project, is a game that essentially recreates Ao Oni in 3D, allowing people to play the game in a new perspective of view. While additionally offering extra content that wasn't present in the original game. One should take note that a major difference between the original Ao Oni and this game are the chase sequences. While the original made use of a time mechanic, this game instead relies on luring the Oni to rooms. Almost each room and closet can be used at least once as a safespot from the Oni. If the player evades the Oni too quickly, chances are he will get stuck due to Doom's inferior A.I. Hopefully, this will not interrupt or prove a significant annoyance during regular gameplay.

It contains 10 playable classes, the Mansion map divided in two maps, and two other bonus levels. Which adds up to a total amount of 4 maps.

Download the mod here!

STORY:
Spoiler:


CLASSES:
Spoiler:


SCREENHOTS:
Spoiler:


Surely, I would welcome constructive criticism and feedback, remember. I don't perceive this as the best Doom project myself either, so please rate it and leave a message behind to share your thoughts about this! Thanks in advance.

CREDIT:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Yommiao on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Yommiao
 
Joined: 22 Jul 2015

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby grouchbag » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:44 pm

I like the looks of this.The sky is very beautiful as well.Will play tomorrow. :D
User avatar
grouchbag
I'm just a little old lady
 
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Location: I forgot

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby doony » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:51 am

Madotsuki is a playable character ?! downloading... :!: :!:
User avatar
doony
playing dood
 
Joined: 27 May 2009
Location: more than a year developing a gameplay mod

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby Yommiao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:27 am

grouchbag wrote:I like the looks of this.The sky is very beautiful as well.Will play tomorrow. :D


Thank you! I applied my utmost efforts into this wad, so it's great to hear at least one person likes it! c:
User avatar
Yommiao
 
Joined: 22 Jul 2015

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby Jaxxoon R » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:36 am

Oh yeah, I remember this. Used to be Hihicyclyn's project before she left Doom modding apparently. Said she'd let anyone continue it if they wanted, I considered doing so but I guess now I don't have to.

I'm still not too keen on Mr. Game n Watch being a playable in a horror mod, or all the weird memes like Sonic.exe or I.M. Meen running around. Kind of too silly, that.
User avatar
Jaxxoon R
 
Joined: 04 May 2014

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby Yommiao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:27 am

Jaxxoon R wrote:Oh yeah, I remember this. Used to be Hihicyclyn's project before she left Doom modding apparently. Said she'd let anyone continue it if they wanted, I considered doing so but I guess now I don't have to.

I'm still not too keen on Mr. Game n Watch being a playable in a horror mod, or all the weird memes like Sonic.exe or I.M. Meen running around. Kind of too silly, that.


Actually, I.M. Meen is already absent, MR. Game & Watch is just one of those few unusual classes that contrast a bit more with the other classes. Everything related to memes, or stupid jokes is removed aside from Sonic.exe.
User avatar
Yommiao
 
Joined: 22 Jul 2015

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby ibm5155 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:59 pm

I'm still traumatized with that ao oni vesion with a single 70mb wave music
User avatar
ibm5155
Just Spooky
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2011

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby Yommiao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:17 pm

ibm5155 wrote:I'm still traumatized with that ao oni vesion with a single 70mb wave music


That's a pretty bad excuse for disliking the modification. That's completely irrelevant to what this mod is today, and shouldn't be mentioned in a version where those issues are long gone. If you're really so inclined to complain, then do it about something that's in regards to the latest version.
User avatar
Yommiao
 
Joined: 22 Jul 2015

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby SamuraiSTALIN » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:55 pm

Yommiao wrote:
ibm5155 wrote:I'm still traumatized with that ao oni vesion with a single 70mb wave music


That's a pretty bad excuse for disliking the modification. That's completely irrelevant to what this mod is today, and shouldn't be mentioned in a version where those issues are long gone. If you're really so inclined to complain, then do it about something that's in regards to the latest version.


Whoa there, pickle. Where did he say he disliked it? So much for responding to criticism :roll:
SamuraiSTALIN
 
Joined: 21 Jan 2014

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby Yommiao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:00 pm

SamuraiSTALIN wrote:
Yommiao wrote:
ibm5155 wrote:I'm still traumatized with that ao oni vesion with a single 70mb wave music


That's a pretty bad excuse for disliking the modification. That's completely irrelevant to what this mod is today, and shouldn't be mentioned in a version where those issues are long gone. If you're really so inclined to complain, then do it about something that's in regards to the latest version.


Whoa there, pickle. Where did he say he disliked it? So much for responding to criticism :roll:


I just found his quote unnecessary, and it doesn't even qualify as criticism since it's not relevant to this mod. A statement like that gives me the feeling that all this work of improvement was for nothing because some people will perceive the game in the same way, regardless of the changes, don't pull conclusions if you haven't even played the modification itself. I have complete respect for people who criticize the game for valid points, and this was not one.

Besides, my response was completely polite and did not contain insults at all. You're the one who's nitpicking on me for no reason whatsoever.
User avatar
Yommiao
 
Joined: 22 Jul 2015

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby phantombeta » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:02 pm

Putting WAD files in the root of PK3 files is VERY bad. Why are you even using a PK3? This mod is literally just a WAD file inside a PK3.
Doing this wastes RAM. You're loading a ~73 MB WAD file into RAM for no reason. Seriously, make the download just the WAD file.
User avatar
phantombeta
In the meadow of sinful thoughts, every flower's a perfect one
 
Joined: 02 May 2013
Location: The United Soviet Socialist Dictatorship of Hueland
Discord: phantombeta#2461
Twitch ID: phantombeta_
Github ID: Doom2fan
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby SamuraiSTALIN » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Yommiao wrote:
Besides, my response was completely polite and did not contain insults at all. You're the one who's nitpicking on me for no reason whatsoever.

Image
Last edited by SamuraiSTALIN on Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamuraiSTALIN
 
Joined: 21 Jan 2014

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby Yommiao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:05 pm

phantombeta wrote:Putting WAD files in the root of PK3 files is VERY bad. Why are you even using a PK3? This mod is literally just a WAD file inside a PK3.
Doing this wastes RAM. You're loading a ~73 MB WAD file into RAM for no reason. Seriously, make the download just the WAD file.


All right. One of my friends gave me that suggestion and it convinced me due to the fact that the filesize decreased upon doing this, but if you say so, I will change it ASAP.
User avatar
Yommiao
 
Joined: 22 Jul 2015

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby wildweasel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Ideally, you could do this instead:
Using ZIPs as WAD replacement
User avatar
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Postby Yommiao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:06 pm

SamuraiSTALIN wrote:Image


Oh, my! What a legitmate response! Nice try circumventing confrontation with facts by childishly posting a GIF!
User avatar
Yommiao
 
Joined: 22 Jul 2015

Next

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests