Droplets - Updated 11/10/2018!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Droplets - Updated 11/10/2018!

Post by Josh771 »

Droplets: Simulated Blood

Droplets
is not a mod intended to simply make your game gorier or to add flashy effects. It's a procedural blood mod that tries to mimic sprays and blood splatters using very basic particles, and it can be adjusted anywhere from Mild drips and squirts to Excessive, gushing sprays. Blood drips from ceilings and makes liquid surfaces, like water, foggy. This is the blood mod for the Doom player that appreciates attention to detail and added visual complexity.

Droplets works with Doom 1 & 2, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife. It's not only for Doom!
Spoiler: Screenshots
Spoiler: Compatibility
Download the latest Droplets! (v1.3.1 Updated 11/10/2018)

On Load Order:
Make sure you load Droplets after any content that replaces monsters or blood effects. If you want to use Droplets but it isn't compatible with your favorite mods, you can always request compatibility here or send me a PM, but I am only likely to make compatibility for largely popular mods and large demands.
Spoiler: Old Changelog
Last edited by Josh771 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 118 times in total.
Endless123

Re: Droplets - A Blood Modification

Post by Endless123 »

That's really good for an addon so small :D
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I like this. Ironically, it's actually pretty realistic in the amount of blood spawned, as compared to something like Brutal Doom or Ketchup Mod. Would you consider making it GZDoom-enhanced with the flat-3D floor blood like those other mods? After seeing the possibilities, blood-pool sprites are a bit jarring :)

8-)
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Droplets too vertical in aspect, and also they're very, VERY shiny (don't use pure white!). This feels a lot like Revolution X blood.

also the excess splat sprites on the floor is very reminiscent of Amulets & Armor.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Caligari_87 wrote:Would you consider making it GZDoom-enhanced with the flat-3D floor blood like those other mods? After seeing the possibilities, blood-pool sprites are a bit jarring :)
I'd love to do this, and would have in the first place. I might have to look into ways to make those myself (I'd rather not just steal them from ketchup).
leileilol wrote:Droplets too vertical in aspect, and also they're very, VERY shiny (don't use pure white!).
Yes, I did make the blood very shiny. :) It's almost cartoony (ever play Conker's Bad Fur Day?) so I might tone it down a little. And by "vertical in aspect" I assume you mean they fly up too much? I mostly did that so that they would produce the neat spatters on the walls even at some distance. I guess I should maybe have some ranged hitscans that produce directional, high-velocity spatters in addition to the droplets.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

plz post video demo too :)
mallo

Post by mallo »

Aww, I thought it's a mod for Blood. Image

Anyways, I like this! I like how blood turns into decals on walls! In next version, you should add blood colors (like, blue for Cacodemon, green for Baron...).
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

mallo wrote:Anyways, I like this! I like how blood turns into decals on walls! In next version, you should add blood colors (like, blue for Cacodemon, green for Baron...).
That was also my original intention. I know the decals use alpha maps... is there something I'm missing about defining the blood so that it will dynamically change colors? Or do I have to manually redefine the Baron and Caco actors to use a new blood actor?
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

You have to redefine, but not make a new blood actor. Add Bloodcolor Green or Bloodcolor Blue to the new Hell Knight/Baron and Cacodemon, respectively.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:You have to redefine, but not make a new blood actor. Add Bloodcolor Green or Bloodcolor Blue to the new Hell Knight/Baron and Cacodemon, respectively.
Should that automatically recolor the droplets (.png)? Also, can anyone tell me what kind of software I would use to create the floor decals -- would Blender work? I don't know that it's capable of saving .md3 models... I'm pretty clueless with model formats.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

There's Blender tutorials for GZDoom models around the forums somewhere, I know several of our folks here use it.

8-)
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Caligari_87 wrote:There's Blender tutorials for GZDoom models around the forums somewhere, I know several of our folks here use it.
I'll look into it. I'm already quite familiar with the basics of Blender itself, so all I need to know is how to get it into GZDoom. :)

EDIT: Looks like the Blender scripts for exporting .md3's are obsolete, at least the ones I found. Also the BloodColor property doesn't seem to apply to my blood:
Spoiler: ACTOR BloodSquirt replaces Blood
The above code demonstrates that the actual blood actor itself is an invisible actor that exists for 0 tics and sprays my blood droplet actors in a random direction. I think I may have to create two additional types of blood that use recolored blood if there is no way to make the droplet actors inherit the blood color (and I would be surprised if that were possible).
Skrell wrote:plz post video demo too :)
If someone would like to make a video demonstrating the effect of the mod, I'll gladly (learn how to) link it in the OP. I don't have any familiarity with recording gameplay and I may just put up some screenshots of some bloody aftermath.
Nash

Post by Nash »

SidDoyle wrote:EDIT: Looks like the Blender scripts for exporting .md3's are obsolete, at least the ones I found.
My modified Blender to GZDoom script works perfectly. It was initially made and tested for 2.66 but it works in every iteration of Blender thereafter. I export models to GZDoom everyday for an on-going project of mine and I have been upgrading Blender everytime a new version comes out. Script remains to work perfectly in every Blender release (I'm at Blender 2.71 at the moment).

If you are having problems exporting something, it's usually one of the several common problems - no object selected, object has no UV coordinates, etc. I can help you figure out what your problem is if you post the .blend file.
TheMightyHeracross wrote:You have to redefine, but not make a new blood actor. Add Bloodcolor Green or Bloodcolor Blue to the new Hell Knight/Baron and Cacodemon, respectively.
If you are using projectiles to generate the wall splats, you'll probably be disappointed to find out that at this current moment, there is no way to colourize the generated decals because the projectile does not inherit the actor's blood colour. So you'll always end up having red splats even if you're shooting monsters with coloured blood. I have a similar effect for the new Nashgore rewrite and I wound up with this problem. I have made a feature suggestion though so hopefully it should be possible soon.

If you absolutely need to work around this right now, you can define separate blood actors for the Cacos and Barons and define them as separate BloodTypes... but this is not an efficient way to do it and it won't universally support any blood colour (for every new blood colour that's defined, a new actor has to be made... and there's no way you could anticipate what colours of blood anyone in future is going to make. Too much maintenance needed)
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Nash wrote:My modified Blender to GZDoom script works perfectly. It was initially made and tested for 2.66 but it works in every iteration of Blender thereafter. I export models to GZDoom everyday for an on-going project of mine and I have been upgrading Blender everytime a new version comes out. Script remains to work perfectly in every Blender release (I'm at Blender 2.71 at the moment).

If you are having problems exporting something, it's usually one of the several common problems - no object selected, object has no UV coordinates, etc. I can help you figure out what your problem is if you post the .blend file.
The script I was using I believe is much more out-of-date than this. I'll give it another shot, and then if I have an issue I'll let you take a look at the .blend file.
Nash wrote:If you are using projectiles to generate the wall splats, you'll probably be disappointed to find out that at this current moment, there is no way to colourize the generated decals because the projectile does not inherit the actor's blood colour. So you'll always end up having red splats even if you're shooting monsters with coloured blood. I have a similar effect for the new Nashgore rewrite and I wound up with this problem. I have made a feature suggestion though so hopefully it should be possible soon.
That's a shame. I hope your suggestion gets some more attention and we see some new translation functionality. Also, can I translate true-color .png sprites in DECORATE? I experimented with it but it didn't turn out correctly at all.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I've never done any translating in ZDoom before (a miracle how I've managed to avoid the feature after all this time heh) but I don't think you can translate true colour PNGs. Only paletted images can be translated. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”